NYJN: Putnam Valley shooting victim questions speed of prosecutor's probe

Jeff Green

Oct 1, 2007, 7:49:32 AM10/1/07
to Planputnam

Putnam Valley shooting victim questions speed of prosecutor's probe
By TERENCE CORCORAN
THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: October 1, 2007)

Douglas Greenwich, a beefy electrician from Putnam Valley, lifts his T-shirt and shows a 2-inch red scar on his back.

It marks one of the spots where, he says, he was shot in June by process server Dennis Illuminate.

Illuminate first shot Greenwich in the chest, without provocation, after serving him with divorce papers in the driveway of his home, say Greenwich's lawyers, Joseph A. Orlando and Joseph T. Redd.

In the three months since, Greenwich, 52, has recovered and returned to work, and a special prosecutor in White Plains has been given the case.

But Orlando and Redd wonder why the prosecutor, Stephen Lewis, has yet to interview their client or present the case to a grand jury - and why Illuminate, 65, a former Kent police officer and councilman, still carries a gun.

"Our client is eager to get this moving forward," Orlando said last week. Greenwich was present, but silent, during the interview.

"I think that this is an attempted-murder case, and it's being treated like it's petty larceny," said Redd, a former prosecutor in Westchester and the Bronx.

"He shot someone in the chest and again in the back from point-blank. These were attempted death shots, yet there has been no effort to pull this man's pistol permit. ... This needs to be moved along."

Read the rest of the article here

Save the Internet: Click here

--
We have a profound national commitment to the principle that debate on public issues should be uninhibited, robust and wide-open, and that it may well include vehement, caustic and sometimes unpleasantly sharp attacks on government and public officials."
New York Times v. Sullivan, 376 US 254, 270 (1964)