Who's using this in production?

Levi Cook

Sep 24, 2008, 1:18:25 PM9/24/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I'm really liking Passenger -- I have it sitting in front of Merb and
Rails in development, and am starting to wonder if it's production
worthy.

I've gleaned from Google, various blogs, and so on that this is
getting traction in production. Among others, I see references to
Dreamhost, iLike and Railscasts running passenger. This is cool, but
I'm wondering if there's an official list started on this?

Any pointers are greatly appreciated!

- Levi

Rick Martinez

Sep 24, 2008, 2:52:04 PM9/24/08
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, I had a horrible time in production as much as I loved
Passenger. I kept getting stray 100% CPU ruby processes and couldn't
debug it at all. It was simply not worth the time and went back to
Litespeed. Even the website in Litespeed felt snappier than Passenger
while everything was working normal (without any 100% CPU processes in
the background).

I'm extremely disappointed, unfortunately, as far as Passenger in production.

Rick

Hongli Lai

Sep 24, 2008, 3:14:10 PM9/24/08
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com

wiki.rubyonrails.org has been running on Phusion Passenger for a while
now. Today we fixed a bug in Phusion Passenger and migrated
weblog.rubyonrails.org to Phusion Passenger as well. And of course all
our own apps are running on it. A few are public facing:

http://i18n-demo.phusion.nl/ (was running on Mongrel because of a bug
in the I18n demo app; now running on Phusion Passenger again after
having found a workaround)
http://sandbox.phusion.nl/

That said, some people (e.g. Rick) keep having unexplainable problems
with it. Can't have everything I guess, so use whatever works for you.

--
Phusion | The Computer Science Company

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 08173483 (The Netherlands)

Tom Copeland

Sep 24, 2008, 3:19:48 PM9/24/08

On Sep 24, 2008, at 3:14 PM, Hongli Lai wrote:

> Levi Cook wrote:
>> I'm really liking Passenger -- I have it sitting in front of Merb and
>> Rails in development, and am starting to wonder if it's production
>> worthy.
>>
>> I've gleaned from Google, various blogs, and so on that this is
>> getting traction in production. Among others, I see references to
>> Dreamhost, iLike and Railscasts running passenger. This is cool, but
>> I'm wondering if there's an official list started on this?
>>
>> Any pointers are greatly appreciated!
>>
>> - Levi
>
> wiki.rubyonrails.org has been running on Phusion Passenger for a while
> now. Today we fixed a bug in Phusion Passenger and migrated
> weblog.rubyonrails.org to Phusion Passenger as well. And of course all
> our own apps are running on it. A few are public facing:
>
> http://i18n-demo.phusion.nl/ (was running on Mongrel because of a bug
> in the I18n demo app; now running on Phusion Passenger again after
> having found a workaround)
> http://sandbox.phusion.nl/

FWIW, all the Ruby Central apps run on Passenger - e.g., http://rubyconf.org/
. I use Passenger everywhere now... no more Mongrel clusters for me...

Yours,

Tom

Levi Cook

Sep 24, 2008, 3:30:40 PM9/24/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Bummer. I just found your thread and am scanning through it now.

One thing I'm looking for, but haven't found yet, is what your hosting
environment looks like. That is, are you using a VPS or Pysical
server, what host os you working with, etc.

I'll keep digging, but thanks for the heads up.

- Levi

On Sep 24, 1:52 pm, "Rick Martinez" <rick.marti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, I had a horrible time in production as much as I loved
> Passenger.  I kept getting stray 100% CPU ruby processes and couldn't
> debug it at all.  It was simply not worth the time and went back to
> Litespeed.  Even the website in Litespeed felt snappier than Passenger
> while everything was working normal (without any 100% CPU processes in
> the background).
>
> I'm extremely disappointed, unfortunately, as far as Passenger in production.
>
> Rick

Jesse Proudman

Sep 24, 2008, 4:28:40 PM9/24/08
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
We're using it in production on http://style.mtv.com with no problems.
It took a day or two of tuning to get it all working right, but we and
our customer has been very happy with it since.

