Thanks for nothing.

Nick S Bensema

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

Well, thanks to approximately 300 Phoenix voters, I'll be bumming rides
every time I want to do anything more than about two miles away on the
weekend.

And had you read the proposition, you would have realized that it benefited
you people too. It would have funded some much-needed street improvements.
That would have cinched it for me if I had to drive everywhere.

You people must really enjoy fighting traffic, and expending gas on your
air conditioner while you're idling on a crowded freeway.

--
Nick Bensema <ni...@primenet.com> 98-KUPD Red Card Holder #710563
~~~~ ~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Hey, that kinda looks like... Tom Selleck!"

Brian Trosko

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

Nick S Bensema <ni...@primenet.com> wrote:
: Well, thanks to approximately 300 Phoenix voters, I'll be bumming rides
: every time I want to do anything more than about two miles away on the
: weekend.

I'm sorry I couldn't have been one of them.

Chris

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

Sorry about that.... too many people couldn't get a bus ride to the polls, I
guess.
I wish I couldv'e voted.
Chris

Nick S Bensema wrote:

> Well, thanks to approximately 300 Phoenix voters, I'll be bumming rides
> every time I want to do anything more than about two miles away on the
> weekend.

Keith Wood

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

In article <5v5c8k$7...@nntp02.primenet.com>,

ni...@primenet.com (Nick S Bensema) wrote:
[Well, thanks to approximately 300 Phoenix voters, I'll be bumming rides
[every time I want to do anything more than about two miles away on the
[weekend.

Buy a bike. Get a job and buy a car. What right do you have to steal MY
money for YOUR convenience?

Joseph Michael Bay

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

ni...@primenet.com (Nick S Bensema) writes:

>Well, thanks to approximately 300 Phoenix voters, I'll be bumming rides
>every time I want to do anything more than about two miles away on the
>weekend.

Well, we don't need to take your guff, monkey boy.

>And had you read the proposition, you would have realized that it benefited
>you people too. It would have funded some much-needed street improvements.
>That would have cinched it for me if I had to drive everywhere.

You know what? We DID read it, and we don't much cotton to them
gummint types telling us they're gonna help out with the roads. The
roads are the way we like them. So back off.

>You people must really enjoy fighting traffic, and expending gas on your
>air conditioner while you're idling on a crowded freeway.

Yeah, but it's a DRY HEAT.

--
Joe Bay B1FF
Brought to you by a grant from the Annenberg CPB project, R()0LZ!

Joseph Michael Bay

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

kei...@bctv.com (Keith Wood) writes:

>Buy a bike. Get a job and buy a car.

Use lots of gas. It's not HOT ENOUGH in Phoenix yet. Sure, it's over
a hundred sometimes, but it's a DRY HEAT.

>What right do you have to steal MY
>money for YOUR convenience?

I have . . . THIS right.

(It's really more of a visual thing. Sorry).

Neil

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

On 10 Sep 1997 07:29:01 -0700, Brian Trosko <btr...@primenet.com>
wrote:

>Nick S Bensema <ni...@primenet.com> wrote:

>: Well, thanks to approximately 300 Phoenix voters, I'll be bumming rides

>: every time I want to do anything more than about two miles away on the
>: weekend.
>

>I'm sorry I couldn't have been one of them.

Grinch.

Neil
Arizona State University
http://www.public.asu.edu/~neils

Keith Wood

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

In article <5v7ae1$r...@nntp02.primenet.com>,

[In article <2zwF0wUN...@bctv.com>, Keith Wood <kei...@bctv.com> wrote:
[>In article <5v5c8k$7...@nntp02.primenet.com>,

[>ni...@primenet.com (Nick S Bensema) wrote:
[>[Well, thanks to approximately 300 Phoenix voters, I'll be bumming rides
[>[every time I want to do anything more than about two miles away on the
[>[weekend.
[>
[>Buy a bike. Get a job and buy a car. What right do you have to steal MY
[>money for YOUR convenience?
[
[Can't drive. Bad eyes, remember?
[
[Prop 1 wasn't all about the bus service, either. It was also about
[street improvements and left-turn lanes and all kinds of neat things.
[
[So you'd be stealing MY money for YOUR left-turn lanes and crap like
[that.

You mean that you would NEVER ride a bus that made left turns?

[ You're already stealing my money improving the freeway by my
[house...

And you would never ride a bus on the freeway . . .

[The drivers of the world have and will continue taking my money to
[allocate more and more space for your machines.

Nope. The merchants of the world will continue to spend THEIR money on more
parking spaces so that people will park there and spend THEIR money at those
stores.

[In fact, I bet by the end of the century, one or more states will have
[subsidized auto insurance, if they haven't already. Who knows, it may
[be federally-funded, which means I'll be paying for your auto insurance
[even if you live in Alaska, which is The Anti-Arizona!

How much would you care to bet?

Hmmm . . .don't bother, I won't be in AZ to collect by then.

Nick S Bensema

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

In article <5v7qds$3...@nntp02.primenet.com>, Wotan <wmcclatc> wrote:
>In article <5v5c8k$7...@nntp02.primenet.com>,
>Nick S Bensema <ni...@primenet.com> wrote while drinking:

>>Well, thanks to approximately 300 Phoenix voters, I'll be bumming rides
>>every time I want to do anything more than about two miles away on the
>>weekend.
>
>Now, don't balme us becuase you are too cheap to buy a car. Or is that
>you lost your license and are longer allowed o drive?

Thank you for flaming, but no, that's not it. I can't see well enough
to drive. I've posted this over and over again.

And your generalizations about the bus seats being uncomfortable and the
riders being smelly... that was also a rush to judgment.

In this argument I've tried to keep from jumping to conclusions, but
that, too, puts me at a disadvantage to the rest of society. It would
be so simple if I could just respond with something like "If cars are
so smart, why do they live in igloos?" but I can't. If I did, between
our combined stupidities, Godwin's Law would be invoked within three
days.

The sad thing is, I could have won that thing if I would have just told
all of my friends to tell their friends, far enough ahead of time.

I'm going to stop arguing, because so much of American society today is
based on the idea that every Americcan should be able to operate a
motor vehicle. Much like the ancient hatred between nations and
religions on other continents is the American attachment to automobiles.

I'm ditching this thread, but chew on this:

A license is supposed to certify that someone is qualified and competent
to perform some sort of function. What other licensed activity, other
than driving, results in multiple accidents or other malpractice EVERY
SINGLE DAY?

Phoenix Radio Man

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

People!
I hate to say it, but the 266 voters that made the difference in failing
to pass the initiative were swayed by a group that propounds no new
taxes of any kind.
Also, flaming a person for being "too cheap to buy a car" is uncalled
for. I doubt very much you would feel the same after spending a year in
a blind man's shoes, would you? I am blind and have to depend on this
"joke for a bus system". And thats exactly what it is compared to
smaller cities with better bus systems: A JOKE!

I have to depend on this system every day and it currently does not meet
my needs. I live off of a minor side street (nearest bus route is over a
mile away on the weekdays). Ever try walking that far when its 122????

It appears to me that we should make bus riding more appealing, so lets
make driving more expensive (how about 10 cents per gallon at the pump
for all personal vehicles). 1 .1 cent sales tax isn't that much, but 10
cents per gallon would drive the point home in a hurry. Besides, that is
where we are headed now. I will be writing the Az State Legislature with
this proposal and I will continue to bug them until one or the other
happens (either we get an improvement in the transit system, or everyone
starts paying where it hurts most, at the gas pump).

Nick S Bensema

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

In article <2zwF0wUN...@bctv.com>, Keith Wood <kei...@bctv.com> wrote:
>In article <5v5c8k$7...@nntp02.primenet.com>,
>ni...@primenet.com (Nick S Bensema) wrote:
>[Well, thanks to approximately 300 Phoenix voters, I'll be bumming rides
>[every time I want to do anything more than about two miles away on the
>[weekend.
>
>Buy a bike. Get a job and buy a car. What right do you have to steal MY
>money for YOUR convenience?

Can't drive. Bad eyes, remember?

Prop 1 wasn't all about the bus service, either. It was also about
street improvements and left-turn lanes and all kinds of neat things.

So you'd be stealing MY money for YOUR left-turn lanes and crap like

that. You're already stealing my money improving the freeway by my
house... in fact, not only can't I cross Dunlap there anymore on my
way to Metrocenter, but they're probably going to forget to put the
sidewalk back in over there, so I'll have to walk in the gutter. And
by the way, I don't quite recall voting on that.

The drivers of the world have and will continue taking my money to
allocate more and more space for your machines.

In fact, I bet by the end of the century, one or more states will have

subsidized auto insurance, if they haven't already. Who knows, it may
be federally-funded, which means I'll be paying for your auto insurance
even if you live in Alaska, which is The Anti-Arizona!

Bill

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

I think they voted it down because they realize they messed up the first time
and what is really needed is elevated monorails with park 'n ride lots along
the freeways. Busses really aren't gonna cut it except as collectors to get
people to elevated rail stations if they don't want to drive and park it in the
lots.

If the people had head their head out some years back a system would already
be in place and operating.

Lester S. Garrett wrote:

> (Follow-ups set to az.general and phx.general)
>
> On 9 Sep 1997 22:47:00 -0700 ni...@primenet.com (Nick S Bensema) wrote in
> az.general:

> > Well, thanks to approximately 300 Phoenix voters, I'll be bumming rides
> > every time I want to do anything more than about two miles away on the

> > weekend. . . .
>
> You're welcome. Glad to be among the "300" :-)*
>
> -={lsg}=-

William A.B. House

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

ni...@primenet.com (Nick S Bensema) writes:
>Keith Wood <kei...@bctv.com> wrote:

>>ni...@primenet.com (Nick S Bensema) wrote:

>>>Well, thanks to approximately 300 Phoenix voters, I'll be bumming
>>>rides every time I want to do anything more than about two miles
>>>away on the weekend.

>>Buy a bike. Get a job and buy a car. What right do you have to
>>steal MY money for YOUR convenience?

>Can't drive. Bad eyes, remember?

Can't see theft is theft either, eh?

>Prop 1 wasn't all about the bus service, either. It was also about
>street improvements and left-turn lanes and all kinds of neat things.

Well, if your fascist government wouldn't be wasting so much money on
persecuting drug users...

...remove the log from your *own* eye...

William A.B. House

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

Yes, you are blind.

You are a blind thief.

Isn't there a church in the area who cares enough to heal you?
Give you rides?

Or, are they too busy out there with Sherrif Joe preaching to the one's
they voted to persecute and funding his campaign with donated money?

If your church doesn't believe in Charity, but instead believes in
persecuting non-violent people or stealing, turn the tabels over!!!

Don't ask what a bunch of Mafia Thugs called Government can do for you,
and to others. Start a charity or it doesn't need to be done.

Considering the white-washed churches we have today, you'd probably do
better to move closer to work, instead of being a thief.

Phoenix Radio Man <Phx_ra...@juno.com> writes:

>People!
>I hate to say it, but the 266 voters that made the difference in
>failing to pass the initiative were swayed by a group that propounds
>no new taxes of any kind.

NO NEW THIEVERY!

>Also, flaming a person for being "too cheap to buy a car" is uncalled
>for. I doubt very much you would feel the same after spending a year
>in a blind man's shoes, would you? I am blind and have to depend on
>this "joke for a bus system". And thats exactly what it is compared to
>smaller cities with better bus systems: A JOKE!
>
>I have to depend on this system every day and it currently does not
>meet my needs. I live off of a minor side street (nearest bus route is
>over a mile away on the weekdays). Ever try walking that far when its
>122????
>
>It appears to me that we should make bus riding more appealing, so
>lets make driving more expensive (how about 10 cents per gallon at the
>pump for all personal vehicles). 1 .1 cent sales tax isn't that much,
>but 10 cents per gallon would drive the point home in a hurry.
>Besides, that is where we are headed now. I will be writing the Az
>State Legislature with this proposal and I will continue to bug them
>until one or the other happens (either we get an improvement in the
>transit system, or everyone starts paying where it hurts most, at the
>gas pump).

80% of the people of Phoenix believe in wasting money on drug wars.

William A.B. House

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

anti...@asu.edu (Neil) writes:
>Brian Trosko <btr...@primenet.com> wrote:

>>Nick S Bensema <ni...@primenet.com> wrote:

>>: Well, thanks to approximately 300 Phoenix voters, I'll be bumming
>>: rides every time I want to do anything more than about two miles
>>: away on the weekend.

>>I'm sorry I couldn't have been one of them.

>Grinch.

Vote Thief.

At least you can still bum ;-)

It's called charity when you get a ride!

And yes, I've given a few rides to bums myself.

Phoenix Radio Man

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

William A.B. House wrote:
> Yes, you are blind.
> You are a blind thief.
Accusations of this sort only reveal what a lout you really are.
Blind thief, huh? I run a small business here. I pay taxes like you do.
And you call me a thief?!?! Brother, you have another thing comming.
Besides, I barely make enough for myself, let alone trying to cover
transport costs (ever ride a cab in this town, it ain't cheap).

