list of tags

Matt Andrews

Jun 15, 2009, 12:29:34 AM6/15/09
to Pinboard
I have the feeling I'm missing something utterly obvious, but just in
case I'm not, I'll blunder on regardless: is there a way to see all
my tags? If not, I'd suggest a "tags" item in the top nav to go to a
list of all my tags.

On a related note, it'd be nice to have Ajax support on the add-
bookmark page, a la Delicious, to suggest existing tags that match the
text entered so far (and perhaps the broader feature where others'
tagging is used to generate suggested tags).

maciej

Jun 15, 2009, 5:08:46 AM6/15/09
to Pinboard
No. you're not missing anything. Right now only the top 200 tags are
displayed in a tag cloud.

The next tag feature up is a textbox at the top of the page where you
can type in a tag. This should ideally have autocompletion, but that
is probably not going to come soon.
After that I'll figure out how to usefully display a full tag list.

> On a related note, it'd be nice to have Ajax support on the add-
> bookmark page, a la Delicious, to suggest existing tags that match the
> text entered so far (and perhaps the broader feature where others'
> tagging is used to generate suggested tags).

I like the idea of autocompletion, but am very ambivalent about
suggested tags from others. The practical obstacle there is that
pinboard is not intended to be a large service, so for any URL the
chance that someone else has tagged it will be low.

The impractical obstacle is that I'm not convinced it's a good idea to
see how other people have tagged something until you've tagged it
yourself.

Michael Williams

Jun 23, 2009, 3:48:41 PM6/23/09
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com

On 15 Jun 2009, at 02:08, maciej wrote:
> I like the idea of autocompletion, but am very ambivalent about
> suggested tags from others. The practical obstacle there is that
> pinboard is not intended to be a large service, so for any URL the
> chance that someone else has tagged it will be low.

I agree that suggesting other people's tags is not desirable (and
certainly not important to me), but I find it very useful if the
bookmarklet suggested/autocompleted my own tags. This both speeds
things up (less typing) and makes it easier to remember what tags I've
used in the past. Any progress on this? I don't see it in the roadmap.

maciej

Jun 23, 2009, 4:14:46 PM6/23/09
to Pinboard
It's not a priority for me, since there is so much work to do on the
server side. But I agree that it's nice to have, and I'm hoping to
conscript someone to help with this kind of front-end work once the
project gains a little traction.

Michael Williams

Jun 23, 2009, 4:29:04 PM6/23/09
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com

On 23 Jun 2009, at 13:14, maciej wrote:
> It's not a priority for me, since there is so much work to do on the
> server side. But I agree that it's nice to have, and I'm hoping to
> conscript someone to help with this kind of front-end work once the
> project gains a little traction.

Thanks for the update.

For me it's rather more than nice to have -- I can't remember what
tags I've used without it. Of course I respect your priorities -- and
am grateful for being allowed to try out Pinboard -- but the lack of
autocomplete will keep me using delicious for now.

Eric Hanchrow

Jun 24, 2009, 12:23:28 AM6/24/09
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
> For me it's rather more than nice to have -- I can't remember what
> tags I've used without it. Of course I respect your priorities -- and
> am grateful for being allowed to try out Pinboard -- but the lack of
> autocomplete will keep me using delicious for now.

Ooh, I hadn't realized that autocompletion wasn't in the near future.
I'll keep poking at pinboard for a while, but I too very much miss
this feature.

maciej

Jun 24, 2009, 6:27:42 AM6/24/09
to Pinboard
OK, tag completion purists... I poked around this morning and found a
javascript library that seems to work. I've added it to the
submission form, can you guys try and see if it fits the bill?
Expected behavior is this: tag will auto-complete if the first part
of the string matches, hit space bar to accept the auto-completed
suggestion.

I'd be particularly interested to hear if this works for IE users.

I think I'm going to make auto-completion a user option, since it adds
a bunch of JS cruft to the bookmarklet.

Thanks!

Maciej

Eric Hanchrow

Jun 25, 2009, 1:14:35 AM6/25/09
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! Once you (Maciej) reset my password I'll be able to try it out.

Matt Andrews

Jun 25, 2009, 1:53:08 AM6/25/09
to Pinboard
On Jun 24, 8:27 pm, maciej <mceglow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, tag completion purists... I poked around this morning and found a
> javascript library that seems to work.    I've added it to the
> submission form, can you guys try and see if it fits the bill?
> Expected behavior is this:  tag will auto-complete if the first part
> of the string matches, hit space bar to accept the auto-completed
> suggestion.
>
> I'd be particularly interested to hear if this works for IE users.
>
> I think I'm going to make auto-completion a user option, since it adds
> a bunch of JS cruft to the bookmarklet.

I tried tag completion in IE 7 and it seems to have worked as
expected.

As it is, I'd say it makes tagging considerably better. It "would be
nice", but would also expand the cruft, I guess, to see multiple
options for partial matches where they exist (e.g. see a dropdown with
"mobile" and "movies" on typing "mo").

Eric Hanchrow

Jun 25, 2009, 9:59:19 AM6/25/09
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Matt Andrews<wan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As it is, I'd say it makes tagging considerably better.  It "would be
> nice", but would also expand the cruft, I guess, to see multiple
> options for partial matches where they exist (e.g. see a dropdown with
> "mobile" and "movies" on typing "mo").

Agreed.

Michael Williams

Jun 26, 2009, 5:22:39 PM6/26/09
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com

Agreed. (Current implementation works fine for me on Firefox 3/Mac,
btw. Thanks for the quick change!)

maciej

Jul 1, 2009, 3:34:51 AM7/1/09
to Pinboard
I've just made auto tag completion a user setting, which defaults to
"off". So you'll need to go to your the settings page in order to
enable it.

The reason for the default setting is that I'd like the site to err on
the side of speed. If it turns out most people use the feature, I'll
reconsider the default.

Taryn

Jul 12, 2009, 11:58:41 PM7/12/09
to Pinboard

more on the tag cloud:

Mine's all of a sudden totally huge. I did a browser re-fresh, but
that didn't do anything. If I try to re-size with ctrl- or ctrl+, the
browser freezes.

Anyone else?