Asynchronous spawning not working?

Fjan

Nov 16, 2010, 9:58:39 AM11/16/10
to Phusion Passenger Discussions

I'm on Apache / Rails 3 / Passenger 3 and I'm trying to get the
"asynchronous spawning" feature to work. My app has a non trivial
start-up time so I'd like to avoid the delay on each deploy.

When I touch tmp/restart.txt and connect the first page then stalls
for a while while the app spins up just like with passenger 2.x. From
reading the blog I thought this was supposed to be a thing of the past
with passenger 3?

I have "PassengerMinInstances" set to a non-zero value. Is there
anything else I need to do? Or am I misunderstanding how this feature
is supposed to work?

John Joseph Bachir

Nov 17, 2010, 12:02:39 PM11/17/10
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm experiencing the same thing and would be interested to know how to make asynchronous spawning work.

Thanks,
John

Fjan

Nov 17, 2010, 6:05:48 PM11/17/10
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I played around some more and interestingly it does seem to work on a
busy server, just not if you try with a single request.
-j

On Nov 17, 6:02 pm, John Joseph Bachir <johnjosephbac...@gmail.com>

Hongli Lai

Nov 17, 2010, 6:17:12 PM11/17/10
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
The behavior you're thinking of is rolling restart. Asynchronous
spawning is different from that. It is enabled by default, no way to
disable it. We spawn new processes in the background. But when you
touch tmp/restart.txt, it shuts down all existing processes first,
which is why you may still experience a spawning delay during restart.

Rolling restarts will be provided in a premium version of Phusion
Passenger in the near future.

--
Phusion | The Computer Science Company

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 08173483 (The Netherlands)

Fjan

Nov 18, 2010, 8:45:59 AM11/18/10
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll be awaiting the premium
version then :-)
Cheers,
Jan