phusion passenger on ubuntu 10.04: why apache2-prefork-dev when we want apache2-mpm-worker?

Diana Diamond

May 30, 2010, 1:53:17 PM5/30/10
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
i want to install phusion passenger together with ruby enterprise
edition on x86_64 SMP ubuntu 10.04. the recommended option seems to be

apache2-mpm-worker

but when i run passenger-install-apache2-module

the installation routine of phusion passenger complains

To install Apache 2 development headers: Please run apt-get
install apache2-prefork-dev as root.

why do we need prefork-dev here, if we clearly want to run passenger
with mpm-worker apache2? any suggestions? is there a worker-dev
package?

Diana Diamond

May 30, 2010, 3:15:15 PM5/30/10
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
i also asked this question on stack overflow.
see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2939670/phusion-passenger-on-ubuntu-10-04-why-apache2-prefork-dev-when-we-want-apache2-m

there is one answer already. i suggest to update the docs and also the
installer to have all ubuntu users install the worker and not the
prefork version.

Hongli Lai

May 30, 2010, 4:04:41 PM5/30/10
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com

Most users will want prefork for PHP compatibility. You are free to
install worker if that's what you really want, the installer just
won't tell you to do so.

--
Phusion | The Computer Science Company

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 08173483 (The Netherlands)

Felipe Gallois

Mar 21, 2011, 5:14:47 PM3/21/11
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com, Hongli Lai
Is it still an issue or does the worker now work fine with mod_php?