- Jesse Proudman
Blue Box Group, LLC

Ninh Bui

Sep 24, 2008, 4:55:25 PM9/24/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I'm actually really interested in seeing who is running passenger in
production as well, seeing as we're currently building the new website
for Phusion. If I'm not mistaken, parts of the NYTimes website are
also powered by passenger: see the donation list as well to get an
idea of who is running this in production. Needless to say, I'd love
to list the sites who are currently running passenger in production so
be sure to drop me a note if you want to be listed there as well :-)

@Jesse:
Ah, didn't know the guys from MTV were also using passenger nowadays
as well. Could I interest you in giving us a testimonial on your
experiences with passenger? :)

Cheers,
Ninh

On Sep 24, 10:28 pm, Jesse Proudman <jesse.proudman-
li...@blueboxgrp.com> wrote:
> We're using it in production onhttp://style.mtv.comwith no problems.

amos

Sep 24, 2008, 7:26:49 PM9/24/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Geni.com and Yammer.com are using it. We had issues with the 100% CPU
usage, but they went away when we switched to regular ruby 1.8.6 and
conservative spawning. I believe Ruby Enterprise has a bug in the
garbage collector that causes infinite loops.

On Sep 24, 1:55 pm, Ninh Bui <ninh....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm actually really interested in seeing who is running passenger in
> production as well, seeing as we're currently building the new website
> for Phusion. If I'm not mistaken, parts of the NYTimes website are
> also powered by passenger: see the donation list as well to get an
> idea of who is running this in production. Needless to say, I'd love
> to list the sites who are currently running passenger in production so
> be sure to drop me a note if you want to be listed there as well :-)
>
> @Jesse:
> Ah, didn't know the guys from MTV were also using passenger nowadays
> as well. Could I interest you in giving us a testimonial on your
> experiences with passenger? :)
>
> Cheers,
> Ninh
>
> On Sep 24, 10:28 pm, Jesse Proudman <jesse.proudman-
>
> li...@blueboxgrp.com> wrote:
> > We're using it in production onhttp://style.mtv.comwithno problems.

Fritzek

Sep 25, 2008, 3:06:40 AM9/25/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
poppster.com is running passenger and ruby enterprise on a Debian etch
physical server. As we started few days ago we are not really facing
too much load. So I can't give bad expierences because passenger runs,
runs, runs .... ;-)

TonyLa

Sep 25, 2008, 8:39:52 AM9/25/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
After some initial problems with VM size growing and crashing
Passenger a few months ago www.pingg.com has been happily running
Passenger in production.

MAEDA, Go

Sep 25, 2008, 10:09:48 AM9/25/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
http://redmine.jp/ (unofficial Redmine website in Japanese) is
using Radiant CMS and running on Passenger from April
without any trouble. But it is low traffic site (2000 - 3000 PV/day).

Jeff Kramer

Sep 25, 2008, 10:10:54 AM9/25/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
We're running it on www.specializedriders.com (available in both
english and german at the moment, more languages to follow). It's a
lot easier to maintain from a sysadmin perspective than nginx and
mongrel. We're running a few other apps on SliceHost slices, mostly
elearning and internal development projects.

Jeff Kramer
http://www.polycotlabs.com/

On Sep 25, 7:39 am, TonyLa <gonepos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After some initial problems with VM size growing and crashing
> Passenger a few months agowww.pingg.comhas been happily running

John Trupiano

Sep 25, 2008, 10:32:01 AM9/25/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
We have about a dozen client apps running Passenger, mostly single-
server setups on VPS's (Media Temple + Slicehost + Rackspace). We've
had lots of success running it on Ubuntu Server 8.0.4 and CentOS 5.2.

For older apps that we upgraded (from a Pound + Lighttpd + Mongrel
cluster solution), I've seen drastic improvements in memory usage and
stability.

