Reelblack's 11th Anniversary Celebration June 26

The Coordinator

Jun 14, 2013, 5:20:49 PM6/14/13
to pi...@googlegroups.com
rbheader
Reelblack Celebrates Its 11th Anniversary June 26 at Vivant Art Collection
Proceeds Go Toward Completing Our Feature Film.

What: Reelblack 11th Anniversary Celebration at Vivant

When: Wednesday June 26, 2013 6-10pm

Where: Vivant Art Collection, 60 N. 2nd Street Philadelphia, PA 19106

Cost: Pay what you wish / $11 (suggested donation)

RSVP and donations can be made online at http://reelblack11th.eventbrite.com

FREE ON-STREET PARKING AFTER 5PM IN CENTER CITY ON WEDNESDAYS

On Wednesday June 26, 2013, Philly-based film production company Reelblack will celebrate its 11th anniversary with a special fundraiser/ reception at Vivant Art Collection, 60 N. 2nd Street in Old City. Proceeds will go towards the completion of its upcoming feature-length concert film Last Night At The Five Spot.

The wine and cheese reception will include a sneak peek at Last Night at the Five Spot, surprise giveaways and music by cooldjfrank. Expect many of the folks Reelblack has documented over the years to also make appearances.

"Even though I'd been making movies since High School, it wasn't until I had those movies out and in festivals that things really began to take off," explains Dennis. When asked why they are celebrating the 11th and not the 10th anniversary, he responds, "I guess I'm not good at math. We should've celebrated last year but with the feature coming out, this is perfect timing."

In July 2002, filmmaker Michael Dennis (aka Mike D.) premiered the documentaries Jazzyfatnastees: In Process on Mind TV and Philly Boy: A Movie About MC Breeze at International House. This was the birth of Reelblack, a film production and promotion company specializing in "Good Movies 'bout Black Folks." The following Summer his narrative short, Next Tuesday, made its TV debut.

Dennis has been responsible for five other short films that have played festivals and over 75 episodes of Reelblack TV, a half hour entertainment interview show that airs Thursday nights at 8pm on PhillyCAM. Reelblack is currently in the process of completing Last Night at the Five Spot--a feature length concert starring the artists of the Black Lily, and Black Film Now a documentary about the current state of African-American film based on interviews originally compiled for Reelblack TV. Through its promotions arm, Reelblack has helped to bring dozens of African-American films to local screens. Dennis is also a member of Councilman David Oh's Black Film Advisory Committee, whose mission is to create more opportunities to local filmmakers of color.

"As someone that works in the arts, I believe it is important to celebrate our art and culture leaders and champions," says Florcy Morisset, owner of Vivant Art Collection, who is hosting the event. "What Mike D. has done for the Philadelphia community for the last decade with the promotion and creation of black film is amazing... and it warrants a grand celebration!"

"I'm really proud to have been able to make films that celebrate the culture of my hometown for the past decade," says Dennis, who expects to have Five Spot in festivals early next year. "I hope everyone will come out and celebrate with us as we embark on the next phase."

Michael Dennis
Reelblack.com