Passenger: Command Not Found

kwyjibo

Dec 15, 2009, 10:34:37 AM12/15/09
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I'm on Ubuntu 9.10, installed passenger via gems, and 2.2.7 installed
with no problem...so I thought. When I type: passenger-install-apache2-
module, it tells me 'Command Not Found'.

So, I tried through the package manager instead, and there is only
'libapache2-mod-passenger', but it won't install because apache2-mpm-
worker is not installed. So, I go to install that, and it tells me I
need to uninstall a bunch of programs including php and phpmyadmin!
What? I don't want to do that.

Yes, I'm a noob, so please be nice! ;)

I've already gone through all the prelim steps: sudo apt-get update,
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, installed ruby, installed rails, and I was
told to install these dependencies:

sudo apt-get install apache2-prefork-dev libapr1-dev libaprutil1-dev

Is that right?

Any advice about how to get this up and running?

Hongli Lai

Dec 15, 2009, 11:16:12 AM12/15/09
to phusion-passenger
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 7:34 AM, kwyjibo <ajdi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm on Ubuntu 9.10, installed passenger via gems, and 2.2.7 installed
> with no problem...so I thought. When I type: passenger-install-apache2-
> module, it tells me 'Command Not Found'.

If you installed passenger through Debian/Ubuntu's 'gem' command then
passenger-install-apache2-module is placed in /var/lib/gems/bin (or
something like that), thanks to ridiculous Debian packaging policies.
This directory is not in $PATH by default which is why you get a
'command not found'. You need to refer to the command with an absolute
path.

> So, I tried through the package manager instead, and there is only
> 'libapache2-mod-passenger', but it won't install because apache2-mpm-
> worker is not installed. So, I go to install that, and it tells me I
> need to uninstall a bunch of programs including php and phpmyadmin!
> What? I don't want to do that.

The Ubuntu package is created by Brightbox. Their packages are
currently compiled for Apache with the worker MPM, but PHP is not
thread-safe and can only be used with the prefork MPM. You should file
a bug report at Brightbox if you think this is a problem.

--
Phusion | The Computer Science Company

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 08173483 (The Netherlands)

Asif Shams

Dec 16, 2009, 2:55:40 AM12/16/09
to phusion passenger
Hi,

Can any one tell me the ownership and group membership of rails application, I am using root:root, is there any issue using this or I need to change any other user. I am also using plesk console to create domains

Regards
Asif Shams

Hongli Lai

Dec 16, 2009, 3:01:18 AM12/16/09