> Isn't there a church in the area who cares enough to heal you?
> Give you rides?
Heal me? You are kidding, right? How does one regrow eyes that aren't
there? Also, most churhes (especially in this area) don't have people
using them except on wednesday and sunday nights. Whats your problem
here Billy? You afraid I might be right? Are you so afraid of a blind
person that you attack him in the newsgroups, publically?!?! You have a
problem.

> Or, are they too busy out there with Sherrif Joe preaching to the one's
> they voted to persecute and funding his campaign with donated money?

Watch it pal. I know who sheriff Joe is, and I approve of his methods.
Sounds to me like you were a guest at his tent city. Sucg hate in a
person. I'll bet that you probably hate all cops too.

> If your church doesn't believe in Charity, but instead believes in
> persecuting non-violent people or stealing, turn the tabels over!!!

Boy, I am thinking you must be one of these militia members. The hate
you must have for those different from you is showing. You'd better hope
the US Gov't doesn't find you. They'll lock you up and throw away the
key, and the cell you are in!

> Don't ask what a bunch of Mafia Thugs called Government can do for you,
> and to others. Start a charity or it doesn't need to be done.

wah wah waaaah! Why are you crying so much. Is it that you have
something to hide?

> Considering the white-washed churches we have today, you'd probably do
> better to move closer to work, instead of being a thief.

I live where I do because it is affordabel (try living in the city with
rents as high as $700.00 per month for a 1 bedroom. I refuse to live in
the slumlord areas either (too mauch pay out and conditions not fit for
man OR beast).

You whine every time someone comes up with a way to improve something.
You come up with all these good reasons why it shouldn't change. What
are you really afraid of? I have lived in this godforsaken desert for 19
years. We had BETTER bus service back in the early 1980's than we do
now. Why aren't you willing to pay your fair share? I'll bet you want to
do away with charities too. Making things go away is no way to solve
problems, all it does is create bigger ones.

Perhaps I will be in a position of power one day, then it wil be I that
tells the government here in Arizona what to do. What will you do then?
Whine like usual????

Michael Straight

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

On 11 Sep 1997, M. Otis Beard wrote:

> Phoenix Radio Man wrote:
> > Also, flaming a person for being "too cheap to buy a car" is uncalled
> > for. I doubt very much you would feel the same after spending a year in
> > a blind man's shoes, would you? I am blind and have to depend on this
> > "joke for a bus system". And thats exactly what it is compared to
> > smaller cities with better bus systems: A JOKE!
>

> TO THE PERSON WHO READS USENET POSTS TO THIS GUY: Don't read any of
> the jokes we're about to make at his expense to him, OK? It'll be WAY
> funnier that way. THANKS.

.whatsoever sense no make would ,instance for ,this like posts--him to
reading there sitting someone have doesn't he ,obviously So (.(are they
color what equals which) are they hot how fingertips his with feels and
pegs the change to else someone hires obviously he ,blind guy's this Since
.day/dollars couple a for aliens illegal hire most but ,pegs own change US
the in hackers Some .tubes ray cathode than cheaper is labor where
world-third the in popular they're--whatever or Doom play or type they
while pegs the work else someone have monitors Brite Lite use who people
most although "you" say I--again top the at start and paper black the
change you ,screen the of bottom the to get you When .colors 256 have can
you so ,tones different 256 distinguish can operator trained-well A .(peg
Brite Lite a use you actually) 'pixel' successive each to corresponds
which ,tone a to converted and down slowed is signal video the that is
works it way the ,technology the with unfamiliar those For) .days these
monitors Brite Lite use usually people Blind .Otis ,technology with up
catch to need You

SMTIRCAHIAGEHLT

Eddie Saxe

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

In article <34176690....@netnews.worldnet.att.net>,
Hank Blake <hbl...@tyrannosaur.com> wrote:
>Visual my ass. How many of us do you think have access to a scanning
>electron microscope?

That's a pretty tiny ass you have, Hank; thanks for sharing.

Have you considered saline implants?

Eddie
--
What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Paul Alan Sturm

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

Stop doing this! I hate you!!

Michael Straight (stra...@email.unc.edu) wrote:
: .whatsoever sense no make would ,instance for ,this like posts--him to

Phoenix Radio Man

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

Wotan wrote:
> Climb onto a rooftop or other place with a good shooting view.
You do that....

I find it interesting.... In a state that pays LESS in taxes per capita
than just about any other (except nevada and texas), I find it
interesting that you complain so much. TYry living in california or New
York. They have some of the highest tax rates around. Yet their services
for EVERYONE are far superior.

Unfortunately, those states also have a considerably higher cost of
living..... Mostly due to the fact that the rich get richer and the poor
go into hiding.

Phoenix Radio Man

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

Jason and Heather wrote:
> You're right. You're not a thief. A thief steals by stealth. A robber
> steals by force. By voting for taxes which benefit you, you are using
> the force of government in order to take what you want.
>
> That is robbery.
by whoes definition? If yours in not the majority for definition, then
it doesn't count.

> You obviously feel that your need justifies this use of force. Is
> the robber who sticks a gun in your ribs innocent because he was
> only trying to feed his family? No, he's guilty as sin, and so is
> the robber who hires someone else to rob for him.
What use of force. What about all those laws that punish those who
committed crimes (often quite severely)? Is that justifiable use of
force? Before you say "but thats different", no it isn't. its all the
same. If you don't like the system, then change it through your right to
vote. Otherwise, if you didn't vote, then you have no say in the outcome
(I know, I voted in every election since I was 18).

> I sympathize with people who have difficulties in life. I've been
> helped out during hard times by others myself, and enjoy assisting
> those in need. Giving directly is a lot cheaper than giving to the
> government, which ends up giving most of what it collects by force to
> scum like Jerry Colangelo and Fife Symington instead of those who
> really need it.
I don't want your sympathy. I want a viable solution that works.
Sympathy doesn't pay the bills. Also, you site a few bad apples out of
the whole bunch. What about those who are trying to make some good of a
bad problem? By lumping it all into one statement, you effectively throw
out the baby with the bathwater.

> But I have nothing but contempt for people who use their handicaps
> and difficulties as excuses to stick a gun in my ribs.
Well, thats your feelings, but we don't have to have them forced down
our throats, do we. We have rights too pal!

> Why do you think it's so expensive to live in those cities? There
> Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. Public transit costs money.
> Oh, sure, it may only cost you $1.25 at the turnstyle, but when
> it's subsidized by taxes, you end up paying for it, in everything
> from rent to food to utilities.
Have you lived in cities where public transit is not only successful,
but makes money? I have. I know it can work, even if you don't. I have
facts, what do you have?

> jason
You have no idea how difficult life is without someone (or a group)
telling you that you cannot do this or that based on disability. And
this is exactly what you are telling me and 20000 others with
disabilities. You are also telling the nearly 100,000 plus with some
problems involved with breathing the ever-more polluted air in this city
(last year I was in the hospital because of the lack of clean air in the
valley here). Until you walk a mile in my shoes, you have no real
understanding of the discrimination, lies, attitudes and other nefarious
problems that I face on a daily basis.

My suggestion to you is this: Go vollunteer time at a local hospital or
nursing home and see how we as a society really treat our sick and
elderly. Then perhaps you might appreciate what little you get.

Bill

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

Actually, they started carrying packages because airline fares are often
cheaper than bus fare! Their passenger count dropped so low they were losing
money so they decided to carry small freight in the empty baggage
compartments.

Would you rather ride a bus for 2 days from K.C. to Phoenix or fly for 2 1/2
hours? Especially when the airfare is anywhere close to bus fare?

Wotan wrote:

> In article <5va1k1$r...@nntp02.primenet.com>,
> Brian Trosko <btr...@primenet.com> wrote while drinking:
>
> >Phoenix Radio Man <Phx_ra...@juno.com> wrote:
> >
> >: Have you lived in cities where public transit is not only successful,
> >: but makes money?
> >
> >Name one major city in this country where unsubsidized public
> >transportation turns a profit. Greyhound doesn't count.
>
> Why not? :->
>
> They started doing package deliveries becuase carrying passengers only was
> a losing proposition.
>
> --
> Vidi, vici, veni.
> (I saw, I conquered, I came.)

Neil

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

Yoda? Is that you?

Phoenix Radio Man

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

RAY JONES wrote:
> Wake up and smell the coffee -- Phx is headed downhill rapidly in livability,
> and taxes are only a small part of it. If a slight increase in taxes will
> improve the livability of the area and perhaps even help show a significant
> reduction in our other costs of living, then it is a small price to pay.
> --
At LAST!!! Someone who understands the real situation and even offers
some solutions!
Ray, do make some interesting points (most of which I had to trim for
bandwidth saving purposes). You are rght, I can see it if the tax to
improve the roads was removed and ANYONE who used said roads should pay
for them (that would get so many people in an uproar that they would
vote to keep the tax to improve the roads, etc). Then there are the
"ever present" necessities:
Traffic management (A.K.A Traffic control system),
Publis transportation,
Job service
law enforcement (without which we would be at the mercy of the person
with the most guns)
and other lesser items (too many to list).

I find myself in a qunadry, though..... I live in a place I am familiar
with and find it would probably be cheaper to live elsewhere,
however.... The oportunity cost of such a move might mean that I may not
make as much money (based on local economic conditions, unemployment,
etc.). Its the old trade... Which one do you want more?????

Ah well......

Brian Trosko

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

Phoenix Radio Man <Phx_ra...@juno.com> wrote:

: Have you lived in cities where public transit is not only successful,
: but makes money?

Name one major city in this country where unsubsidized public
transportation turns a profit. Greyhound doesn't count.

: disabilities. You are also telling the nearly 100,000 plus with some

: problems involved with breathing the ever-more polluted air in this city
: (last year I was in the hospital because of the lack of clean air in the
: valley here).

Here's a suggestion. If the air in the city is toxic to you, fucking
*move*. For decades, people with respiratory problems across the country
have been counseled to move to Arizona where the air is cleaner and drier.
They managed to change their lives on move to a state where they felt the
air would be healthy. By the same token, since the air Iin Phoenix is
obviously *unhealthy* for you and your 100,000 imaginary friends, fucking
*move*.

: Until you walk a mile in my shoes, you have no real

: understanding of the discrimination, lies, attitudes and other nefarious
: problems that I face on a daily basis.

Don't wave that sanctimonious bullshit around in az.general. Until you've
tried to pay your way through college on a minimal salary, or tried to
raise a family and put your children through school on a workingman's
wage, you've got no real understanding of what it means to take more money
out of peoplees' wallets to finance your pet project.

What hypocrital horseshit. Yeah, you've got problems. You're blind.
You're crippled. Life's tough; get a fucking net. Everyone's got
problems. Some not as bad as yours, some worse. The difference between
you and them is that most of the rest of them don't count on public money
as a cureall.

: My suggestion to you is this: Go vollunteer time at a local hospital or

: nursing home and see how we as a society really treat our sick and
: elderly. Then perhaps you might appreciate what little you get.

You're the most arrogant cripple I've ever discoursed with. How do you
know he hasn't?

My suggestion to you is this: Move somewhere where your selfish,
self-important, and downright annoying whinging won't be noticed. Maybe
you'll be able to breathe.

Joseph Michael Bay

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

wmcclatc (Wotan) writes:

>Yeah. That twenty minute ride in my comfortable truck with tunes I like
>can't hold a candle to that 70+ minute ride that involves uncomfortable
>seats, waiting in the *unairconditioned* outdoors for transfers. And lets

Yeah, but it's a DRY HEAT.

Joseph Michael Bay

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

hbl...@tyrannosaur.com (Hank Blake) writes:

>Visual my ass. How many of us do you think have access to a scanning
>electron microscope?

One needs an SEM to visual your ass?

Must hurt to sit.

Phoenix Radio Man

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

Michael Straight wrote:
> .whatsoever sense no make would ,instance for ,this like posts--him to
> reading there sitting someone have doesn't he ,obviously So (.(are they
> color what equals which) are they hot how fingertips his with feels and
> pegs the change to else someone hires obviously he ,blind guy's this Since
> .day/dollars couple a for aliens illegal hire most but ,pegs own change US
> the in hackers Some .tubes ray cathode than cheaper is labor where
> world-third the in popular they're--whatever or Doom play or type they
> while pegs the work else someone have monitors Brite Lite use who people
> most although "you" say I--again top the at start and paper black the
> change you ,screen the of bottom the to get you When .colors 256 have can
> you so ,tones different 256 distinguish can operator trained-well A .(peg
> Brite Lite a use you actually) 'pixel' successive each to corresponds
> which ,tone a to converted and down slowed is signal video the that is
> works it way the ,technology the with unfamiliar those For) .days these
> monitors Brite Lite use usually people Blind .Otis ,technology with up
> catch to need You
>
> SMTIRCAHIAGEHLT
Have you ever heard of that great and wonderful technology called a
speech synthasizer? Thats what I use. Good joke though. Perhaps you
might have a career in comedy, but, don't lose your day job.....

ha ha ha !

