Run Pinax on Google App Engine

Everson Alves da Silva

Jan 27, 2011, 10:43:13 AM1/27/11
to pinax...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Is it possible to run Pinax on GAE? If so, can someone point the directions?

Thanks

Issac Kelly

Jan 27, 2011, 10:50:10 AM1/27/11
to pinax...@googlegroups.com
Nobody that I know of has gotten pinax running on GAE.

It should be possible now that GAE is supporting a standard SQL-alike backend, but I think that's still in beta.

Venkatraman S

Jan 27, 2011, 10:50:32 AM1/27/11
to pinax...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 9:13 PM, Everson Alves da Silva <khro...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is it possible to run Pinax on GAE? If so, can someone point the directions?

I dont think this is possible as of now out-of-the-box; but if you can port the django orm to GAE and then
do the additional patching across the source, then it should be possible (but would require some time).

If i may ask, which functionality of Pinax do you want to use in GAE? There are some GAE open source
django apps which provide some features of Pinax , but piecemeal.

-Venky
http://theindianstreet.blogspot.com/
Message has been deleted

Everson Alves da Silva

Jan 27, 2011, 1:51:57 PM1/27/11
to pinax...@googlegroups.com
In fact there's no exact Pinax feature that I want; I need to use ( or build) an app that runs on GAE. I'll need things like forum, chat, blogs etc. I started by looking for good python CMS projects. I liked Pinax but could be any other good CMS/framework.

Ming

Jan 28, 2011, 8:28:16 AM1/28/11
to Pinax Users
On Jan 27, 10:50 am, Venkatraman S <venka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If i may ask, which functionality of Pinax do you want to use in GAE? There
> are some GAE open source
> django apps which provide some features of Pinax , but piecemeal.

Venky, is there a central list of such "GAE open source django apps"?
I've seen lists for general django apps, but nothing specifically for
GAE.

Venkatraman S

Jan 28, 2011, 8:31:34 AM1/28/11
to pinax...@googlegroups.com

Nate Aune

Jan 29, 2011, 10:53:47 PM1/29/11
to pinax...@googlegroups.com
May I ask why do you want to run Pinax on GAE? What benefits do you gain from running Pinax on GAE that you wouldn't have running on a normal web host?

Nate

Yarko Tymciurak

Jan 30, 2011, 4:38:29 PM1/30/11
to pinax...@googlegroups.com
I can answer for myself, and rather simply:

I want to move a church / community site off of the .... stuff they have it built with (html editing/ static).

Pinax social template might be a good starting point, but as calendars, docs, and groups (as well as logins) would all be (and currently are) used as google apps / google docs, and (up to a point) the hosting would be no / low cost, the motivation to make this port exist on GAE is (at least initially) very strong.

In any case - each application will have it's motivations for where / how to host,  and pinax is not a canned solution (i.e. not a drupal, or a plone), but rather a framework to build applications from, so the hosting choices are bound to be varied, and for varied reasons.

Regards,
- Yarko

Everson Alves da Silva

Jan 30, 2011, 10:37:10 PM1/30/11
to pinax...@googlegroups.com
Well, I'm planning to migrate a website with very high traffic, it's hosted in a VPS, but does not give me that much of money in return. I was trying to avoid the costs, hosting in the free quota of GAE.

Venkatraman S

Jan 31, 2011, 12:06:33 AM1/31/11
to pinax...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Everson Alves da Silva <khro...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, I'm planning to migrate a website with very high traffic, it's hosted in a VPS, but does not give me that much of money in return. I was trying to avoid the costs, hosting in the free quota of GAE.

Amazon gives you a slice free for 1 year...check that out. In the meantime, probably you can hope that something matures
in the GAE arena ;)

-V
http://blizzardzblogs.blogspot.com/