Passenger 3.0.0 won't start

jamieorc

Oct 18, 2010, 11:56:47 AM10/18/10
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
On a deploy to Ubuntu with Moonshine this morning, Passenger was
automatically upgraded to 3.0.0. Since then, I can't get Passenger to
start. Apache's error log shows:

*** Passenger could not be initialized because of this error: Unable
to start the Phusion Passenger watchdog because it encountered the
following error during startup: Unable to start the Phusion Passenger
logging agent because exec("/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
passenger-3.0.0/agents/PassengerLoggingAgent") failed: No such file or
directory (2)

When I look for that file, it is indeed not there. Only
PassengerWatchdog and apche/HelperAgent exist in the agents dir.

Jamie

Hongli Lai

Oct 18, 2010, 12:01:47 PM10/18/10
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com

Try re-running passenger-install-apache2-module. Watch its compilation
output. Does it mention anywhere that it's compiling the logging
agent?

--
Phusion | The Computer Science Company

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 08173483 (The Netherlands)

Bjørn Arild Mæland

Oct 21, 2010, 9:16:46 AM10/21/10
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Ran into the same problem on OSX using "passenger start". No errors
during the installation process until the "PassengerLoggingAgent not
found" error shows up. However, running "passenger package-runtime"
worked just fine so I just copied the resulting support.tar.gz into
the ~/.passenger support folder and unpacked it. This workaround
worked fine for me.

-Bjørn

On 18 Okt, 18:01, Hongli Lai <hon...@phusion.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 5:56 PM, jamieorc <jamie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On a deploy to Ubuntu with Moonshine this morning, Passenger was
> > automatically upgraded to 3.0.0. Since then, I can't get Passenger to
> > start. Apache's error log shows:
>
> >  *** Passenger could not be initialized because of this error: Unable
> > to start the Phusion Passenger watchdog because it encountered the
> > following error during startup: Unable to start the Phusion Passenger
> > logging agent because exec("/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
> > passenger-3.0.0/agents/PassengerLoggingAgent") failed: No such file or
> > directory (2)
>
> > When I look for that file, it is indeed not there. Only
> > PassengerWatchdog and apche/HelperAgent exist in the agents dir.
>
> Try re-running passenger-install-apache2-module. Watch its compilation
> output. Does it mention anywhere that it's compiling the logging
> agent?
>
> --
> Phusion | The Computer Science Company
>
> Web:http://www.phusion.nl/
> E-mail: i...@phusion.nl

James Mak

Oct 23, 2010, 9:27:17 PM10/23/10
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Yup. Same problem with a 'gem install' version of passenger 3.0.0.

I manually compiled nginx 0.8.53 with --add-module option. Didn't
notice any error but only found out Passenger not running from nginx
error.log, that the PassengerLoggingAgent is missing.

Bjørn 's workaround helped. Apparently the standalone passenger has
the PassengerLoggingAgent inside <support.tar.gz>/agents directory,
which did not exist in my gem installed version. Manually copied that
one file to my <passenger-root>/agents fixed the problem.

james

On Oct 21, 6:16 am, Bjørn Arild Mæland <bjorn.mael...@gmail.com>