-John

On Sep 25, 10:10 am, Jeff Kramer <jeffkra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We're running it onwww.specializedriders.com(available in both
> english and german at the moment, more languages to follow).  It's a
> lot easier to maintain from a sysadmin perspective than nginx and
> mongrel.  We're running a few other apps on SliceHost slices, mostly
> elearning and internal development projects.
>
> Jeff Kramerhttp://www.polycotlabs.com/
>
> On Sep 25, 7:39 am, TonyLa <gonepos...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > After some initial problems with VM size growing and crashing
> > Passenger a few months agowww.pingg.comhasbeen happily running

jeremy*pinnix

Sep 25, 2008, 10:55:51 AM9/25/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I'm using Passenger for 11 production client apps right now on
Slicehost VPS'. Works great.

On Sep 25, 9:32 am, John Trupiano <jtrupi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have about a dozen client apps running Passenger, mostly single-
> server setups on VPS's (Media Temple + Slicehost + Rackspace).  We've
> had lots of success running it on Ubuntu Server 8.0.4 and CentOS 5.2.
>
> For older apps that we upgraded (from a Pound + Lighttpd + Mongrel
> cluster solution), I've seen drastic improvements in memory usage and
> stability.
>
> -John
>
> On Sep 25, 10:10 am, Jeff Kramer <jeffkra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > We're running it onwww.specializedriders.com(availablein both
> > english and german at the moment, more languages to follow).  It's a
> > lot easier to maintain from a sysadmin perspective than nginx and
> > mongrel.  We're running a few other apps on SliceHost slices, mostly
> > elearning and internal development projects.
>
> > Jeff Kramerhttp://www.polycotlabs.com/
>
> > On Sep 25, 7:39 am, TonyLa <gonepos...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > After some initial problems with VM size growing and crashing
> > > Passenger a few months agowww.pingg.comhasbeenhappily running

Gravis

Sep 25, 2008, 11:01:02 AM9/25/08
On Sep 25, 4:55 pm, "jeremy*pinnix" <jpin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using Passenger for 11 production client apps right now on
> Slicehost VPS'. Works great.

Same Here, we're running Passenger with success from version 1.0.X on
sites :

http://www.woopets.com (Rails 2.1.1 - Passenger 2.0.3)
http://www.everyworld.fr (Rails 2.1.1 - Passenger 2.0.3)

works like a charm, we never had any outage in 5 months.

Thanks

JamieD

Sep 25, 2008, 11:26:56 AM9/25/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
We are using Passenger on around 500 customer sites at http://media72.net.
Had some initial switching issues but nothing terrible. We do have one
server that was getting memory issues like other people are seeing, on
that particular server we set apache to restart every few hours and
have left it like that just to be on the safe side.

Jamie

Bensoussan Michael

Sep 25, 2008, 11:30:22 AM9/25/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
We using it @ www.eyeka.com, works great !

Luke Francl

Sep 25, 2008, 12:21:10 PM9/25/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
We are using it in production for Tumblon, which is a site for parents
with young children: http://tumblon.com. Switching to Passenger made
managing our servers much easier. We are also using Ruby Enterprise
Edition to help with memory consumption.

I also use it on Dreamhost(!) for one of my side projects, Twistr.
Twistr is a mashup of Creative Commons Flickr images and Twitter
messages to make LOLcat-style images. Some of them are funny, some of
them are weird, most of them are stupid. http://twistr.org

Regards,
Luke Francl

James Andrews

Sep 25, 2008, 12:39:17 PM9/25/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I'm using passenger for a client site implementation at http://www.bloomandco.co.uk.
It's on a Fedora server running a number of other sites and
applications and haven't had any problems or issues.

Cheers,
James

On Sep 24, 10:55 pm, Ninh Bui <ninh....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm actually really interested in seeing who is running passenger in
> production as well, seeing as we're currently building the new website
> for Phusion. If I'm not mistaken, parts of the NYTimes website are
> also powered by passenger: see the donation list as well to get an
> idea of who is running this in production. Needless to say, I'd love
> to list the sites who are currently running passenger in production so
> be sure to drop me a note if you want to be listed there as well :-)
>
> @Jesse:
> Ah, didn't know the guys from MTV were also using passenger nowadays
> as well. Could I interest you in giving us a testimonial on your
> experiences with passenger? :)
>
> Cheers,
> Ninh
>
> On Sep 24, 10:28 pm, Jesse Proudman <jesse.proudman-
>

> li...@blueboxgrp.com> wrote:
> > We're using it in production onhttp://style.mtv.comwithno problems.

