[play-framework] Play Framework with Maven?

wyz

Apr 19, 2010, 6:50:04 AM4/19/10
to play-framework
I am using play framework and found the design wonderful. But I feel
something is missing which is dependency management support. No doubt
ivy module is available, and I have tried it. But after using it for a
while, I think Maven may be a better alternative.

1. I think Maven is better supported than Ivy
IMHO Maven is already de-facto standard, while Ant is sort of
obsolete. There is a much larger community using Maven compare to Ivy.
Comparing the last release, Maven is veyr actively developed towards
its version 3, while there is no news from Ivy after it released
2.1.0 in Oct 2009. Furthermore, there is a company behind Maven,
compare to Ivy's lack of commercial support.

Better support means questions will be answered more quickly, better
tools support, and less learning required. (I had some experience with
Ivy 1.0 before. But I still need to research fair a bit with Ivy 2.1)

2. I think Maven fits better with Play Framework than Ivy
Compare to Ivy, Maven is a project management tool than a mere
dependency management. Which means it is possible to create a Maven
archetype to covert any Play project to a maven project, and leverage
on established tools support of Maven (e.g. m2eclipse) instead of
running play ivy:re and play eclipsify every time.

Furthermore, with Maven, we can also manage Play's version and modules
easier, by declaring everything inside the pom.xml, and even
overriding version of Play's own dependency.

It is just my 2 cents. And I will be more than pleased to contribute
time and effort to make Play a better framework. Thanks.

grandfatha

Apr 19, 2010, 3:38:20 PM4/19/10
to play-framework
I like the Python based CLI a lot more than anything Maven has to
offer.

Alexander Reelsen

Apr 19, 2010, 4:30:07 PM4/19/10
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 03:50:04 -0700 (PDT)
wyz <wangy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using play framework and found the design wonderful. But I feel
> something is missing which is dependency management support. No doubt
> ivy module is available, and I have tried it. But after using it for a
> while, I think Maven may be a better alternative.
Your listed pros were contras for me in order to prefer ivy :-)
However this is just a matter of taste I guess. I think it is pretty
hard to integrate play applications tightly with maven. If you only want
depedency management, check

http://cuisine.reelance.com/play/recipe/Using_maven_for_dependency_management_in_play_modules

If you want to build a maven module, go for it is well. The more choice
exists, the better.

--Alexander

peter hausel

Apr 20, 2010, 11:48:48 AM4/20/10
to play-framework
Hi wyz, maven is not a good candidate for play because play
applications (and play core for that matter) are not following maven's
layout and it does not really make sense to change that.

Besides that maven is disliked by many due to the complexity and
inflexibility it imposes on projects (personally I found maven repos
the only useful piece).

Ivy on the other hand does not require any layout changes and as a
bonus it supports maven repos - hence the choice.

HTH
peter

Nicolas Leroux

Apr 20, 2010, 12:58:44 PM4/20/10
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
On 20 apr 2010, at 17:48, peter hausel wrote:

Hi wyz, maven is not a good candidate for play  because  play
applications (and play core for that matter) are not following maven's
layout and it does not really make sense to change that.

Besides that maven is disliked by many due to the complexity and
inflexibility it imposes on projects (personally I found maven repos
the only useful piece).

Ivy on the other hand  does not require any layout changes and as a
bonus it supports maven repos - hence the choice.

That's a really nice summary of what I think as well :) I heard some good about graddle as well, I don't know if it is an option though I have never used it.

Nicolas