M. Otis Beard

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

Chris

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

What if he has a Braille newsreader? ;-) Really, though, I don't think
it's too funny to make fun of blind people! (or anybody who is forced
to ride the transit system in its present state)

Chris

M. Otis Beard

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

Hank Blake wrote:

> Tha's right, boy--I got a *reeeel* tight ass. Tha's why I don't want
> your scurvey ass stealin' mah money.

EEEEEK!!! It's Walter Miller's grandfather!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKK!

RAY JONES

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

In a previous article, stei...@primenet.com (Jason and Heather) says:

>You're right. You're not a thief. A thief steals by stealth. A robber
>steals by force. By voting for taxes which benefit you, you are using
>the force of government in order to take what you want.
>
>That is robbery.
>

>You obviously feel that your need justifies this use of force. Is
>the robber who sticks a gun in your ribs innocent because he was
>only trying to feed his family? No, he's guilty as sin, and so is
>the robber who hires someone else to rob for him.

I see your point and I agree -- those who do not plan to use a service
should not expect to have to pay for those who do use the service.
Therefore, I will expect to see your name at the top of the next
petition that suggests that highway and road maintenance be removed
from the general fund of the state of Arizona and have all road
upkeep, repair, and construction funds raised through vehicle license
fees as those who drive are the only ones who use the roadways. Those
of us with bicycles can pay similar user fees for bike lanes so that
we bikers don't have to pay the high cost of roadways.

No, some things are necessary, and in today's society, transportation is
one of them. I don't like the idea of yet another tax (once a tax is in
place, it virtually never goes away). But with the traffic tie-ups due to
overcrowding on insufficient roadways and ensuing accidents that make
the insurance rates in Phx extremely high; and with pollution that will
only be worsening as time goes along, it's time for *everyone* to pull
together to work at solutions to these problems. This "yeah, but not out
of my pocket" attitude is about as selfish as it gets. We need buses to
relieve some of the traffic burden; we need turnouts so that the buses
interfere as little as possible with traffic when they stop; we need
bike lanes and paths so that those of us willing to try alternative
transportation will let people like you benefit from the decreased traffic.

William A.B. House

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

Phoenix Radio Man <Phx_ra...@juno.com> writes:
>Jason and Heather wrote:

>> You're right. You're not a thief. A thief steals by stealth. A
>> robber steals by force. By voting for taxes which benefit you, you
>> are using the force of government in order to take what you want.
>>
>> That is robbery.

>by whoes definition? If yours in not the majority for definition, then
>it doesn't count.

So, websters dictionary should be based on mob rule?

>> You obviously feel that your need justifies this use of force. Is
>> the robber who sticks a gun in your ribs innocent because he was
>> only trying to feed his family? No, he's guilty as sin, and so is
>> the robber who hires someone else to rob for him.

>What use of force. What about all those laws that punish those who
>committed crimes (often quite severely)? Is that justifiable use of
>force? Before you say "but thats different", no it isn't. its all the
>same.

Get this:

He who Initiates the force is a criminal!

He who acts in self-defense is not!

Duh!

>If you don't like the system, then change it through your right
>to vote. Otherwise, if you didn't vote, then you have no say in the
>outcome (I know, I voted in every election since I was 18).

That's exactly what I do - I vote Libertarian because we already acted
in self-defense against tyranny to get that vote.

I vote to stop government stealing and oppression!

A Vote for the Libertarian Party is a Vote to Defend myself politically
against thieving Politicians!

And, on a jury, I vote to aquit non-violent people, and those who act
in self defense if even against the Government you voted for.

Just because people vote to steal and oppress doesn't make it right,
just like it didn't make it right in Hitler's Germany.

Yea, that's right, people voted for the Nationalist Socialist Workers'
Party, the NAZIS, in Germany - and they reaped what they sowed!

You can not continue to vote for theivery and oppression without
eventually reaping it yourself and for your country!

That is a Fact,
Jack Boot - a natural Fact!

People do not exist simply to be the slaves of mob rule!

Pride commeth before a fall, and American Socialists are getting pretty
damned Haughty and Oppressive - just like Sodom!! Ezekiel 16:49

M. Otis Beard

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

Michael Straight wrote:

> On 11 Sep 1997, M. Otis Beard wrote:
>
> > Phoenix Radio Man wrote:
> > > Also, flaming a person for being "too cheap to buy a car" is uncalled
> > > for. I doubt very much you would feel the same after spending a year in
> > > a blind man's shoes, would you? I am blind and have to depend on this
> > > "joke for a bus system". And thats exactly what it is compared to
> > > smaller cities with better bus systems: A JOKE!
> >
> > TO THE PERSON WHO READS USENET POSTS TO THIS GUY: Don't read any of
> > the jokes we're about to make at his expense to him, OK? It'll be WAY
> > funnier that way. THANKS.
>
> .whatsoever sense no make would ,instance for ,this like posts--him to
> reading there sitting someone have doesn't he ,obviously So (.(are they
> color what equals which) are they hot how fingertips his with feels and
> pegs the change to else someone hires obviously he ,blind guy's this Since
> .day/dollars couple a for aliens illegal hire most but ,pegs own change US
> the in hackers Some .tubes ray cathode than cheaper is labor where
> world-third the in popular they're--whatever or Doom play or type they
> while pegs the work else someone have monitors Brite Lite use who people
> most although "you" say I--again top the at start and paper black the
> change you ,screen the of bottom the to get you When .colors 256 have can
> you so ,tones different 256 distinguish can operator trained-well A .(peg
> Brite Lite a use you actually) 'pixel' successive each to corresponds
> which ,tone a to converted and down slowed is signal video the that is
> works it way the ,technology the with unfamiliar those For) .days these
> monitors Brite Lite use usually people Blind .Otis ,technology with up
> catch to need You

?there is now ,it read to gets never he if expense his at taste bad
horribly in joke a making sense No .too ,joke the get to friend blind
little our wanted I but -- Michael ,right you're course Of

Bill

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

Oh my gosh!! A Phoenician with some common sense instead of the greedy "not out
of my pocket you damn thief" stuff so common on here.

RAY JONES wrote:

> In a previous article, stei...@primenet.com (Jason and Heather) says:
>

> >You're right. You're not a thief. A thief steals by stealth. A robber
> >steals by force. By voting for taxes which benefit you, you are using
> >the force of government in order to take what you want.
> >
> >That is robbery.
> >

> >You obviously feel that your need justifies this use of force. Is
> >the robber who sticks a gun in your ribs innocent because he was
> >only trying to feed his family? No, he's guilty as sin, and so is
> >the robber who hires someone else to rob for him.

Jason and Heather

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

Phoenix Radio Man <Phx_ra...@juno.com> wrote:
> Jason and Heather wrote:
> >
> > You obviously feel that your need justifies this use of force. Is
> > the robber who sticks a gun in your ribs innocent because he was
> > only trying to feed his family? No, he's guilty as sin, and so is
> > the robber who hires someone else to rob for him.
>
> What use of force. What about all those laws that punish those who
> committed crimes (often quite severely)? Is that justifiable use of
> force?

Absolutely, because it is in response to their initiation of force.

> Before you say "but thats different", no it isn't. its all the
> same.

You don't see any difference between kidnapping someone, and putting
someone in jail?

> > But I have nothing but contempt for people who use their handicaps
> > and difficulties as excuses to stick a gun in my ribs.
>
> Well, thats your feelings, but we don't have to have them forced
> down our throats, do we. We have rights too pal!

You do not have the right to rob others.

> You have no idea how difficult life is without someone (or a group)
> telling you that you cannot do this or that based on disability.

You may not steal. It has nothing to do with your disability, and
everything to do with the fact that robbery is wrong. Your disability
does not give you a right to claim the property of others for your
own personal benefit.

jason

--
"The man who marries a modern woman marries a woman who expects to vote
like a man, smoke like a man, have her hair cut like a man, and go without

William A.B. House

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

Phoenix Radio Man <Phx_ra...@juno.com> writes:
>William A.B. House wrote:

>> Yes, you are blind.
>> You are a blind thief.

>Accusations of this sort only reveal what a lout you really are.

You are the one proposing stealing people's money via Government!

>Blind thief, huh? I run a small business here. I pay taxes like you
>do.
>And you call me a thief?!?! Brother, you have another thing comming.

You contribute willingly, and you willingly vote to steal from others
who DO NOT want your economic fascism!

>Besides, I barely make enough for myself, let alone trying to cover
>transport costs (ever ride a cab in this town, it ain't cheap).

Government licensing for taxies, and taxes on your business are WHERE
YOUR MONEY IS BEING WASTED!

and you want more of the same - that's insane!

>> Isn't there a church in the area who cares enough to heal you?
>> Give you rides?

>Heal me? You are kidding, right? How does one regrow eyes that aren't
>there?

I meant Heal your walking problem by giving you a ride.

>Also, most churhes (especially in this area) don't have people
>using them except on wednesday and sunday nights. Whats your problem
>here Billy?

What's their problem?

Dont' they believe in Charity?

Or are they as empty the rest of the week as their sermons are on
wednesday and sunday?

>You afraid I might be right? Are you so afraid of a blind
>person that you attack him in the newsgroups, publically?!?! You have
>a problem.

You are suggesting the government steal, it has nothing to do with you
being blind and I'm not going to be nice to a thief blind or not.

>> Or, are they too busy out there with Sherrif Joe preaching to the
>>one's they voted to persecute and funding his campaign with donated
>>money?

>Watch it pal. I know who sheriff Joe is, and I approve of his methods.

He wastes you tax dollars on drug wars - you want more tax dollars for
roads or busses you could stop wasting tax dollars on religious
inquisitions!

>Sounds to me like you were a guest at his tent city. Sucg hate in a
>person. I'll bet that you probably hate all cops too.

Oh yea, I'm the one who hates!

I hate thieves - I hate oppression!

>> If your church doesn't believe in Charity, but instead believes in
>> persecuting non-violent people or stealing, turn the tabels over!!!

>Boy, I am thinking you must be one of these militia members.

Yes, I am a Milita Member - so is every person in America over 18!

Thank GOD for the Militia!

The reason we have the second ammendment is because of the threat of
voters' like you ultimately suceeding!

>The hate you must have for those different from you is showing.

I hate thieves, don't you?

I hate oppression of non-violent people, don't you?

>You'd better hope the US Gov't doesn't find you. They'll lock you up
>and throw away the key, and the cell you are in!

Have they thrown away free speech yet?

>> Don't ask what a bunch of Mafia Thugs called Government can do for
>> you, and to others. Start a charity or it doesn't need to be done.

>wah wah waaaah! Why are you crying so much. Is it that you have
>something to hide?

See how you cry when you get mugged.

>> Considering the white-washed churches we have today, you'd probably
>> do better to move closer to work, instead of being a thief.

>I live where I do because it is affordabel (try living in the city
>with rents as high as $700.00 per month for a 1 bedroom. I refuse to
>live in the slumlord areas either (too mauch pay out and conditions
>not fit for man OR beast).
>
>You whine every time someone comes up with a way to improve something.

You call stealing and oppression improvement?

Then you hate the slums it creates?

>You come up with all these good reasons why it shouldn't change. What
>are you really afraid of? I have lived in this godforsaken desert for
>19 years. We had BETTER bus service back in the early 1980's than we
>do now. Why aren't you willing to pay your fair share?

What would you say to an extortioner?

>I'll bet you want to do away with charities too.

Now, you are a mind-reading theif?

I am suggesting charities rather than theft!

You steal my money so I have less to give to charity!

>Making things go away is no way to solve problems, all it does is
>create bigger ones.
>
>Perhaps I will be in a position of power one day, then it wil be I
>that tells the government here in Arizona what to do. What will you do
>then?

People like you are in Government, fucking thieves.

I vote Libertarian.

To Hell with Thievery and Culture Wars!

>Whine like usual????

I'd rather spend all day calling you a thief, than being one!

Ted Krueger

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

In article <34178C...@juno.com>,

Phoenix Radio Man <Phx_ra...@juno.com> wrote:
>People!
>I hate to say it, but the 266 voters that made the difference in failing
>to pass the initiative were swayed by a group that propounds no new
>taxes of any kind.

That sounds like a pretty good motivation to me.

>I have to depend on this system every day and it currently does not meet
>my needs. I live off of a minor side street (nearest bus route is over a
>mile away on the weekdays). Ever try walking that far when its 122????

Yep. I did it for four years in Tucson. I walked that mile and a half
on the very day that it was 116 in Tucson at 4:00 pm. What did I do as
a result? I moved. I moved to a place closer to a bus stop so that I
didn't have to walk a mile and a half.

It seems that your response is to ask people to pay increased taxes.

>It appears to me that we should make bus riding more appealing, so lets
>make driving more expensive (how about 10 cents per gallon at the pump
>for all personal vehicles). 1 .1 cent sales tax isn't that much, but 10
>cents per gallon would drive the point home in a hurry.

I have a better plan. Why don't you just pay the entire cost of your
transportation yourself? I'm tired of paying for your busses. At a
rate of $45 per rider trip (according to the recent bus budget of
Tempe) is way too expensive for me. I could probably buy a big screen
TV if I didn't have to pay for your bus.