Bobnation

Sep 25, 2008, 12:43:02 PM9/25/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Currently using Passenger + Apache + Ubuntu Server 8.04 on my
development server at home. Rebuild happening this weekend and then
I'll see what happens.

amos

Sep 25, 2008, 1:14:41 PM9/25/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Just to assure people that Passenger scales, we're serving close to
100 million page views a month.

Thijs van der Vossen

Sep 25, 2008, 1:29:07 PM9/25/08
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
For our clients we've been running a lot of apps on Passenger since
May. Works fine.

We're also using Passenger in development [1] and we've created a nice
OS X Preference Pane to make this even easier [2].

Kind regards,
Thijs

[1] http://www.fngtps.com/2008/04/using-passenger-on-osx-for-rails-development
[2] http://www.fngtps.com/2008/09/passenger-preference-pane-v1-1

--
Fingertips - http://www.fngtps.com

Phone: +31 (0)6 24204845

MSN Messenger: th...@fngtps.com
iChat/AOL: t.vande...@mac.com
Google Talk: t.vande...@gmail.com

colo

Sep 25, 2008, 1:37:36 PM9/25/08
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com

Oh. ! I think you just gave me the incentive to get back into Rails.
I had been beat from installing all sorts Nginx and other tools for a
previous client tool.
And dreaded to get back into that hell. This looks nice. And from
reading all of these testimonials that it actually works! Sweet!

Boffbowsh

Sep 25, 2008, 2:01:50 PM9/25/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Yep, we're using it in production. www.fileplay.net is a dedicated
Gaming download site written in Rails and in production on Passenger
and Ruby EE on FreeBSD 7 64bit.

We had troubles initially with BSD's implementation of fd passing over
sockets, which Hongli got around very quickly. The Phusion team have
produced a great product, one that enabled us to serve the European
launch of the beta of EA Games' new MMO Warhammer Online. We served
around 800 hits a second using two machines (don't know spec off top
of my head) and Passenger never broke a sweat. We could have served
many more, i'm sure of it.

Cheers Phusion!

Ninh Bui

Sep 25, 2008, 2:14:42 PM9/25/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Now those are some cool numbers. What would it take me to get you to
help us out with a case study? :-) I think people would love to hear
more about your experiences, especially with those kinds of numbers of
visitors a month.

I'd again like to reiterate the importance of what you guys are
currently doing for us right now, and would like to encourage the
reader out there to post their experiences with passenger here.
Besides acting as a morale boost (to read what we're all doing it
for :-)), it also provides us with an opportunity to showcase our
technology (and our skills) to potential clients. Seeing as we've made
this open source from the get-go, this has always been the plan, but
what people may not realize is that maintaining Passenger costs a lot
of time and money. Open source is NOT free, at least not for one
party, i.e. the contributing party. Seeing as we've never asked, and
never will ask you for your money for Passenger unless you WANT to, we
need to find ways to sustain the project (thanks contributors!) as
well as ourselves. That hasn't been easy, seeing as Passenger was
built to be robust and stable, not many of you out there would ever
feel the need to have commercial support (another guy you may know
called Zed Shaw experienced the exact same with Mongrel) : this kind
of gives us mixed feelings, on the one hand, you couldn't be more
proud to have contributed to a robust product and see it do what it
should do, and to see what fortune 500 companies are using it. On the
other hand, we're investing lots and lots of hours to sustain a
project that isn't able to sustain us financially in return even to
the point that we're currently considering to discontinue professional
open source as one of our business models. The only reason why we
haven't done that till this point is because we love open source, and
are very grateful to it as well. So before you get me wrong, I'd like
to say we were well aware of all of this before we decided to open
source passenger instead of sticking a commercial license to it (for
what it's worth, we'd do it again in a heartbeat :-) ). It has opened
many doors for us that would very likely have remained closed to us
otherwise, and for the larger part, we have the nice things people
said about passenger to thank for that! So you probably may not
realize this, but your testimonials are worth gold to us (almost
literally). So keep 'em coming guys :-)

Cheers,
Ninh

Ivan el Magnifico

Sep 25, 2008, 2:14:42 PM9/25/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
eduportal.com.mx on a 1GB SliceHost VPS.

