Piccolo SVG?

Samuel Robert Reid

Jul 23, 2008, 12:51:24 PM7/23/08
to piccol...@googlegroups.com
My project would benefit from a SVG to piccolo adapter, e.g. something
like SVGNode extends PNode. Does anybody else have any interest in such
a thing, or has anyone else worked on something like this? We could
potentially use a renderer like SVG Salamander or Batik.

Sam Reid

Michael Heuer

Jul 23, 2008, 1:02:37 PM7/23/08
to piccol...@googlegroups.com
Samuel Robert Reid wrote:

I have a node that renders SVG to an Image using the Batik transcoder
and displays that.

http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/using/transcoder.html

Wrapping the Batik JSVGCanvas in a node would probably also work and
provide dynamic SVG support, but much of the interaction stuff would
probably need to be removed or adapted.

http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/using/swing.html

Including Batik as a dependency is a royal mess though, probably 15
jars when all is said and done.

michael

M. Rohrmoser

Aug 19, 2008, 6:12:31 PM8/19/08
to piccol...@googlegroups.com
Samuel Robert Reid schrieb:

There must have been some sort of SVG support in Jazz - at least plans
for such:
http://www.piccolo2d.org/doc/jazz/release-1.1/apidocs/edu/umd/cs/jazz/io/svg/package-summary.html

I didn't look into the code - but it would be really great to design
ZUIs with a svg editor load it into piccolo2d and refer to nodes using
the svg node id to attach event handlers and manipulate node properties,
trafo, paint e.g.

This should be possible in theory as svg is a sort of a scenegraph
itself, right?

I don't know how complex a translator svg scenegraph -> piccolo2d
scenegraph must be to have practical value and accepting e.g. inkscape
svg documents.

But to have something like that at hand would really rock - graphics
design and application development could be separated!

I think supporting the basic svg idioms are not unsurmountable but what
about filters, css and animations?

Native svg support in piccolo2d - that sounds tempting!

M. Rohrmoser

Aug 19, 2008, 7:12:34 PM8/19/08
to Piccolo2D Developers