> Besides, that is

>where we are headed now. I will be writing the Az State Legislature with
>this proposal and I will continue to bug them until one or the other
>happens (either we get an improvement in the transit system, or everyone
>starts paying where it hurts most, at the gas pump).

Freedom is a wonderful thing, ain't it?

Ted

--
"My mother used to say to me `Elwood, you must be...' she always called me
Elwood `...you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant.' Well, for years I

Joseph Michael Bay

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

hbl...@tyrannosaur.com (Hank Blake) writes:

>Tha's right, boy--I got a *reeeel* tight ass. Tha's why I don't want
>your scurvey ass stealin' mah money.

I wonder how the above sentence sounds on a speech synthesizer.

I also wonder how the following words and phrases sound:

Cthulhu.
Froot Loops.
Fruit Luips.
Xtopalopacetl.
Tqtqlly cqql, dqqd!
ICUP.
Ron rots?

Thank you.

Joseph Michael Bay

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

hbl...@tyrannosaur.com (Hank Blake) writes:

>For want of a comma. Sigh.

For Watson, a coma. Sly.

Jason and Heather

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

RAY JONES <nat...@aztec.asu.edu> wrote:
> In a previous article, stei...@primenet.com (Jason and Heather)
> says:
> >
> > You're right. You're not a thief. A thief steals by stealth. A
> > robber steals by force. By voting for taxes which benefit you,
> > you are using the force of government in order to take what you
> > want.
> >
> > That is robbery.

> > You obviously feel that your need justifies this use of force. Is
> > the robber who sticks a gun in your ribs innocent because he was
> > only trying to feed his family? No, he's guilty as sin, and so is
> > the robber who hires someone else to rob for him.
>
> I see your point and I agree -- those who do not plan to use a
> service should not expect to have to pay for those who do use the
> service. Therefore, I will expect to see your name at the top of
> the next petition that suggests that highway and road maintenance
> be removed from the general fund of the state of Arizona and have
> all road upkeep, repair, and construction funds raised through
> vehicle license fees as those who drive are the only ones who use
> the roadways.

I think that's a great idea! Where do I sign?

> No, some things are necessary, and in today's society,
> transportation is one of them.

Sure. But that doesn't mean those who use transportation shouldn't
pay for it.

> I don't like the idea of yet another tax (once a tax is in place,
> it virtually never goes away). But with the traffic tie-ups due to
> overcrowding on insufficient roadways and ensuing accidents that
> make the insurance rates in Phx extremely high; and with pollution
> that will only be worsening as time goes along, it's time for
> *everyone* to pull together to work at solutions to these problems.

The solution is as simple as having people pay the true cost of the
services they receive. If something - such as roads - becomes too
expensive, people will find cheaper alternatives. One of those
alternatives might even involve moving to another area.

> This "yeah, but not out of my pocket" attitude is about as selfish
> as it gets.

I don't mind paying for what I get. I don't even mind paying for what
someone else gets on occasion. What I do mind is being forced to let
other people pick my pocket.

> Wake up and smell the coffee -- Phx is headed downhill rapidly in
> livability, and taxes are only a small part of it. If a slight
> increase in taxes will improve the livability of the area and
> perhaps even help show a significant reduction in our other costs
> of living, then it is a small price to pay.

But it won't. This tax was proposed by sleazy developers so they could
put money in their own pockets. I'm constantly amazed by the number
of liberals who complain about big, corrupt business, then vote for
the very measures that keep big, corrupt businesses in business!

Joseph Michael Bay

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

krue...@agcs.com (Ted Krueger) writes:

>Yep. I did it for four years in Tucson. I walked that mile and a half
>on the very day that it was 116 in Tucson at 4:00 pm.

Yeah, but it's a DRY HEAT.

Arthur L. Rubin

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

> We had BETTER bus service back in the early 1980's than we do
> now.

I cannot confirm that, but I'm sure less money was spent on bus service
back then. If
it was better, why can't that system be reintroduced?

--
Arthur L. Rubin, 216-...@mcimail.com
http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~arubin

Arthur L. Rubin

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

Phoenix Radio Man wrote:

> Have you lived in cities where public transit is not only successful,

> but makes money? I have. I know it can work, even if you don't. I have
> facts, what do you have?

Name One.

--
Arthur L. Rubin 216-...@mcimail.com
http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~arubin

Chris

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

_ blind fellow said:
> : Until you walk a mile in my shoes, you have no real
> : understanding of the discrimination, lies, attitudes and other nefarious
> : problems that I face on a daily basis.

> Don't wave that sanctimonious bullshit around in az.general. Until you've
> tried to pay your way through college on a minimal salary, or tried to
> raise a family and put your children through school on a workingman's
> wage, you've got no real understanding of what it means to take more money
> out of peoplees' wallets to finance your pet project.

WHO put your children through school? YOU? Or how about millions of
homeowners who were stolen from through the form of property tax to
subsidize your children's education? Why do I have to finance YOUR pet
project?

Actually, I don't MIND paying $1,400 per year in property taxes alone to
help subsidize other people's children, even though I won't, and never
will, have any children. Why not? Because it (hopefully) goes to an
eventually prosperous end. And I feel that a pitiful half a cent on a
dollar towards something else that leads to a prosperous end is a mere
pittance. Especially since I'm already paying that much for a f***ing
ballpark that I'll never go to! Half a cent is nothing compared to what
everybody has to pay for other people's kids to get an education! So
try walking in someone else's shoes before you go crying about being
taxed to death on a working man's salary. I am not allowed to work, I
am not allowed to vote, but I am still required to pay taxes in this
country. AND I DON'T MIND A BIT! I've seen worse.

> What hypocrital horseshit. Yeah, you've got problems. You're blind.
> You're crippled. Life's tough; get a fucking net. Everyone's got
> problems. Some not as bad as yours, some worse. The difference between
> you and them is that most of the rest of them don't count on public money as a cureall.

You went to college, you put your kids through school, you drive on the
road, therefore you depend on public money yourself.

> : My suggestion to you is this: Go vollunteer time at a local hospital or
> : nursing home and see how we as a society really treat our sick and
> : elderly. Then perhaps you might appreciate what little you get.
>
> You're the most arrogant cripple I've ever discoursed with. How do you
> know he hasn't?
>
> My suggestion to you is this: Move somewhere where your selfish,
> self-important, and downright annoying whinging won't be noticed. Maybe you'll be able to breathe.

At least he's trying to DO something about it!

Chris

Chris

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

Wotan wrote:

> Vidi, vici, veni.
> (I saw, I conquered, I came.)

Wasn't that I came, I saw, I......
Ohhhhhhhh, yer sick!

:-)

Ted Krueger

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

In article <5v7k75$g...@saga19.Stanford.EDU>,
Joseph Michael Bay <jm...@leland.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
>kei...@bctv.com (Keith Wood) writes:

>>Buy a bike. Get a job and buy a car.

>Use lots of gas. It's not HOT ENOUGH in Phoenix yet. Sure, it's over
>a hundred sometimes, but it's a DRY HEAT.

Then buy a car with an air conditioner.

It's not rocket science.

Phoenix Radio Man

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

Wotan wrote:
> But note the ones claiming we won't miss it in this case ar also the ones
> who won't be asked to pay it.
Oh really. SALES TAX: everyone pays that! I pay it, you pay it, tom,
dick and hariet pay it. Better get your facts straight before making
assertions as to who will not pay and who will.

Patricia Seith

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

Jason and Heather wrote:

> Phoenix Radio Man <Phx_ra...@juno.com> wrote:
> > William A.B. House wrote:
> > > Yes, you are blind.
> > > You are a blind thief.
> >
> > Accusations of this sort only reveal what a lout you really are.
> > Blind thief, huh? I run a small business here. I pay taxes like you
> > do. And you call me a thief?!?! Brother, you have another thing
> > comming. Besides, I barely make enough for myself, let alone trying

> > to cover transport costs (ever ride a cab in this town, it ain't
> > cheap).
>
> You're right. You're not a thief. A thief steals by stealth. A robber
> steals by force. By voting for taxes which benefit you, you are using
> the force of government in order to take what you want.
>
> That is robbery.
>
> You obviously feel that your need justifies this use of force. Is
> the robber who sticks a gun in your ribs innocent because he was
> only trying to feed his family? No, he's guilty as sin, and so is
> the robber who hires someone else to rob for him.
>
> I sympathize with people who have difficulties in life. I've been
> helped out during hard times by others myself, and enjoy assisting
> those in need. Giving directly is a lot cheaper than giving to the
> government, which ends up giving most of what it collects by force to
> scum like Jerry Colangelo and Fife Symington instead of those who
> really need it.

> But I have nothing but contempt for people who use their handicaps
> and difficulties as excuses to stick a gun in my ribs.
>
> > > Considering the white-washed churches we have today, you'd
> > > probably do better to move closer to work, instead of being a
> > > thief.
> >
> > I live where I do because it is affordabel (try living in the city
> > with rents as high as $700.00 per month for a 1 bedroom. I refuse
> > to live in the slumlord areas either (too mauch pay out and
> > conditions not fit for man OR beast).
>
> Why do you think it's so expensive to live in those cities? There
> Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. Public transit costs money.
> Oh, sure, it may only cost you $1.25 at the turnstyle, but when
> it's subsidized by taxes, you end up paying for it, in everything
> from rent to food to utilities.

> > Perhaps I will be in a position of power one day, then it wil be I
> > that tells the government here in Arizona what to do. What will you
> > do then? Whine like usual????
>
> A threat of force. Typical.

> jason
>
> --
> "The man who marries a modern woman marries a woman who expects to vote
> like a man, smoke like a man, have her hair cut like a man, and go without
> restrictions and without chaperones and obey nobody."
> BOBBED HAIR - John R. Rice, 1941 http://www.primenet.com/~steiners/
I just have to say something. I live in New York State, and will be
moving to Tempe in 3 weeks. You people don't know Jack about expensive.
I own a modest one-bedroom condo, for which I paid $75K. It's in an
average part of town. Not a slum, not the Ritz. I just rented it out
for $950/mo plus utilities, which is the going rate. NYC is worse. You
could expect to pay up to $2000/month for a place half the size there.
Also, the taxes on said condo are nearly $3000 a year. This is what
happens when people say "It's only a little. You won't even notice it!"
As for the proposed $.10/gal gas tax, I only thank God for Oil company
lobbyists who would easily prevent such a thing. How short sighted
can one person be? No pun intended. Our gov't is too large and
wasteful as it is. We don't EVER have a need for higher taxes. We just
need a businessman with no vested interest to run the country. Kinda
makes Ross Perot look pretty good right about now....

M. Otis Beard

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

Chris wrote:

> M. Otis Beard wrote:
> >
> > Phoenix Radio Man wrote:
> > >
> > > Also, flaming a person for being "too cheap to buy a car" is uncalled
> > > for. I doubt very much you would feel the same after spending a year in
> > > a blind man's shoes, would you? I am blind and have to depend on this
> > > "joke for a bus system". And thats exactly what it is compared to
> > > smaller cities with better bus systems: A JOKE!
> >
> > TO THE PERSON WHO READS USENET POSTS TO THIS GUY: Don't read any of
> > the jokes we're about to make at his expense to him, OK? It'll be WAY
> > funnier that way. THANKS.
>
> What if he has a Braille newsreader? ;-) Really, though, I don't think
> it's too funny to make fun of blind people! (or anybody who is forced
> to ride the transit system in its present state)

Yeah, well. . . if *I* were blind, the LAST thing I'd want would be to
be surrounded by smarmy condescending people pussyfooting around,
pretending not to notice my blindness and trying desperately not to
accidentally make fun of me for it. I'd want to be treated pretty much
like everybody else (insofar as that would be possible, anyway). That
includes being made fun of now and again, be it for blindness,
hebephrenia, insertion of Taiwan or chronic virginity. If Phoenix Radio
Man has a sense of humor that allows him to laugh at himself and his
shortcomings, then he's one of us and deserves to be treated as such.
If he *lacks* a sense of humor, then he can go fuck himself until he's
deaf as well. I certainly don't hear you complaining about people
making fun of Nick Bensema for being unable to get laid, and for a guy
his age, that's gotta be at least as sensitive a sore point as blindness
is for PRM.

Patricia Seith

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

Phoenix Radio Man wrote:

> Wotan wrote:
> > Climb onto a rooftop or other place with a good shooting view.
> You do that....
>
> I find it interesting.... In a state that pays LESS in taxes per capita
> than just about any other (except nevada and texas), I find it
> interesting that you complain so much. TYry living in california or New
> York. They have some of the highest tax rates around. Yet their services
> for EVERYONE are far superior.
> I can't speak for Cali, but everything in NY is in horrible disrepair. It's a total shithole and I can't wait to get to the Valley. OCT 7TH!

> Unfortunately, those states also have a considerably higher cost of
> living..... Mostly due to the fact that the rich get richer and the poor
> go into hiding.