It wasn't that easy to get it to run smoothly, but now I'm very
happy :)

On Sep 24, 3:55 pm, Ninh Bui <ninh....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm actually really interested in seeing who is running passenger in
> production as well, seeing as we're currently building the new website
> for Phusion. If I'm not mistaken, parts of the NYTimes website are
> also powered by passenger: see the donation list as well to get an
> idea of who is running this in production. Needless to say, I'd love
> to list the sites who are currently running passenger in production so
> be sure to drop me a note if you want to be listed there as well :-)
>
> @Jesse:
> Ah, didn't know the guys from MTV were also using passenger nowadays
> as well. Could I interest you in giving us a testimonial on your
> experiences with passenger? :)
>
> Cheers,
> Ninh
>
> On Sep 24, 10:28 pm, Jesse Proudman <jesse.proudman-
>
> li...@blueboxgrp.com> wrote:
> > We're using it in production onhttp://style.mtv.comwithno problems.

Tobias Lütke

Sep 25, 2008, 2:59:59 PM9/25/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Shopify runs passenger and enterprise ruby in production.

In peak we run 50 rails processes for the software spread over many
servers.
It has been rock solid and saves us a good 30% memory compared to
traditional mongrel setup .

Shinji Kuwayama

Sep 25, 2008, 4:41:10 PM9/25/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
http://www.lightstalkers.org is running well on Passenger, and that's
dealing with a lot of large file uploads. It definitely took some
trial-and-error to find the sweet spot, but less so than previous
Apache-Mongrel schemes.

Chris Prakoso

Sep 26, 2008, 5:40:09 AM9/26/08
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
Check out these sites of mine:

plurkerati.com
plurl.me

They have been running since July, with no problem.
I also use the Ruby Enterprise.

Chris

Aron Pilhofer

Sep 26, 2008, 9:00:07 AM9/26/08
On Sep 24, 4:55 pm, Ninh Bui <ninh....@gmail.com> wrote:
>If I'm not mistaken, parts of the NYTimes website are
> also powered by passenger:

That is correct. We have been using Passenger in production
applications for a while now. Our elections guide is passenger on EC2:
http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/index.html and we are in the process
of switching over a number of our other apps as well.

Ninh Bui

oyiptong

Sep 26, 2008, 10:18:54 AM9/26/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
http://www.socialpicks.com has been using Passenger in production
happily since 2.0.1

We use it on multiple applications. It certainly beats mongrel+monit,
good job guys!

On Sep 26, 9:46 am, "Ninh Bui" <n...@phusion.nl> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Aron Pilhofer <aronpilho...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > On Sep 24, 4:55 pm, Ninh Bui <ninh....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >If I'm not mistaken, parts of the NYTimes website are
> > > also powered by passenger:
>
> > That is correct. We have been using Passenger in production
> > applications for a while now. Our elections guide is passenger on EC2:
> >http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/index.htmland we are in the process
> > of switching over a number of our other apps as well.
>
> Ok, I'd definitely like to do a case study on your situation if that's okay
> with you guys :-D
>
> --
> Phusion | The Computer Science Company
>
> Web:http://www.phusion.nl/
> E-mail: i...@phusion.nl

nextpulse

Sep 26, 2008, 11:15:28 AM9/26/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
MyDogSpace.com is using passenger also. After various issues with
mongrel - we moved to passenger and enterprise ruby - and have not had
any real issues since.

Jeffrey Lee

Sep 26, 2008, 11:53:20 AM9/26/08
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
We're running Passenger in production for some internal use apps at my company and it works extremely well. I have absolutely zero complaints when putting Passenger on the servers here or with the performance. Granted, our load is far lower than most but so is the development staff! Having Passenger set itself up the way it does frees up so much more of my time.

On my own servers, which run CentOS and have cPanel installed, I have not been able to successfully launch Passenger. I am certainly sure that when I have the time to dive into the problem or ask for help, it will be worked out quickly. cPanel has built-in support for Mongrel but I want the speed of Passenger!

