Problems with MAMP on Leopard

Drew

Aug 29, 2008, 3:59:13 AM8/29/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I have successfully installed passenger on my MAMP installation due to
help in this group and arround the internet. Although it installed I
am have trouble getting apps to spawn. When I created a virtual host
with the path in my home directory I get this error message ***
Exception SecurityError in spawn manager (Insecure operation -
directory?). I figured maybe it was a permissions error so I tried to
move the app to /Applications/MAMP/htdocs when I run the app from
there I get this error message *** Exception SecurityError in spawn
manager (Insecure operation - lstat).

I cannot find references to these messages on the gooogles anywhere
and lstat has something to due with sym links so maybe there is a
faulty sim link somewhere.
Is anybody else running into this issue. Can anybody help?

Drew

Sep 14, 2008, 7:00:42 PM9/14/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I have finally solved it. For anyone else MAMP needs to be run as root
and as I was using the dashboard widget to start MAMP, this caused it
to be running it under my user. So to run MAMP as root "sudo /
Applications/MAMP/bin/start.sh" there is also stop.sh in the same
folder and everything worked. Note for me mysql has problems starting
with the script, but does not have to be running as root so therefore
can be started by the application.

Johan

Sep 21, 2008, 8:05:18 AM9/21/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I tried what you listed above, but when i do that nothing seems to
work. The server is not reacting on any url i type in my browser, and
i am sure apache is running.

Can you pleaze explain in detail what you did to make it work ?
I tried to run the commands you listed above and those will result in
apache not responding to url's this is what my bashs gives when i run
the command sudo /
Applications/MAMP/bin/start.sh:

mbp-butsjoh:~ johanbuts$ sudo /Applications/MAMP/bin/start.sh
mbp-butsjoh:~ johanbuts$ A mysqld process already exists
sudo /Applications/MAMP/bin/start.sh
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /Applications/MAMP/db/mysql
mbp-butsjoh:~ johanbuts$ STOPPING server from pid file /Applications/
MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.pid
080921 14:03:01 mysqld ended

When i then go to my browser and type in an url that i created by
adding a directory in the MAMP PRO interface, I get a Cannot connect
error (firefox).

Can you provide some more feedback ?

thnx in advance

Drew

Sep 24, 2008, 2:58:31 AM9/24/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I have since my last post come up with a better solution. it is not
perfect but solves the problem.
It is outlined here http://forum.webedition.de/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=372
on how to run apache as root with MAMP. Hopefully that will help.