Paint the Commons Pinko

1 view

Leo Romero

Oct 17, 2006, 5:30:55 PM10/17/06
to Pinko Marketing Discussion
I suck at marketing (is it okay to say "suck" in this group?), so
maybe you can help. I'm working with Wikia to create a free online
newsmagazine called the Commons. It's about non-profits that serve
the Silicon Valley, the people behind them, and the people that they
help -- written, edited & produced by students in the valley (that
there is my elevator pitch).

I've had this idea for awhile, and decided to just toss myself into
the water to see how fast I can swim - I scheduled an orientation on
November 11, and began promoting the event yesterday.

I posted project information on the Pinko wiki*- what is it, why do
it, how do it, etc. It would be nice if y'all could help me, maybe by
promoting the 11/11 event, referring me to students/teachers/schools
who might be interested, hooking me up with non-profits who want their
stories told, writing/editing the collateral, planning the event,
attending**, or just giving me bad advice.

Power to the Pinkos!
Leo

* http://pinkomarketing.pbwiki.com/Commons%20project
** http://poetry.meetup.com/392/calendar/5200085/

Scott Brooks

Oct 17, 2006, 8:28:52 PM10/17/06
to pinkoma...@googlegroups.com
sounds like a cool idea. good luck with it.
i hope that there is a way that you can make money on it and support it for years to come.
cheers
scott brooks
conceptshare.com

Eric Skiff

Oct 17, 2006, 9:15:04 PM10/17/06
to pinkoma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leo - that does sound like a very cool idea! I'll be very interested to learn about Silicon Valley nonprofits myself.

I can get you in touch with a bunch of NYC nonprofits if you ever set your sights on the east coast, but mainly in the field of Solving Homelessness and community services. (I work at Common Ground as my 9-5 )

-Eric
--
Eric Skiff
Nonprofit Web & Database Admin, Consultant,

Blog    : http://GlitchNYC.com
Podcast : http://AlternativeMusicShow.com
Puppets!: http://FeltUpTV.com

Leo Romero

Oct 19, 2006, 10:30:50 PM10/19/06
to Pinko Marketing Discussion
Thanks Scott. I'm doing this to pay some people back and to pay some
favors forward. But I think it does have the potential to sustain
itself (mainly because it costs me next to nothing but time, and some
pizza).

Leo Romero

Oct 19, 2006, 10:48:52 PM10/19/06
to Pinko Marketing Discussion
Thanks Eric. You're doing God's work at Common Ground (if you don't
believe in God, scratch that). To learn more about Silicon Valley
non-profits, checkout the Craigslist Foundation site.* They recently
ran a boot camp that drew 1200+ people. (That's where I met Tara, who
volunteered her time to give people like me great advice - one of the
favors I'm trying to pay forward). The Foundation designated my site as
the repository of notes** from the sessions, and we've been adding
audio indices of the podcasts as well. - Leo

* http://www.craigslistfoundation.org/index.php?page=Home
**
http://siliconvalley.wikia.com/wiki/Notes_from_the_Non-Profit_Boot_Camp

marcus

Oct 20, 2006, 6:54:14 PM10/20/06
to Pinko Marketing Discussion
As someone who used to run a not-for-profit, I assure you -- They need
all the exposure and help you can offer. It's harder than ever to
compete for attention and table time with foundations and grant
organizations -- especially if you're a small niche organization.

There is a definite need for your service!

marcus

Leo Romero

Oct 21, 2006, 7:00:22 AM10/21/06
to Pinko Marketing Discussion
Thanks for confirming the need, Marcus. There are so many good people
no one's heard about, and I hope we can help get the word out.