- Jeff

stephenjudkins

Sep 26, 2008, 3:45:04 PM9/26/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
We just switched over to Passenger from Mongrel on production. So
far, it seems to be working great. Our site gets 10+ million page
views a day.

Mongrel was nightmare to stabilize and tweak for us. While passenger
has required some effort (and we're seeing some weird things pop up
right now) to get running right, the amount of effort we've invested
in it so far pales in comparison to what we had to do to keep Mongrel
up and running.

We haven't seen any significant change in performance.

Chris Prakoso

Sep 27, 2008, 1:07:57 PM9/27/08
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
Stephen, care to share the link ?

Chris

subimage

Oct 1, 2008, 1:05:20 AM10/1/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I'm using it for...

http://www.getcashboard.com (and the app)

;)

jimmy

Oct 1, 2008, 4:56:49 AM10/1/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Hi,

We have just migrated to using phusion passenger after using apache2-
>lighttpd via proxy and fastcgi process mgmt. The old system worked
but was a real hassle with ports and proxy etc. Phusion from the word
go on our new server has been flawless from day 1. We have well over
20 rails sites in production alongside hundreds of PHP sites and are
really happy with the memory handling abilities of phusion because the
rails apps just use so much memory!

Our basic server specs are debian etch 64bit
8GB memory
quad core core2 proc (45nm version)

We get virtually 0 load of the server at present, its stupidly
overspec which is a good thing for our expansion, but the ruby
enterprise really helps alot.

Dok - RockCast Italia

Oct 2, 2008, 1:26:41 PM10/2/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Gunp.it is running on Passenger since day 1!!

Arlen

Oct 11, 2008, 6:33:33 PM10/11/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Been using it in production for external and internal sites since
release - at first some memory issues were bugging the whole thing,
but they disappeared in later versions and now it's smooth sailing. :)

Arlen

warnis

Oct 12, 2008, 2:30:23 PM10/12/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
At the company I work we're using passenger to run our product
Castability (which is basically a corporate youtube with the ability
to create dynamic forms and advanced statistics etc) [castability.se].
We're running a Ubuntu 8.04 setup hosted by slicehost. So far
everything has worked as a charm. The only problems I've had is to
find an adequate plugin for running background jobs (that doesn't
depend on a deamon that consumer 150+ megs of ram). The best solution
I've found is to use the spawn plugin. Using we've had some problems
with not getting forwarded correctly from actions that fork off
another process (you don't get forwarded until the child process is
finished, even though the logs tell me the action is completed), but
I'm not sure whether that's passengers fault or not.

Travis Bell

Oct 12, 2008, 7:05:46 PM10/12/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Hey Levi,

I'm using Passenger in production on TMDb (http://www.themoviedb.org/)
with great success. I migrated this site from LiteSpeed (who I adore)
but needed some Apache configs not available in LiteSpeed.

My experiences with Passenger have been great. Install was a breeze
and running the app has been completely painless. I am running
Passenger on a dedicated box so some of the restraints with a VPS or
shared host haven't been a factor for me.

It seems to handle the load very admirably as well, just a FYI.

Hope that helps.

--
Travis Bell

Roderick van Domburg

Oct 31, 2008, 1:11:13 PM10/31/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
We're using it at http://www.railscluster.nl and it's holding out
great. Also really looking forward to 2.1 and its PoolIdleTime 0 and
RAM protection features!

Kind regards,

Roderick

niko

Nov 2, 2008, 1:05:44 PM11/2/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
We're using Passenger on 2 XEN V-servers (on different phys.
machines), 1.3GB RAM each behind a seperate V-server with nginx.
We're not on Enterprise Ruby yet, but planing to do so. The pool size
is 10 which seems to be a little bit conservative and we're hoping to
increase to 15 with Enterprise Ruby. Sometimes (about once a week) we
observe hanging workers. We're still investigating. Other than that
everything seems fine.

l1ngu4

Nov 6, 2008, 10:45:18 AM11/6/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
We're using it in production on http://servicedb.pieris.it/,
http://www.scuola.crs.lombardia.it/ and we're planning to publish more
new sites for our customers, a couple of which are big traffic sties.

