[plugin] New cloudfoundry plugin for Play-Framework

Benoît Courtine

May 4, 2011, 4:13:28 PM5/4/11
to play-framework
Hello,

Last days, I tried to push a Play application to Cloud Foundry. It
works well with a war export of the application.

But I had to print the Cloud Foundry "VCAP_SERVICES" env variable in a
Play page to get the MySQL credentials, and then redeploy the
application with theses credentials.

To solve this issue, I developped a little plugin, based on the
cloudfoundry-runtime library (used by Spring). This plugin reads the
variable, and configure automatically the play db variables to use the
CloudFoundry MySQL instance binded to the instance.

This plugin is available on GitHub: https://github.com/bcourtine/play--cloudfondry

All critics to improve this plugin are welcome.

Sincerely yours,
Benoît Courtine

Justin Holmes

May 4, 2011, 4:59:44 PM5/4/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
nice one, I have been working with the source on github to add a play as a framework option so you don't have to war your application

Benoît Courtine

May 5, 2011, 2:06:29 AM5/5/11
to play-framework
I was wondering if there was such a project: I am very interrested by
that. Can you link us your GitHub account?
I am sorry I can't contribute to this work since I know very few the
Ruby language.

Since it works for MySQL, I will try to improve my plugin by creating
bridges with the Play MongoDB/Redis/... plugins to configure
automatically the databases from CloudFoundry env.

Justin Holmes

May 12, 2011, 5:26:25 PM5/12/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
github.com/justinholmes/vcap

I have not got it successfully working yet, if I can't manage to get it working I will attempt to make a Scala version of vcap for deploying play apps across multiple servers, Scala Actors for deploying apps and monitoring the health of the 'cloud'