Watson Aname

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997 13:54:06 -0400, Michael Straight wrote:

>.whatsoever sense no make would ,instance for ,this like posts--him to
>reading there sitting someone have doesn't he ,obviously So (.(are they
>color what equals which) are they hot how fingertips his with feels and
>pegs the change to else someone hires obviously he ,blind guy's this Since
>.day/dollars couple a for aliens illegal hire most but ,pegs own change US
>the in hackers Some .tubes ray cathode than cheaper is labor where
>world-third the in popular they're--whatever or Doom play or type they
>while pegs the work else someone have monitors Brite Lite use who people
>most although "you" say I--again top the at start and paper black the
>change you ,screen the of bottom the to get you When .colors 256 have can
>you so ,tones different 256 distinguish can operator trained-well A .(peg
>Brite Lite a use you actually) 'pixel' successive each to corresponds
>which ,tone a to converted and down slowed is signal video the that is
>works it way the ,technology the with unfamiliar those For) .days these
>monitors Brite Lite use usually people Blind .Otis ,technology with up
>catch to need You
>SMTIRCAHIAGEHLT

!*KNOLP*

Watson Aname

Phoenix Radio Man

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

Hank Blake wrote:
> Oh, yeah! The farce of governmental intervention is revealed! All that
> money they take in...it's like poking sand down a rathole.
> If you really want to know Why Government Doesn't Work, read Harry
> Browne's book by the same name. It's a *real* eye-opener.
Hank,
the only reason that government doesn't really work anymore is because
so few people really care. If EVERYONE who is ellegable to vote went out
and voted, perhaps this place WOULD be a little better and the
government would listen to the people.

Unfortunately, as demonstrated by the turnout in my polling precicnt,
people have ceased to care what happens to them. therefore, they are
often the loudest to complian when things come up that they DIDN'T vote
on.

There will come a time when so few vote that the government will throw
out those rules and declare itself to be a dictatership. by the time
that happens, it will be too late for the rest of us.

Also, one last point: Those who think for themselves will represent the
greatest danger to our so-called government (reason? they have brains).
That time has already started.... Good luck because its about to get
real interesting.

Phoenix Radio Man

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

Patricia Seith wrote:
> I just have to say something. I live in New York State, and will be
> moving to Tempe in 3 weeks. You people don't know Jack about expensive.
> I own a modest one-bedroom condo, for which I paid $75K. It's in an
> average part of town. Not a slum, not the Ritz. I just rented it out
> for $950/mo plus utilities, which is the going rate. NYC is worse. You
> could expect to pay up to $2000/month for a place half the size there.
> Also, the taxes on said condo are nearly $3000 a year. This is what
> happens when people say "It's only a little. You won't even notice it!"
> As for the proposed $.10/gal gas tax, I only thank God for Oil company
> lobbyists who would easily prevent such a thing. How short sighted
> can one person be? No pun intended. Our gov't is too large and
> wasteful as it is. We don't EVER have a need for higher taxes. We just
> need a businessman with no vested interest to run the country. Kinda
> makes Ross Perot look pretty good right about now....
Patricia,
A lot of these folks out here really don't know how good they got it.
However, I am part of the ever growing part of the population being left
behind because services just aren't there. I KNOW what its like in NYC
(used to live there) and I KNOW what D.C. and Chicago are about as
well. I think you'll like it out here though (considerably cheaper rent
wise)

In case you didn't see the news recently, we had a businessman in charge
of the state here, and he was convicted on several counts of fraud and
mismanagement of funds. Sure, Ross Perot might look good on paper, but
what is he really like?

M. Otis Beard

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

Neil wrote:

> On 13 Sep 1997 08:14:03 GMT, "M. Otis Beard"

> <movin...@geocities.com> wrote:
> > Yeah, well. . . if *I* were blind, the LAST thing I'd want would be to
> >be surrounded by smarmy condescending people pussyfooting around,
> >pretending not to notice my blindness and trying desperately not to
> >accidentally make fun of me for it. I'd want to be treated pretty much
> >like everybody else (insofar as that would be possible, anyway). That
> >includes being made fun of now and again, be it for blindness,
> >hebephrenia, insertion of Taiwan or chronic virginity. If Phoenix Radio
> >Man has a sense of humor that allows him to laugh at himself and his
> >shortcomings, then he's one of us and deserves to be treated as such.
> >If he *lacks* a sense of humor, then he can go fuck himself until he's
> >deaf as well.
>
> What a sad display.

I agree. This M. Otis Beard guy should be tied up and tickled until
he wets himself. How *DARE* he fail to heap pity on the heads of blind
people. If more people went around treating the blind like the
pathetic, useless objects of pity that they are, maybe they wouldn't
have to work so hard at making lives for themselves in spite of their
sightlessness. They could just sit around all day, whining and feeling
sorry for themselves, while other people take care of them in an
appropriately patronizing manner.

> First, you all take it upon yourself to make "fun" of someone's
> physical disability, and not even to his face, but on Usenet, like a
> bunch of spineless cowards.

Yeah, M. Otis Beard should really be ashamed of himself for that.
You're absolutely right -- he should have asked that poor pathetic blind
guy for his address so he could drive aaaaall the way from Los Angeles
to Phoenix, go to the blind guy's house, and make fun of him there
instead. And if he had a SPINE, that's exactly what he'd do.

> Then you pompously declare that he should
> either laugh along with you or "go fuck himself", as though you
> yourself somehow know and understand what kind of crap he has to put
> up with on a regular basis.

Too true. How pompous it is to insist that someone should have a
sense of humor and be able to laugh at himself! That Otis Beard guy is
really a rat for not liking uptight assholes with no sense of humor, and
I'll bet he's some kind of nazi as well. He's probably totally perfect
in every way, so he could NEVER, EVER understand what it's like to have
any kind of disadvantage or shortcoming. Anybody with any sense knows
that people who are disabled in any way should not be held up to the
same social/moral/intellectual standards as the rest of us. They should
be babied and sheltered and insulated from all possibility of being
offended, and they should NOT under ANY circumstances be expected to
have anything even remotely resembling a sense of humor, 'cause that
would just encourage them to think that they're capable of living
useful, productive, fulfilling lives on a level playing field with
everybody else.

> What truly disgusts me is that the teasing
> and stupid remarks probably didn't end with junior high or high school
> for him.

You tell 'em, brother! I bet that poor blind guy is sitting in his
specially designed orthopedic wheelchair RIGHT NOW, crying his eyes out
(OK, that didn't come out right, but you know what I mean).

> Thanks to immature, overgrown, losers in life (I'm
> predicting) like "Otis Beard", he has to deal with it in the "adult"
> world as well (using that term very liberally, of course).

More power to you! It's liberals like you that are making this world
a better place to live for all of us. Why, I'll bet that some of your
BEST FRIENDS are blind. I bet you even have some friends that are
BLACK!
God knows where we'd be if we didn't have good upstanding folks like
you around to protect others less fortunate than you from being treated
like real people.

-Timmy (age 9)

Phoenix Radio Man

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

M. Otis Beard wrote:
> Hey, let's face the facts: there are lots of things you can't do, like
> SEE, for instance. You can't drive a car, for another. But then again,
> lots of people with functioning eyes can't drive, and even more of them
> can't understand the things that they see anyway. LOTS and LOTS of
> sighted people are completely incapable of using a computer, so you're
> not at nearly as much of a disadvantage as some people think.
Well, its usually those that can do things that I cannot without help
that get places I'll never go (without help). I have a small
neighborhood here that thinks because I can use a computer, that I am
not blind at all. Interesting considering that they have seen the rpoof
that I am blind, and seen the computer (It talks and prints braille).
Still, they think otherwise even when faced with the facts. I have to
constantly battle this ignorance every day.

> As for not being able to understand because I am not blind like you,
> that's a pretty bullshit statement, and it smacks of self-pity. I'd
What smacks of something may not necessarily be something. There is a
difference, even if you fail to see it. I ask not for pity of any kind
(that statge left me about 7 years ago). However, the best way to
understand someone is to live their life. there are no exceptions to
that rule. Unfortunately, since very few have an understanding, they
fail to realize what we CAN do. They always focus on what we can't (like
you did with the "driving" comment). I stand by this opinion, based in
the most part on facts. Ask someone what its like to be blind and most
people answer firstly: "I can't even imagine what that must be like".
Then they start to feel sorry for you. I believe what I do based on
ACTUAL experience over the last 9 years. I used to drive, I rode bikes
and flew an airplane as a hobby. I miss all that, but I can still type
and still use a computer.

> have to be pretty fucking stoopid to be incapable of understanding
> something as simple as sightlessness, and I'm insulted that you would
> think otherwise. It's a lot harder for me to understand and empathize
> with the intellectual blindness of someone like Schwann than it is for
> me to put myself in YOUR shoes.
I am sorry you feel that way, but until you live it 24/7 like I do, you
really have only the barest concept of what it must be like.
Intellectual blindness has its own problems (of which I suffered from
when I was somewhat younger and thought I knew everything). You
understand more about that than you think. We all do, having been a teen
once. Unfortunately, some people don't grow out of it (A byproduct of
their learning environment, I suppose). In the meantime, I fight and
scratch everyday for what I think is right. It may not be right to you,
but I have a belief and a sense of ethics that I cannot violate. It
would be so simple to ignore such problems, but as I have leanred,
ignorance only gets a person hurt.

> For what it's worth, I thought you made an excellent point regarding
> public trasportation in Phoenix and in general, but I wasn't dealing
> with your politically charged issue at all. I was making an aside and
> dealing only with your sightlessness and Chris' statement to the effect
> that it was wrong of me to make fun of you. Like I said before, either
> you have a sense of humor and we can be friends, or you don't have a
> sense of humor and you can blow me.
Thank you. I do appreciate that, even if I don't make much mention of
it. Yes, My mistake in failing to realize the import of your second
sentence here. As I posted previously, I did get a chuckle out of it,
unfortunately, I ignored it when responding (a defect in perception and
action, I think). No harm done, though in some circles, it can get a
fist in the mouth (like has happened to me a few times)....

Pardon my militant nature. Some people only understand force.

Phoenix Radio Man

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

Wotan wrote:
> Excuse me, but aren't you the blind guy advocating a 10 cent a gallon tax
> on gasoline? Unless I have missed something, you have no need to buy this
> stuff.
I was using it as a possible alternative. If you don't want to pay for
road improvements as part of the greater whole, than you can pay as an
individual user when you fill up the tank of your road using device. If
you want to breath clean air, then either cut down on all that driving,
or pay a pollution tax that would be used to clean the air by funding a
better, cleaner transit system. The $.10 per gallon tax at the pump is
an alternative that most people will find very distasteful, however, it
will get them to think of other, more pleasing alternatives.

I am not selfish, but when someone pollutes that air, it infringes upon
my right to life (by robbing me of that life giving Oxygen I need). So,
I figure that the polluters of this world should pay a little for their
misdeeds

One way or the other, life is never free, but we can make it a little
more fair.

Bill

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

Are you really this stoopid?

He may well own a car and his wife might drive him. Or his brother, or sister,
or neighbor.
Almost everything he buys was transported by vehicle at some point. So the taxes
on the gas get passed to him in the purchase price.

Everyone pays taxes on fuels. You may not pay taxes on jet fuel because you
probably don't own a jet aircraft. But you pay taxes on jet fuel that is used to
transport an overnight package to you or from you.. It's in the price of
delivery.

Everyone pays taxes for roads whether they drive on 'em or not. Same sad story,
all costs are passed to purchaser. Just because someone doesn't drive doesn't
mean they don't pay costs associated with driving.

Wotan wrote:

> In article <341A3D...@juno.com>,
> Phoenix Radio Man <Phx_ra...@juno.com> wrote while drinking:

> Excuse me, but aren't you the blind guy advocating a 10 cent a gallon tax
> on gasoline? Unless I have missed something, you have no need to buy this
> stuff.
>

> --
> Her kisses left something to be desired -- the rest of her.

Neil

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997 14:30:41 -0700, Phoenix Radio Man
<Phx_ra...@juno.com> wrote:
>Neil, you protest a bit much..... Careful about that foot & mouth
>problem...

I have great feet, and brush my teeth twice a day.

>Also, I understood the joke he was making and simply ignored it in my
>response. If you cannot understand that, then you must be a good example
>of a sad case. You appear to be defending my position, but I must warn
>you, sometimes you will get caught in the cross fire here.

I'm not defending your or anyone else's position. I assaulted someone
else's (and *ploinked* them immediately thereafter, if they're
wondering).

Neil
Arizona State University
http://www.public.asu.edu/~neils

Phoenix Radio Man

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

M. Otis Beard wrote:

> Chris wrote:
> > What if he has a Braille newsreader? ;-) Really, though, I don't think
> > it's too funny to make fun of blind people! (or anybody who is forced
> > to ride the transit system in its present state)
>
> Yeah, well. . . if *I* were blind, the LAST thing I'd want would be to
> be surrounded by smarmy condescending people pussyfooting around,
Well, the problem is, you are not and therefore cannot understand. I am
sorry to be so militant about this, but I have been told for a long time
what I CAN'T do, not what I can. So I go out of my way to prove the
naysayers wrong as often as possible.

> pretending not to notice my blindness and trying desperately not to
> accidentally make fun of me for it. I'd want to be treated pretty much
> like everybody else (insofar as that would be possible, anyway). That
> includes being made fun of now and again, be it for blindness,
> hebephrenia, insertion of Taiwan or chronic virginity. If Phoenix Radio
> Man has a sense of humor that allows him to laugh at himself and his
> shortcomings, then he's one of us and deserves to be treated as such.