Ciao.
-- fabio

Harm Aarts

Nov 11, 2008, 8:02:10 AM11/11/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
We are using it in production (http://delaagsterekening.nl) on a 1GB
memory, T2450. Also http://fagron.nl is running on Passenger. A lot
less pain than mongrels!

On Nov 6, 4:45 pm, l1ngu4 <fabio.inguaggi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We're using it in production onhttp://servicedb.pieris.it/,http://www.scuola.crs.lombardia.it/and we're planning to publish more

sheuer

Nov 11, 2008, 9:50:25 PM11/11/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
We use passenger on our production servers. We have been using it
since mid spring.

Before passenger we used NGINX and Thin, and about 6 months before
that we stopped using Pound and Mongrel.

We currently have 5 font end servers running X86_64 Gentoo Linux on
virtual private servers over at Slicehost and 2 Apple Xserves that are
hosted on site for our customers.

Our product page hasn't been updated in a long while, but you can get
the general point: http://aruxsoftware.com

- Stephen Heuer

SergioBayona

Nov 13, 2008, 7:30:54 PM11/13/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
We've been using Passenger Phusion and Rails to power the Carls Jr.
http://www.carlsjr.com/ and Hardees http://www.hardees.com/ can't post
exact traffic numbers but I can says daily paviews are in the 6
digits.

Thanks for your excellent work Ninh and Hongli.

Sergio B.
Martian Interactive
http://www.martianinteractive.com/

David Smalley

Nov 14, 2008, 5:30:05 PM11/14/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
We've just started moving Litmus (http://litmusapp.com) over to
passenger. So far I've dropped one apache+passenger server into the
app server pool with 3 other nginx+mongrel servers, performance is so
good that I've actually weighted the passenger server higher than the
mongrel servers in the load balancer.

It's just a shame that mod_rails is an Apache module :) I've gotta
say, I do love nginx for reliability, memory usage and beauty of the
configuration syntax. When can we expect a version that works as an
nginx module - I'll tip you $50 if you do it ;)

Awesome work though - the day when I can liberate myself from monit is
near.

David
--
Litmus: Painless web site and email testing
http://litmusapp.com

Kennon Ballou

Nov 17, 2008, 8:07:12 AM11/17/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
We're running Passenger for http://www.{brush,vect,flash,fresh}eezy.com
on a single server (DB included) and several hundred thousand requests
a day. We've had no problems whatsoever with Passenger, but tried REE
a few times and although definitely being faster with smaller memory
footprint, processes would occasionally peg to 100% CPU until being
restarted and I couldn't figure out why (most likely had something to
do with a plugin, but didn't have the developer time to track it
down).

The simplicity of handling a handful of sites without having to deal
with 3828234 mongrel processes is amazing.

Kennon Ballou

RicRoberts

Nov 19, 2008, 9:51:22 AM11/19/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
At http://www.swirrl.com, we're now running our blog and forums on
Passenger with Ruby Enterprise, and planning on swapping over our main
site soon (which currently using Apache + Mongrel Cluster).

Passenger + REE seems to use a bit less memory and is a lot easier to
deploy.

On Nov 17, 1:07 pm, Kennon Ballou <ken...@angryturnip.com> wrote:
> We're running Passenger forhttp://www.{brush,vect,flash,fresh}eezy.com

anotherjesse

Dec 17, 2008, 4:33:05 PM12/17/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I just ported http://userscripts.org over to using Passenger -
http://userscripts.org/topics/19120

Since Rails 2.1 I have been experiencing random deaths of mongrels
(working great for days then all of a sudden one of them starts
throwing LoadErrors) and have been building crazy monit scripts to try
to kill them as fast as possible when it happens...

I was running Nginx -> HaProxy -> Mongrel(s)

I'm using many of the advanced features of Nginx for caching/upload/
download so I replaced haproxy/mongrel with apache (running on a high
port) and have the standard nginx proxy to apache if it needs to make
a dynamic request.

Great work!
Jesse