Can't install passenger + nginx on RedHat

Kyle Fox

Nov 29, 2010, 1:17:23 PM11/29/10
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I encounter an error running passenger-install-nginx-module and
selecting the first option( download, compile and install Nginx for
me):

When it checks for required software it says the C compiler is found:

* GNU C++ compiler... found at /usr/bin/g++

(screenshot: http://d.pr/mFgd)

But when it attempts to run `'./configure ...` I get the following
results:

checking for C compiler ... found but is not working
./configure: error: C compiler gcc is not found

(screenshot: http://d.pr/3tZH)

Both g++ and gcc are installed (version 4.1.2).

I have no idea what to try next. Is my g++/gcc misconfigured? Any
help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Kyle Fox

Nov 29, 2010, 1:27:51 PM11/29/10
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I should mention that I've already tried re-installing g++ and gcc

Curtis j Schofield

Nov 29, 2010, 1:36:06 PM11/29/10
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
can you run

ldd `which g++`
ldd `which gcc`

and paste the output?

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Kyle Fox <kyle...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I should mention that I've already tried re-installing g++ and gcc
>

> --

make haste slowly \
festina lente  \

Kyle Fox

Nov 29, 2010, 2:00:21 PM11/29/10
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Sure thing:

root@230956-web5 /usr/local/nginx: ldd `which g++`
linux-gate.so.1 => (0x007ca000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x0027d000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x0025e000)
root@230956-web5 /usr/local/nginx: ldd `which gcc`
linux-gate.so.1 => (0x00228000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x0027d000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x0025e000)

I just tried compiling nginx manually and it worked fine. I haven't
yet verified that Passenger is working, but at least it compiled ...

By the way: hi Curtis!

On Nov 29, 11:36 am, Curtis j Schofield <curtis.schofi...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> can you run
>
> ldd `which g++`
> ldd `which gcc`
>
> and paste the output?
>
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Kyle Fox <kyle....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I should mention that I've already tried re-installing g++ and gcc

Curtis j Schofield

Nov 29, 2010, 2:59:45 PM11/29/10
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Kyle!!

:D

-- well that looks sorta normal

you just compiled nginx with the passenger module?

Kyle Fox

Nov 29, 2010, 3:11:17 PM11/29/10
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Yes, using --add-module and it worked fine.

On Nov 29, 12:59 pm, Curtis j Schofield <curtis.schofi...@gmail.com>

Curtis j Schofield

Nov 29, 2010, 3:34:46 PM11/29/10
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
good work kyle - must be something sketch with redhat.

Hongli Lai

Nov 29, 2010, 5:50:14 PM11/29/10
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
I think this happens if your /tmp is mounted with noexec. We extract
the Nginx source code in /tmp and run the configure script there. The
configure script tries to check for compiler features by creating temp
source files in the same directory, compiling them to executables and
running those executables.

--
Phusion | The Computer Science Company

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 08173483 (The Netherlands)