Firefox Addon

mistermojo

Dec 17, 2010, 12:27:57 PM12/17/10
to Pinboard
Hi, I recently joined pinboard because of delicious closing, and while
it's really great and I like the bookmarklet, I kind of miss the
delicious addon

The benefits of the addon were:

1. a sidebar of all my bookmarks and tags
2. being able to search and open sites/tags with the awesomebar
3. having a shortcut for saving a page

I'm just wondering if there are any official or unofficial plans to
develop addons

I did find one addon for pinboard, but it was for saving a link from
the context menu

Maurice

Dec 17, 2010, 10:29:45 PM12/17/10
to Pinboard
I have to agree with this post. I also recently signed up for Pinboard
after hearing about the imminent demise of delicious.

I'd like to see Sedona in the future.

rossgrady

Dec 18, 2010, 11:43:55 AM12/18/10
to Pinboard
Additional feature of the delicious Firefox addon that I'm personally
missing: The ability to right-click on a given tag and get a context
menu with "open in tabs" as an option.

I have a few tags that I use to organize sites that I visit on a
regular basis. Here's my particular user story:

As a content aggregator, I have a set of sites that I visit on a
regular schedule, roughly once a week. I would like to be able to
bookmark them all with a given tag, and then open all those sites in
tabs in my browser via some one- or two-click method, i.e. a context
menu option on the tag to "open in tabs"

I actually spent a few minutes this morning investigating the
possibility of hacking the existing delicious add-on (shhhh! don't
tell Yahoo!) but it relies on OAuth and the v2 API & thus it was
turning into a re-architecting job rather than a simple sed s/
api.delicious.com/api.pinboard.in/ task.

I haven't gone & actively deleted my bookmarks from delicious, so for
now I'm still using it for this particular task, but presumably at
some point that won't work any more.

Cheers,

Ross Grady

neovatar

Dec 30, 2010, 4:53:38 AM12/30/10
to Pinboard
I also recently switched from delicious to pinboard. I've written a
small firefox add-on which offers the functionality of the delicious
add-on I actually used most of the time: Having a toolbar button for
bookmarking and one for jumping to pinboard. It also adds a
quicksearch, so you can type 'pin bash' in the location bar and get
the piboard.in result page with matching bookmarks. I recently added
the feature to add bookmarks via context menu, mainly to see how this
is done in a firefox add-on ;-)

As I said, its small&simple but maybe its a start for you ;-)

You can download it from: http://simplepinboardbutton.neovatar.org/

Peace,
Tom

Zak B

Jan 14, 2011, 5:49:23 AM1/14/11
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
Until a Firefox addon turns up that is similar to the delicious one, you can replicate the behaviour you describe using a Firefox Live bookmark. This makes the bookmarks appear in a folder in your Firefox Bookmarks menu or the Bookmarks toolbar.

Navigate to a tag in your pinboard, in the address bar at the top there should be an orange RSS icon. Click it, Firefox usually then takes you to a "subscribe to this feed using..." page. Set the dropdown list option at the top to "Live Bookmarks", then click Subscribe now. You will be shown a dialog that lets you change the name of the folder and the parent - I usually put them on the Bookmarks Toolbar.

The folder will be updated every so often - I think by default Firefox polls the RSS feed from pinboard every 60 minutes or so. You can right-click the folder and open all in tabs.

Cheers,

Zak