Using Zero Downtime in passenger 3

Curtis Schofield

Nov 17, 2010, 2:52:42 PM11/17/10
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I touch tmp/restart.txt
and the server goes down for a moment.

is there a signal that i need to send to one of the passenger
processes to do a zero-downtime restart?

Hongli Lai

Nov 17, 2010, 6:17:41 PM11/17/10
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com

Not right now, but rolling restarts will be provided in a premium
version of Phusion Passenger in the near future.

--
Phusion | The Computer Science Company

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 08173483 (The Netherlands)

Curtis j Schofield

Nov 17, 2010, 7:06:24 PM11/17/10
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Hongli Lai <hon...@phusion.nl> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Curtis Schofield
> <curtis.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I touch tmp/restart.txt
>> and the server goes down for a moment.
>>
>> is there a signal that i need to send to one of the passenger
>> processes to do a zero-downtime restart?
>
> Not right now, but rolling restarts will be provided in a premium
> version of Phusion Passenger in the near future.

What does 'premium' mean?

--
make haste slowly \
festina lente  \

Hongli Lai

Nov 17, 2010, 7:15:51 PM11/17/10
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 1:06 AM, Curtis j Schofield
<curtis.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What does 'premium' mean?

Premium means that we charge for it. The premium version is based on
the open source version and provides extra features that will greatly
aid in production environments. By charging for a premium version, it
allows us to continue developing both the open source and the premium
version. We do not, however, plan on discontinuing the open source
version, the premium version will live alongside the open source one.

Curtis j Schofield

Nov 17, 2010, 7:21:31 PM11/17/10
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Hongli Lai <hon...@phusion.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 1:06 AM, Curtis j Schofield
> <curtis.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What does 'premium' mean?
>
> Premium means that we charge for it. The premium version is based on
> the open source version and provides extra features that will greatly
> aid in production environments. By charging for a premium version, it
> allows us to continue developing both the open source and the premium
> version. We do not, however, plan on discontinuing the open source
> version, the premium version will live alongside the open source one.

I am glad to hear that you are going to be able to continue development
and i do think you have a product worth selling support and consulting for
and if you want to charge for licensing and think that will work - great for
you.

Do you have a time frame for the premium version?

Hongli Lai

Nov 18, 2010, 2:00:24 PM11/18/10
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 1:21 AM, Curtis j Schofield
<curtis.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am glad to hear that you are going to be able to continue development
> and i do think you have a product worth selling support and consulting for
> and if you want to charge for licensing and think that will work - great for
> you.
>
> Do you have a time frame for the premium version?

We are committed to releasing products only when we deem them rock
solid and production ready, not only code-wise but also
documentation-wise. We've applied this strategy to all our Phusion
Passenger releases so far. It is for this reason that we cannot
provide a specific release date and that we ask for one's patience.
That said, as a rough estimate we expect to be able to show something
by Q1 2011.

Curtis j Schofield

Nov 18, 2010, 3:26:53 PM11/18/10
On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Hongli Lai <hon...@phusion.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 1:21 AM, Curtis j Schofield
> <curtis.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am glad to hear that you are going to be able to continue development
>> and i do think you have a product worth selling support and consulting for
>> and if you want to charge for licensing and think that will work - great for
>> you.
>>
>> Do you have a time frame for the premium version?
>
> We are committed to releasing products only when we deem them rock
> solid and production ready, not only code-wise but also
> documentation-wise. We've applied this strategy to all our Phusion
> Passenger releases so far. It is for this reason that we cannot
> provide a specific release date and that we ask for one's patience.
> That said, as a rough estimate we expect to be able to show something
> by Q1 2011.

Good policy to have.

Thank you - I will let our team know.