NativeSupport.close_all_file_descriptors breaks in ruby 1.9.3-preview1

fwoeck

Aug 15, 2011, 5:41:31 AM8/15/11
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Hi,
with ruby 1.9.3-prev1 on a centos56 machine i'm running on a problem
like this: In the ngnx-log file:

[ASYNC BUG] thread_timer: select
EBADF
ruby 1.9.3dev (2011-07-31 revision 32789) [i686-linux]
[NOTE]
You may have encountered a bug in the Ruby interpreter or extension
libraries.
Bug reports are welcome.

This is also describe here:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/37727

When I comment out
NativeSupport.close_all_file_descriptors
in lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server.rb
it basically runs.

Is there a reasonable hotfix for this (I suspect commenting out this
line is not a good thing to do)?
-Frank

Hongli Lai

Aug 15, 2011, 11:28:11 AM8/15/11
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com

This has already been fixed in Phusion Passenger 3.0.8.

--
Phusion | Ruby & Rails deployment, scaling and tuning solutions

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 08173483 (The Netherlands)

fwoeck

Aug 15, 2011, 11:50:00 AM8/15/11
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Hi, thank you for you quick reply! I'm actually having this issue with
3.0.8 - or do you mean github/master?
--Frank
> E-mail: i...@phusion.nl

Hongli Lai

Aug 15, 2011, 1:12:13 PM8/15/11
On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 5:50 PM, fwoeck <fwo...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi, thank you for you quick reply! I'm actually having this issue with
> 3.0.8 - or do you mean github/master?

No, I mean 3.0.8. It was fixed in this commit:
https://github.com/FooBarWidget/passenger/commit/e83d4cf6d0c2272e823d7ba690ee3cbb57a415bf
We even use the new API they provide. This does mean that you need to
recompile Phusion Passenger against Ruby 1.9.3.
Are you sure you're experiencing the same problem?

--
Phusion | Ruby & Rails deployment, scaling and tuning solutions

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl

fwoeck

Aug 15, 2011, 1:20:12 PM8/15/11
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
well, I think so - I compiled 3.0.8 on the centos56 (kernel 32bit,
2.6.18-238.19.1) with a nginx 1.0.5 from source with

--with-http_gzip_static_module --add-module=/vendor/nginx-gridfs-mod --
with-http_realip_module

and when I start the server I get the error described below. When I
comment the line #165
NativeSupport.close_all_file_descriptors(file_descriptors_to_leave_open)

in .rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-preview1@ng/gems/passenger-3.0.8/lib/
phusion_passenger/abstract_server.rb
it works.

Btw. this problem doesn't show up in OsX with the same combination.
--Frank

On 15 Aug., 19:12, Hongli Lai <hon...@phusion.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 5:50 PM, fwoeck <fwo...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, thank you for you quick reply! I'm actually having this issue with
> > 3.0.8 - or do you mean github/master?
>
> No, I mean 3.0.8. It was fixed in this commit:https://github.com/FooBarWidget/passenger/commit/e83d4cf6d0c2272e823d...
> We even use the new API they provide. This does mean that you need to
> recompile Phusion Passenger against Ruby 1.9.3.
> Are you sure you're experiencing the same problem?
>
> --
> Phusion | Ruby & Rails deployment, scaling and tuning solutions
>
> Web:http://www.phusion.nl/
> E-mail: i...@phusion.nl

fwoeck

Aug 15, 2011, 1:24:40 PM8/15/11
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
( there is a stacktrace at https://staging.livesein.eu/ )

On 15 Aug., 19:12, Hongli Lai <hon...@phusion.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 5:50 PM, fwoeck <fwo...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, thank you for you quick reply! I'm actually having this issue with
> > 3.0.8 - or do you mean github/master?
>
> No, I mean 3.0.8. It was fixed in this commit:https://github.com/FooBarWidget/passenger/commit/e83d4cf6d0c2272e823d...
> We even use the new API they provide. This does mean that you need to
> recompile Phusion Passenger against Ruby 1.9.3.
> Are you sure you're experiencing the same problem?
>
> --
> Phusion | Ruby & Rails deployment, scaling and tuning solutions
>
> Web:http://www.phusion.nl/
> E-mail: i...@phusion.nl

Hongli Lai

Aug 15, 2011, 1:37:02 PM8/15/11
On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 7:24 PM, fwoeck <fwo...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> ( there is a stacktrace at https://staging.livesein.eu/ )

What do you see in the web server error log?

--
Phusion | Ruby & Rails deployment, scaling and tuning solutions

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl

fwoeck

Aug 15, 2011, 1:56:17 PM8/15/11
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
just

welcome.For details: http://www.ruby-lang.org/bugreport.html

On 15 Aug., 19:37, Hongli Lai <hon...@phusion.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 7:24 PM, fwoeck <fwo...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > ( there is a stacktrace athttps://staging.livesein.eu/)
>
> What do you see in the web server error log?
>
> --
> Phusion | Ruby & Rails deployment, scaling and tuning solutions
>
> Web:http://www.phusion.nl/
> E-mail: i...@phusion.nl

Ranjib Dey

Nov 8, 2011, 6:42:46 AM11/8/11
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
same here, with
ruby 1.9.3p0 (2011-10-30 revision 33570) [i686-linux]
and
passenger (3.0.9)

Hongli Lai

Nov 8, 2011, 7:12:29 AM11/8/11