> If he *lacks* a sense of humor, then he can go fuck himself until he's

> deaf as well. I certainly don't hear you complaining about people
> making fun of Nick Bensema for being unable to get laid, and for a guy
> his age, that's gotta be at least as sensitive a sore point as blindness
> is for PRM.

I do laugh at myself, when the time is appropriate. Right now, I don't
think the time is appropriate. We are dealing with a politically charged
issue here. I did get the joke and chuckled about it, though. The
problem still stands, however. I did some looking into this yesterday
and I found out a big surprise: only 4% of all the ellegable voters in
theis city even voted! In my precinct alone, which has 2000 voters in
it, only 100 voted, for the whole day!!!!! Whats wrong here? Doesn't
anyone care what their government does? No wonder we are in the mess we
are in.

All of those who complain that they don't trust the government to do the
right thing, they probably didn't vote! There is a direct correlation
here: less voters means more government red tape, because the
legislators think they can get away with more. There is going to come a
time when we can no longer vote, and those in power will decide for us.
Its time to stop being sheep!

M. Otis Beard

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

Phoenix Radio Man wrote:

> M. Otis Beard wrote:
>
> > Yeah, well. . . if *I* were blind, the LAST thing I'd want would be to
> > be surrounded by smarmy condescending people pussyfooting around,

> Well, the problem is, you are not and therefore cannot understand. I am
> sorry to be so militant about this, but I have been told for a long time
> what I CAN'T do, not what I can. So I go out of my way to prove the
> naysayers wrong as often as possible.

Hey, let's face the facts: there are lots of things you can't do, like

SEE, for instance. You can't drive a car, for another. But then again,
lots of people with functioning eyes can't drive, and even more of them
can't understand the things that they see anyway. LOTS and LOTS of
sighted people are completely incapable of using a computer, so you're
not at nearly as much of a disadvantage as some people think.

As for not being able to understand because I am not blind like you,
that's a pretty bullshit statement, and it smacks of self-pity. I'd

have to be pretty fucking stoopid to be incapable of understanding
something as simple as sightlessness, and I'm insulted that you would
think otherwise. It's a lot harder for me to understand and empathize
with the intellectual blindness of someone like Schwann than it is for
me to put myself in YOUR shoes.

> I do laugh at myself, when the time is appropriate. Right now, I don't

> think the time is appropriate. We are dealing with a politically charged
> issue here.

For what it's worth, I thought you made an excellent point regarding

public trasportation in Phoenix and in general, but I wasn't dealing
with your politically charged issue at all. I was making an aside and
dealing only with your sightlessness and Chris' statement to the effect
that it was wrong of me to make fun of you. Like I said before, either
you have a sense of humor and we can be friends, or you don't have a
sense of humor and you can blow me.

> I did get the joke and chuckled about it, though.

Cool. I hope Chris learns something from this. I for one will never
insult you by being patronizing or condescending towards you simply
because your eyes don't work. You're just another person with a sense
of humor, as far as I'm concerned.

Neil

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

<movin...@geocities.com> wrote:
> Yeah, well. . . if *I* were blind, the LAST thing I'd want would be to
>be surrounded by smarmy condescending people pussyfooting around,
>pretending not to notice my blindness and trying desperately not to
>accidentally make fun of me for it. I'd want to be treated pretty much
>like everybody else (insofar as that would be possible, anyway). That
>includes being made fun of now and again, be it for blindness,
>hebephrenia, insertion of Taiwan or chronic virginity. If Phoenix Radio
>Man has a sense of humor that allows him to laugh at himself and his
>shortcomings, then he's one of us and deserves to be treated as such.
>If he *lacks* a sense of humor, then he can go fuck himself until he's
>deaf as well.

What a sad display.

First, you all take it upon yourself to make "fun" of someone's
physical disability, and not even to his face, but on Usenet, like a

bunch of spineless cowards. Then you pompously declare that he should

either laugh along with you or "go fuck himself", as though you
yourself somehow know and understand what kind of crap he has to put

up with on a regular basis. What truly disgusts me is that the teasing

and stupid remarks probably didn't end with junior high or high school

for him. Thanks to immature, overgrown, losers in life (I'm

predicting) like "Otis Beard", he has to deal with it in the "adult"
world as well (using that term very liberally, of course).

Neil

Bill

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

You are a real delight!

I bet you are hilarious in a quadraplegic ward.

And then I find out you don't even live here in Phoenix, just sticking your
nose in.

Well, good bye M. Otis Beard. You can ridicule all you want ... but I'll never
see it.

M. Otis Beard wrote:

> [...]

> offended, and they should NOT under ANY circumstances be expected to
> have anything even remotely resembling a sense of humor, 'cause that
> would just encourage them to think that they're capable of living
> useful, productive, fulfilling lives on a level playing field with
> everybody else.
>

> > What truly disgusts me is that the teasing
> > and stupid remarks probably didn't end with junior high or high school
> > for him.
>

> You tell 'em, brother! I bet that poor blind guy is sitting in his
> specially designed orthopedic wheelchair RIGHT NOW, crying his eyes out
> (OK, that didn't come out right, but you know what I mean).
>

> > Thanks to immature, overgrown, losers in life (I'm
> > predicting) like "Otis Beard", he has to deal with it in the "adult"
> > world as well (using that term very liberally, of course).

Phoenix Radio Man

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

Neil wrote:
> What a sad display.

Neil, you protest a bit much..... Careful about that foot & mouth
problem...

Also, I understood the joke he was making and simply ignored it in my

Bill

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

Actually, Symington is proof that the system DOES work.

The wheels of justice grind slowly, but exceedingly fine.

He managed to get away with stuff for awhile, mainly because of the
willingness of Arizonans to implicitly trust rich Republicans. But he did
get caught, and was tried and found guilty and removed from office.

If the system didn't work, he would still be governor.

Wotan wrote:

> In article <341A3E...@juno.com>,
> Phoenix Radio Man <Phx_ra...@juno.com> wrote while drinking:

> >Unfortunately, as demonstrated by the turnout in my polling precicnt,
> >people have ceased to care what happens to them.
>

> It is not that they don't care numbnuts.
>
> Its that they no longer have faith that the system works. If you wonder
> how such a thing can happen, look at Symington.
>
> --
> Test-tube babies shouldn't throw stones.

Thomas M Richardson

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

[ I was going to post something about how happy I was to see
that Joe Bay was back and all, but then I read some e-mail
about how he got to hang out at Lisa's and that made me real
mad and jealous and now I HATE ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!! ]

Nick S Bensema (ni...@primenet.com) wrote:
> I'm ditching this thread, but chew on this:

YM "I'm ditching this thread right now; IYKWIM, AITYD". HTH.

> A license is supposed to certify that someone is qualified and competent
> to perform some sort of function. What other licensed activity, other
> than driving, results in multiple accidents or other malpractice EVERY
> SINGLE DAY?

Chew on *this* answer, Arizona-boyEEEE:

What other licensed activity, other than driving, results in multiple
accidents or other malpractice EVERY SINGLE DAY?

How about...

*POETIC* Licenses!

So THERE!!!!!!!!

Squeezes,
Tom Richardson

P.S.--If you doubt me, just ask "Jesse Garon". Man, that d00d has his
poetry registered with the FBI as a deadly weapon. He's not even
allowed to speak in verse on airplanes.

Really.

P.P.S.--Genius is pain!

Phoenix Radio Man

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

Wotan wrote:
> It is not that they don't care numbnuts.
Interesting style of debate.... Resort to namecalling when you don't
have confidence in your position.... Bad form.

> Its that they no longer have faith that the system works. If you wonder
> how such a thing can happen, look at Symington.

What caused that loss of faith, huh? Symington is only the latest
example (and not a very good one at that). When you get right down to
it, we have the right to run for high office in this country, but most
people don't have the MONEY to run for such office. There are a few
exceptions to this (as demonstrated in the Phoenix city elections of
1988).

We all have rights to run for high office, but its usually those with
the money that get in.... Most poorer folks have ceased voting because
they think that their vote won't count (based on the ignorant spoutings
of a few bad apples). This has had an effect since about the late
1950's.

Perhaps it is time the playing field gor leveled.... Make it so anyone
that has a right to vote, has the right to run for public office,
regardless of financial background.

> --
> Test-tube babies shouldn't throw stones.

Why? are you one?

M. Otis Beard

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

Phoenix Radio Man wrote:

> What smacks of something may not necessarily be something. There is a
> difference, even if you fail to see it.

No, I agree, and I'll take your word for it. . . sorry if I seemed a
little harsh there. I should have just taken a deep breath and tried to
explain WHY it isn't impossible for me to understand your world.
I spent a week without the use of my eyes once. It was scary and
difficult.

> I ask not for pity of any kind
> (that statge left me about 7 years ago).

Pity is something you won't get from me, ever. If I like you, you
might get some compassion. . . but the two are worlds apart.

> However, the best way to
> understand someone is to live their life. there are no exceptions to
> that rule. Unfortunately, since very few have an understanding, they
> fail to realize what we CAN do. They always focus on what we can't (like
> you did with the "driving" comment).

I only brought up your inability to drive because it related directly
to the excellent point you made in re the Phoenix mass transit
discussion. You don't have the option of driving yourself around, and
someone else earlier in the thread blatantly ignored the fact that
people like you are not uncommon. My main point was that it's
ridiculous to pretend that differences between different types of people
don't exist. Blind people can't drive (then again, sighted people
usually can't find their way around in the dark, even in a room with
which they are intimately familiar). People in wheelchairs can't
negotiate stairwells. People with acute Tourette's syndrome can't stop
themselves from making oddly inappropriate vocalizations. If we fail to
acknowledge these differences and make accomodations for them, then we
end up with a world designed ONLY for people who have no unusual needs.
. . a world with no bus system, no Braille and no wheelchair ramps where
Tourette's sufferers get their asses kicked for being profane. Those of
us who have no unusual needs have a vested interest in providing those
who do with some means of dealing with it all, because any of us could
be blinded or paralyzed or otherwise afflicted at any time.
Don't get me wrong, though -- it's one thing to say that you can't
drive because you can't see, and quite another to say that you can't
lead a happy, fulfilling, productive, exciting life because you can't
see.

> I stand by this opinion, based in
> the most part on facts. Ask someone what its like to be blind and most
> people answer firstly: "I can't even imagine what that must be like".
> Then they start to feel sorry for you.

Doesn't it suck when you know somebody is getting their pity all over
you? Pity is inherently condescending, and condescension is inherently
insulting.

> I believe what I do based on
> ACTUAL experience over the last 9 years. I used to drive, I rode bikes
> and flew an airplane as a hobby. I miss all that, but I can still type
> and still use a computer.

If you're like most people, there must be SOME good things about it,
even if they don't BEGIN to balance with the disadvantages. I seem to
recall reading somewhere that recent study indicates that the
newly-blind experience some rerouting of the visual area of the cortex
such that certain other senses are heightened. It's an old cliche that
the blind have more acute hearing than the sighted, but this is the
first real evidence that seems to support that.
But I digress. The real point I want to make here is that treating
you with kid gloves on USENET because of your blindness would be an
insult to you and likely to make you feel left out of a lot. If I were
sitting in a room with a bunch of people who were joking with each
other, punching each other on the arm, good-naturedly calling each other
names, exchanging ribaldries, etc. etc. and they were all studiously
POLITE to me, excluding me from the general banter, then I would be
hurt. I'm sure you don't need this explained to you. Interesting,
though, how people are willing to angrily leap to your defense when you
yourself don't feel in need of being defended.

> > have to be pretty fucking stoopid to be incapable of understanding
> > something as simple as sightlessness, and I'm insulted that you would
> > think otherwise. It's a lot harder for me to understand and empathize
> > with the intellectual blindness of someone like Schwann than it is for
> > me to put myself in YOUR shoes.

> I am sorry you feel that way, but until you live it 24/7 like I do, you

> really have only the barest concept of what it must be like.

Again, my comments here were a bit harsher than I meant them to be.
Still, I think that what you say about having only the barest concept of
what it must be like is an overstatement, and I disagree. I think there
are many subtleties that can't be appreciated without the experience,
but the basics of the situation can be easily grasped by anybody with a
decent imagination and half a brain (lots of people don't have either,
which explains the "I can't imagine that at all" response you hear so
often). Anyway, I HAVE lived it 24/7 like you do, but it was only for
one 7, thank gh0d.

> Intellectual blindness has its own problems (of which I suffered from
> when I was somewhat younger and thought I knew everything). You
> understand more about that than you think. We all do, having been a teen
> once. Unfortunately, some people don't grow out of it (A byproduct of
> their learning environment, I suppose). In the meantime, I fight and
> scratch everyday for what I think is right. It may not be right to you,
> but I have a belief and a sense of ethics that I cannot violate. It
> would be so simple to ignore such problems, but as I have leanred,
> ignorance only gets a person hurt.

There's a nicely subtle backhanded slap in the face for me in the
paragraph above. I had it coming for being overly harsh with you in my
last post, and it was skillfully done, so I'm just going to take it like
a man and keep my mouth shut.

> > For what it's worth, I thought you made an excellent point regarding
> > public trasportation in Phoenix and in general, but I wasn't dealing
> > with your politically charged issue at all. I was making an aside and
> > dealing only with your sightlessness and Chris' statement to the effect
> > that it was wrong of me to make fun of you. Like I said before, either

> > you have a sense of humor and we can be friends, or you don't have a
> > sense of humor and you can blow me.

> Thank you. I do appreciate that, even if I don't make much mention of
> it. Yes, My mistake in failing to realize the import of your second
> sentence here. As I posted previously, I did get a chuckle out of it,
> unfortunately, I ignored it when responding (a defect in perception and
> action, I think). No harm done, though in some circles, it can get a
> fist in the mouth (like has happened to me a few times)....

Just for the record, I seriously doubted that you actually had
somebody reading to you, and I fully expected you to read my post
supposedly directed to that person. The joke was for your amusement as
much as anybody else's, and I'm glad you laughed. Welcome to
alt.religion.kibology!

> Pardon my militant nature. Some people only understand force.

Here in a.r.k., we only understand farce.

Brian Trosko

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

Phoenix Radio Man <Phx_ra...@juno.com> wrote:

: I ask not for pity of any kind

No pity. Just money.

Brian "Sorry; I gave all my pity to that guy who lives under the bridge"
Trosko

Lisa Rea

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

So then, anti...@asu.edu (Neil) is all like:

>First, you all take it upon yourself to make "fun" of someone's
>physical disability, and not even to his face, but on Usenet, like a
>bunch of spineless cowards.

Yeah, that's pretty cool, huh? Most guys can only act like one
spineless coward at once. I will have you know that my fiance has more
spinelessness and cowardice in his little finger than a thousand
regular men have in their whole bodies.

>Then you pompously declare that he should
>either laugh along with you or "go fuck himself", as though you

You will notice "Neil," that, in a later post, Mr. Beard kindly made
amends by telling him that if he didn't have a sense of humor, he
could blow him. If that's not altruistic, I dunno what is.

Is it just that you want to take advantage of his generosity and give
him a blowjob, too?

M. Otis Beard

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

Neil wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Sep 1997 00:34:01 GMT, lis...@dim.com (Lisa Rea) wrote:
>
> >You will notice "Neil," that, in a later post, Mr. Beard kindly made
> >amends
> (snip)
>
> What a guy! First he acts like a coward. Then he's not even man enough
> to stick to his guns.

Look, I don't have a lot of time for this today. Do you want to give
me a blowjob or not? I've only got about an hour, and it takes me a
good 45 minutes MINIMUM to blow my load, so if you're gonna suck it,
"Neil," you'd better hurry up and get started.

M. Otis Beard

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

Bill wrote:

> You are a real delight!

I wuv 'oo too, Bill!

> I bet you are hilarious in a quadraplegic ward.

Yeah, I do stand-up comedy there. Get it? STAND-UP comedy?

> And then I find out you don't even live here in Phoenix, just sticking your
> nose in.

No, the message I replied to was cross-posted into
alt.religion.kibology, which is a teddibly teddibly droll sort of
newsgroup and not for the faint of heart. Or the numb of skull, like
you.
Isn't it kewl how I can call you a numbskull, and you can't say
anything in reply because you can't read this message 'cause you've
killfiled me? Someday I hope to get into all the killfiles in the world
so I can rant and rave endlessly about whatever bugs me, and nobody will
beable to disagree with me or call me names because they WON'T EVEN READ
MY POSTS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

> Well, good bye M. Otis Beard. You can ridicule all you want ... but I'll never
> see it.

Neither will Phoenix Radio Man, but I'll still get an intelligent reply
out of HIM. . . which is much more than I can say for you, poopy bear.
Don't reply to this message if you're as dumb as I think you are, OK?
OK!

Brian Trosko

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

Chris <nos...@netware.com> wrote:

: WHO put your children through school? YOU?

I have no children. I've been putting myself through school. Paying my
own way. Working full-time. No student loans. No handouts. My own work,
my own money, my own time.

And I get a bit resentful when someone wants to take money out of my
paycheck just so they don't have to catch a cab.

: You went to college, you put your kids through school, you drive on the
: road, therefore you depend on public money yourself.

Where do you get all that? I have no kids.

Neil

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

On 14 Sep 1997 07:41:00 -0700, Brian Trosko <btr...@primenet.com>
wrote:

>Chris <nos...@netware.com> wrote:
>: You went to college, you put your kids through school, you drive on the
>: road, therefore you depend on public money yourself.
>
>Where do you get all that? I have no kids.

In all fairness, if you take any classes at either community college
or one of our state universities (you did mention earlier that you're
putting yourself through school), you're receiving subsidized
education.

joseph richard koleszar

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

In article <5vf8qr$l0o$1...@gte1.gte.net>,

M. Otis Beard <movin...@geocities.com> wrote:

>Phoenix Radio Man wrote:
>>
>> What smacks of something may not necessarily be something. There is a
>> difference, even if you fail to see it.
>
> No, I agree, and I'll take your word for it. . . sorry if I seemed a
>little harsh there. I should have just taken a deep breath and tried to
>explain WHY it isn't impossible for me to understand your world.
> I spent a week without the use of my eyes once. It was scary and
>difficult.

Ditto here. 9 days. It sucked.

Ralph
--
Joseph Richard "Ralph" Koleszar | jkol...@copper.ucs.indiana.edu
I AM THE ANTIBOB(c)! I AM THE ANTIBOB(c)! I AM THE ANTIBOB(c)!

Lupus Yonderboy

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

Thus spake jkol...@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (joseph richard koleszar):

>M. Otis Beard <movin...@geocities.com> wrote:
>> No, I agree, and I'll take your word for it. . . sorry if I seemed a
>>little harsh there. I should have just taken a deep breath and tried to
>>explain WHY it isn't impossible for me to understand your world.
>> I spent a week without the use of my eyes once. It was scary and
>>difficult.
>
>Ditto here. 9 days. It sucked.

I lost a contact once. Trying to see with one eye but
not the other gave me a nasty headache, but SUPER
POWERS!!!!!

I also once forgot how to spell "of" but I didn't get
any super powers out of that.

HOW MANY FINGERS??!??!?!?!??!?!?!?
--
Alex Suter
"The new phone books are here!"

joseph richard koleszar

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

In article <5vhgnj$7t4$1...@Radon.Stanford.EDU>,
Lupus Yonderboy <asu...@Xenon.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

>HOW MANY FINGERS??!??!?!?!??!?!?!?

Just two. But they're the ones in the middle.

Neil

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

On 13 Sep 1997 23:49:00 -0700, wmcclatc (Wotan) wrote:

>In article <341B08C6...@worldnet.att.net>,
>Bill <wma...@worldnet.att.net> wrote while drinking:

>>Actually, Symington is proof that the system DOES work.
>

>No, its not.
>
>He is a crook. And he managed to fulfill the worst possible expectation
>of anyone with a bad outlook on the political process.
>If the system worked, Symington never would have engaged in illegal and
>unethical prctices in the first place.

Actually, the least we could expect was that the "system" allow the
public (and Fife's opponents in gubernatorial races) to verify his
claims of financial success, since he told us he'd "run the state like
he run his business" (thank God he didn't).

Phoenix Radio Man

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

Wotan wrote:
> In article <341B08C6...@worldnet.att.net>,
> Bill <wma...@worldnet.att.net> wrote while drinking:
> >Actually, Symington is proof that the system DOES work.
>
> No, its not.
Explain in detail why not......

> He is a crook. And he managed to fulfill the worst possible expectation
> of anyone with a bad outlook on the political process.

Actually, no he did not. He didn't get away with it. THAT is the
expectation that any crook dreams of.

> If the system worked, Symington never would have engaged in illegal and
> unethical prctices in the first place.

I hate to say it, but anyone can be a crook, and most that make it into
public office are exceptional because of skills learned over time. I
could be the biggest crook you know and you would never know it (until I
was exposed). However, since that is not the case, I don't worry about
it.

Phoenix Radio Man

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

joseph richard koleszar wrote:
> In article <5vf8qr$l0o$1...@gte1.gte.net>,

> M. Otis Beard <movin...@geocities.com> wrote:
> >Phoenix Radio Man wrote:
> >>
> >> What smacks of something may not necessarily be something. There is a
> >> difference, even if you fail to see it.
> >
> > No, I agree, and I'll take your word for it. . . sorry if I seemed a
> >little harsh there. I should have just taken a deep breath and tried to
> >explain WHY it isn't impossible for me to understand your world.
> > I spent a week without the use of my eyes once. It was scary and
> >difficult.
>
> Ditto here. 9 days. It sucked.
>
> Ralph
> --
> Joseph Richard "Ralph" Koleszar | At least you have an understanding (both of you). I am speaking to the vast majority that does not (or will not). Too many people take too many things for granted in this life (eyesight being chief among them). They wonder why someone like me is so vocal about it. More to the point, most of the general population is affraid of those like me (because we ARE different).

I was at the mall today and disccovered to my horror what ignorance can
exist. A child wlaked up to me and asked if I was blind. I said yes.
About that time, her parent walked up and hustled the kid away speaking
softly so as for me not to hear (which I did), "don't go near people
like him, they are sick!"

The impression I got from this exchange was the parent was more
frightened of me than the child was. What is it that scares people about
those with disabilities anyway?????

About an hour later, I was sitting in a booth at the Carl's Jr. in
Metrocenter, and I heard two old ladies making commentary about how
people should feel sorry for one like me. I piped up and told them that
they should not. I was then greeted with such anger at this remark from
those two ladies (something like I invaded their space). Ignorance
abounds in many shades, from the "good intentioned passerby" to the
obvious biggot who has no room in "his" world for those less "perfect"
than he/she.

Jaffo

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

In alt.religion.kibology, on Sun, 14 Sep 1997 19:50:29 -0700, Phoenix Radio
Man said:

:The impression I got from this exchange was the parent was more

:frightened of me than the child was. What is it that scares people about
:those with disabilities anyway?????

Well, like most people with disabilities, I enjoy grabbing people randomly in
public places and yelling BOOGA BOOGA at them.

I hope I'm not causing grief for the rest of you.

Jaffo

--
Actually, a forest fire is MUCH easier to control than a government. A fire
cannot change the rules it operates under when it is attacked. A fire can't

http://rampages.onramp.net/~jaffo/

Jaffo

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

In alt.religion.kibology, on Mon, 15 Sep 1997 04:57:59 GMT, Lisa Rea said:

:There used to be a little blind girl who lived down the street from
:me.
[Snip]

One time, I taught a blind girl how to golf. My parents sent me to this camp
for crippled children (perhaps the WORST experience of my life).

I had many sad and pathetic adventures there including:

Pushing a guy in a wheelchair down a hill too fast so we both fell down and
his chair tipped over. No injuries, just permanent emotional scars on both of
us. More on me since I was DRIVING dammit. Gravity is a harsh mistress.

Then there was the time when the sadistic camp counselors tried to scare us
and everybody was scared except the deaf kids who slept through the whole damn
thing and the INCREDIBLY STRONG kid with no legs who got scared and started
breaking things.

Then there was the blind girl who I taught to golf. She wasn't COMPLETELY
blind, she could see patterns of light and dark and contrast, so she could see
a white golf ball against the dark green of the course.

Everybody else was golfing and she was just standing there, so I started
talking to her about being blind and I had her pick up a club and try to hit
the ball. She did, so I set the ball up for her and said, "a little to the
left" "a little to the right" until she finally got it in the hole.

It was pretty cool.

But if you ever have a handicapped child, and someone offers to take them to a
"special camp," say NO. The counselors are bitter and resentful because they
wish they were around normal kids, and putting that many kids with that many
disabilities in one place is just ASKING for trouble.

It's probably better to send your handicapped child to a NORMAL camp and make
special arrangements for them. Being around normal children is probably a LOT
healthier in the long run.

HTH

Neil

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997 04:57:59 GMT, lis...@dim.com (Lisa Rea) wrote:

>Also, that "Neil" guy. I feel sorry for him, too.

Thanks, but I'm 20/20 and going strong.

"Neil"

Robert Basil

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

On 14 Sep 1997 00:58:25 GMT, "M. Otis Beard"
<movin...@geocities.com> wrote:

> Look, I don't have a lot of time for this today. Do you want to give
>me a blowjob or not? I've only got about an hour, and it takes me a
>good 45 minutes MINIMUM to blow my load, so if you're gonna suck it,
>"Neil," you'd better hurry up and get started.

Wow, I didn't know that the "Cyber-Sitter" software would let you type
the word "BlowJob". By the way, with the nick "Moving Hand" why would
you need a blowjob in the first place?

---
Robert Basil
Live Online: http://webmaster.arizonainternet.com
Network Manager: Arizona Internet Services, LLC.
Arizona's Largest Internet Presence Provider
http://www.azinternet.com (SGI - IRIX - Apache)
http://www.arizonainternet.com (Intergraph - NT - IIS)

Chris

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

M. Otis Beard wrote:

> Chris wrote:
> >
> > M. Otis Beard wrote:

> > > TO THE PERSON WHO READS USENET POSTS TO THIS GUY: Don't read any of
> > > the jokes we're about to make at his expense to him, OK? It'll be WAY
> > > funnier that way. THANKS.

> > What if he has a Braille newsreader? ;-) Really, though, I don't think
> > it's too funny to make fun of blind people! (or anybody who is forced
> > to ride the transit system in its present state)
>
> Yeah, well. . . if *I* were blind, the LAST thing I'd want would be to
> be surrounded by smarmy condescending people pussyfooting around,
> pretending not to notice my blindness and trying desperately not to
> accidentally make fun of me for it. I'd want to be treated pretty much
> like everybody else (insofar as that would be possible, anyway). That
> includes being made fun of now and again, be it for blindness,
> hebephrenia, insertion of Taiwan or chronic virginity. If Phoenix Radio
> Man has a sense of humor that allows him to laugh at himself and his
> shortcomings, then he's one of us and deserves to be treated as such.
> If he *lacks* a sense of humor, then he can go fuck himself until he's
> deaf as well. I certainly don't hear you complaining about people
> making fun of Nick Bensema for being unable to get laid, and for a guy
> his age, that's gotta be at least as sensitive a sore point as blindness
> is for PRM.

Well, I have no idea who this Nick Bensema is, but even not being able
to "get laid" as you so romantically put it, is not a thing about which
you should make fun of. Maybe in alt.rec.humour.cantgetlaid, but not in
az.general. Yes, there are many personal attacks against opinions,
dialect, heritage, and grammar in here, but I'd rather not see it become
a group that picks people apart for what they can't help rather than
what they stand for.

Chris

Chris

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

Brian Trosko wrote:

> Chris <nos...@netware.com> wrote:
>
> : WHO put your children through school? YOU?
>
> I have no children. I've been putting myself through school. Paying my
> own way.

What school are you going to? Private, or public? If you are going to
a city or State college, you are being subsidised through taxes. And my
point was... that putting children through public school is subsidised,
unlike what you state below.

Working full-time. No student loans. No handouts. My own work,
> my own money, my own time.
>
> And I get a bit resentful when someone wants to take money out of my
> paycheck just so they don't have to catch a cab.
>

> : You went to college, you put your kids through school, you drive on the
> : road, therefore you depend on public money yourself.
>
> Where do you get all that? I have no kids.

You snipped (conveniently) the sentence I was replying to. Here it is:
You wrote:

{Don't wave that sanctimonious bullshit around in az.general. Until
{you've
{tried to pay your way through college on a minimal salary, or tried to
{raise a family and put your children through school on a workingman's
{wage, you've got no real understanding of what it means to take more
{money
{out of peoplees' wallets to finance your pet project.

Sorry if I got the wrong impression from your post, but it truly sounded
like you were trying to get sympathy for having to raise your children,
and put them through school on a workingman's salary. (even though the
home-owning public pays for most of that, anyway)
Maybe it's because I'm using a inferior newsreader? :-)

Chris

Well basically

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997 04:57:59 GMT, lis...@dim.com (Lisa Rea) wrote:

>Me, I feel sorry for silly old biddies who need to sit around in fast
>food restaurants looking for someone to feel sorry for.
>
>Also, that "Neil" guy. I feel sorry for him, too.
>
>Lisa.

I feel sorry for people that feel sorry for people that feel sorry for
people. Especially when the people that the people feel sorry for
that the people feel sorry for that I feel sorry for don't even feel
sorry for themselves. I'm sorry.

Joseph Michael Bay

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

Phoenix Radio Man <Phx_ra...@juno.com> writes:

>of a sad case. You appear to be defending my position, but I must warn
>you, sometimes you will get caught in the cross fire here.

Yeah, but it's a dry heat.

--
Joe Bay B1FF
Brought to you by a grant from the Annenberg CPB project, R()0LZ!
the Helena Rubenstein Foundation !!!!!!!!!1
and stooges like you. AMIGA 4EVER!

Lisa Rea

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

So then, Phoenix Radio Man <Phx_ra...@juno.com> is all like:

>I was at the mall today and disccovered to my horror what ignorance can
>exist. A child wlaked up to me and asked if I was blind. I said yes.
>About that time, her parent walked up and hustled the kid away speaking
>softly so as for me not to hear (which I did), "don't go near people
>like him, they are sick!"

There used to be a little blind girl who lived down the street from
me. She was my son's best friend's sister, so I'd take her with us
sometimes when we went places. This little girl was the sweetest,
funniest, smartest and toughest person I've known. She'd ditch her
cane on her front porch and ride her big brother's bike, she'd do
funny dances and say it was because she was blind so nobody could see
her, and tell her brother that it was good that she was already blind
because he was SOOOO gross he would turn her into being so blind that
she would never even be able to say the word 'see.'

Anyhows, when we'd go someplace, little kids would come up and ask her
questions about being blind. She loved those questions. She answered
them all, and these little kids would be fascinated. But sometimes,
you'd see some little kid start toward her and a parent would grab
them away and whisper angrily. I like to think she never knew about
that, but I can't really believe that.

One time, at the zoo, this ridiculous redneck man walked right up to
her and started laying hands on her, crying and telling her that Jesus
was going to make her see NOW!!! Before I could even get to him to
knock him into a million pieces, this little girl is trying to calm
him down, telling him that she is really very happy and doesn't mind
not being able to see, so please try not to be disappointed when it
doesn't work.

Now, I'm not saying that being blind made her all special and wise or
anything. She was, really. But not because she was blind. This is not
a made for TV movie.

Thing is, she was just a sweet little girl who really understood that
sometimes, people are assholes and that's really no skin off her nose.

>The impression I got from this exchange was the parent was more
>frightened of me than the child was. What is it that scares people about
>those with disabilities anyway?????

Kids, for the most part, aren't scared of stuff until they're taught
to be.

And those parents are just confused and scared and stupid. I can't
imagine how miserable and sad it would be to go through life with the
inability to discern physical from moral or emotional characteristics.
It's like they're living in some twisted fairy tale where all the bad
guys have limps and all the evil witches have dowager's humps.

>About an hour later, I was sitting in a booth at the Carl's Jr. in
>Metrocenter, and I heard two old ladies making commentary about how
>people should feel sorry for one like me. I piped up and told them that
>they should not. I was then greeted with such anger at this remark from
>those two ladies (something like I invaded their space). Ignorance
>abounds in many shades, from the "good intentioned passerby" to the
>obvious biggot who has no room in "his" world for those less "perfect"
>than he/she.

Me, I feel sorry for silly old biddies who need to sit around in fast

John Collins

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

Hee, hee, hee. Says it all, doesn't it!

Joseph Michael Bay <jm...@leland.Stanford.EDU> wrote in article
<5v7k0u$f...@saga19.Stanford.EDU>...
: ni...@primenet.com (Nick S Bensema) writes:
:
[...]
: --

:

Lisa Rea

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

So then, a@a.a (Well basically) is all like:

>I feel sorry for people that feel sorry for people that feel sorry for
>people. Especially when the people that the people feel sorry for
>that the people feel sorry for that I feel sorry for don't even feel
>sorry for themselves. I'm sorry.

Yeah? Well, you know who I REALLY feel sorry for but I forgot to count
earlier when I was making the list of the people that I feel sorry
for?

YOU.

Yeah, YOU.

Why?

Because I am gonna kick your ass.

That is why.

HA.

Michael Straight

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

On 15 Sep 1997, Joseph Michael Bay wrote:

> Phoenix Radio Man <Phx_ra...@juno.com> writes:
>
> >of a sad case. You appear to be defending my position, but I must warn
> >you, sometimes you will get caught in the cross fire here.
>

> Yeah, but it's a dry heat.

AAAAAAAAAAAHH! You keep mispelling 'heaves'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SMTIRCAHIAGEHLT

Well basically

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997 22:29:31 -0500, ja...@onramp.net (Jaffo) wrote:

>In alt.religion.kibology, on Sun, 14 Sep 1997 19:50:29 -0700, Phoenix Radio
>Man said:
>

>:The impression I got from this exchange was the parent was more

>:frightened of me than the child was. What is it that scares people about
>:those with disabilities anyway?????
>

>Well, like most people with disabilities, I enjoy grabbing people randomly in
>public places and yelling BOOGA BOOGA at them.
>
>I hope I'm not causing grief for the rest of you.
>
>Jaffo

He's right you know.

Purport: Yes, asinine behavior in healthy, able bodied people of
means and property can only be explained as a reaction to sociopathic
behavior on the part of their inferiors - Further proof of the urgent
need for mandatory impressment and indenturitudinousness with
attendant seizure of land and chattels for the benefit of wealthy
landowners and their vassals, thanes, courtesans and fooles. Won't
you please contribute?

Just A Man

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

wrote:

>Well, thanks to approximately 300 Phoenix voters, I'll be bumming rides
>every time I want to do anything more than about two miles away on the
>weekend.
>

>And had you read the proposition, you would have realized that it benefited
>you people too. It would have funded some much-needed street improvements.
>That would have cinched it for me if I had to drive everywhere.
>

>You people must really enjoy fighting traffic, and expending gas on your
>air conditioner while you're idling on a crowded freeway.
>

>--
>Nick Bensema <ni...@primenet.com> 98-KUPD Red Card Holder #710563
>~~~~ ~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Hey, that kinda looks like... Tom Selleck!"
Well Nick,
Did you realize that this proposistion was for a permanent sales
tax...Like for the rest of our lives? To add some buses, left turn
lanes and plan for light rail.

It wasen't that I was opposed to the prop. just opposed to how FAT it
was. Trim it down to include a prop. for more buses and extended
hours/routes. THEN let us vote on the rail issue seperately...Don't
try to insult us by lumping the two together. What about the idea of
raising the bus fare A LITTLE and split the cost wirth tax
payers......yes, I realize that people who ride the bus are tax payers
too.

Mark

Lupus Yonderboy

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

Thus spake nos...@asu.edu:

>lis...@dim.com (Lisa Rea) wrote:
>>Also, that "Neil" guy. I feel sorry for him, too.
>
>Thanks, but I'm 20/20 and going strong.

People! Reduce fractions!

"Thanks, but I'm 1 and going strong."

Much better. And quite verbal for one, too.

stopcros...@on.net

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

John Collins

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

Keith Wood <kei...@bctv.com> wrote in article
<2zwF0wUN...@bctv.com>...
: In article <5v5c8k$7...@nntp02.primenet.com>,

: ni...@primenet.com (Nick S Bensema) wrote:
: [Well, thanks to approximately 300 Phoenix voters, I'll be bumming rides
: [every time I want to do anything more than about two miles away on the
: [weekend.

:
: Buy a bike. Get a job and buy a car. What right do you have to steal MY

: money for YOUR convenience?
:

What right do YOU have stealing MY money for your convienience? Federal
monies go to subsidizing the oil and auto companies in much greater volumes
than anything going towards mass transit.

Your ignorance is showing, Buckwheat!

Phoenix Radio Man

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

Well basically wrote:
> He's right you know.
> Purport: Yes, asinine behavior in healthy, able bodied people of
> means and property can only be explained as a reaction to sociopathic
> behavior on the part of their inferiors - Further proof of the urgent
> need for mandatory impressment and indenturitudinousness with
> attendant seizure of land and chattels for the benefit of wealthy
> landowners and their vassals, thanes, courtesans and fooles. Won't
> you please contribute?

What?!?!

Whats all this meaningless chatter you spouted supposed to be?

BTW, I posted this in Az.General only, so why is it being cross posted
to alt.religion.blahblahblah???????

In the meantime, I don't think your theological nonesense applies here
pal.

Well basically

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997 13:22:16 GMT, lis...@dim.com (Lisa Rea) wrote:

>Yeah? Well, you know who I REALLY feel sorry for but I forgot to count
>earlier when I was making the list of the people that I feel sorry
>for?
>
>YOU.
>
>Yeah, YOU.
>
>Why?
>
>Because I am gonna kick your ass.
>
>That is why.
>
>HA.

It's because I was mean to Jaffo isn't it. Oh, I'm sure you were
making great progress with his ideological reeducation and everything,
but dammit an example had to be made. This ain't no popularity
contest. Now why don't you get your fanny back in that kitchen and
rustle up some fancy homemade pie? You know, you could make somebody
a passable little wife someday. If you wasn't so ornery!

John Collins

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

One big fat ol' "PLONK"!

William A.B. House <wbr...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<5v8hc3$q...@sjx-ixn10.ix.netcom.com>...

:
: ni...@primenet.com (Nick S Bensema) writes:

: >Keith Wood <kei...@bctv.com> wrote:
: >>ni...@primenet.com (Nick S Bensema) wrote:
:

<SNIP>
:
:
: Well, if your fascist government wouldn't be wasting so much money on
: persecuting drug users...

Then the ignorant citizens of Phoenix would *still* vote against
mass-transit.
BTW - Get a life, get laid, get counciling, get a psychotherapist, get
SOMETHING, before you shoot someone.

It is loading more messages.