Version 1.22 of the WebMud derivative is out

J Fitz

Apr 18, 2010, 2:19:30 PM4/18/10
to PHudBase Developers
Just a quick note to say that a) I'm back and b) there's a new release
of PHudBase-WebMud with one minor but major (heh) change -- there was
a problem with my server continuing to buffer data from the game when
there wasn't any more coming (no end of line or IAC GA sent by the MUD
and nothing else expected).

Hope everyone's still having fun!

- John

bman

Apr 30, 2010, 6:16:01 PM4/30/10
to PHudBase Developers
John,
Tried out the demo on your site and it works fine with our mud, but i
am having a problem getting the GREEN lights on my copy.
All I did was extract it to / on duuit.com and change 127.0.0.1 to
duuit.com in both wm_server/server.php and wm_client/js/client.js
so it should work from http://duuit.com/phudbase-wm/wm_client/
I am leaving the server running with php -q server.php if you would
like to take a look.
Thanks,
Ben

J Fitz

May 1, 2010, 3:34:25 PM5/1/10
to PHudBase Developers
Ben,
Glad the demo's working for you now!

At first glance, what occurs to me is that you may not have opened the
port (default is 12345) to the outside world. You should be able to
check "iptables -L" on a linux-based system to see whether it is or
not. If not, the file I edit on debian/ubuntu is in /etc/default/
iptables, and the lines I added look like this:
-A INPUT -p tcp --dport 12345 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p udp --dport 12345 -j ACCEPT

After saving, I issue this:
/etc/init.d/networking restart

And you SHOULD be good to go -- if not, we'll continue from there.
Let me know if this helps or you can confirm that it's already done.

- John

On Apr 30, 5:16 pm, bman <bman.hw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> John,
> Tried out the demo on your site and it works fine with our mud, but i
> am having a problem getting the GREEN lights on my copy.
> All I did was extract it to / on duuit.com and change 127.0.0.1 to
> duuit.com in both wm_server/server.php and wm_client/js/client.js
> so it should work fromhttp://duuit.com/phudbase-wm/wm_client/

bman

May 1, 2010, 9:26:08 PM5/1/10
to PHudBase Developers
John,
That had no effect, and I am using the webmud so its port 12346 but i
enabled both and still no change or green light.
What next?
Thanks
Ben

bman

May 1, 2010, 9:29:23 PM5/1/10
to PHudBase Developers
Attempting to bind to port 12346...
Socket server started at address duuit.com on port 12346
that was displayed just to be sure.

J Fitz

May 6, 2010, 2:10:22 PM5/6/10
to PHudBase Developers
Ben,
When you start the server and try to connect from the webpage, do you
get any kind of message in the output for the server (after the
"Socket server started at..." line)?

Should look something like this:
Client 0 connected. <--- You should get this either way if the client
can see you
Good handshake for client [0] <---- This is if the client connects
successfully

Let me know and we'll go from there.

- John

Benjamin Graham

May 11, 2010, 9:41:47 PM5/11/10
to phudbase-...@googlegroups.com
If the host is duuit.com the port is default and the install is at http://duuit.com/phudbase/
then the line should just be this?

        define("HOST", "duuit.com");
        define("PORT", "12346");
        define("WS_RESOURCE", "/phudbase/wm_server/server.php");
        define("WS_HOST", "duuit.com:12346");
        define("WS_ORIGIN", "http://duuit.com");

Attempting to bind to port 12346...
Socket server started at address duuit.com on port 12346

These are the settings I currently have setup and I am not able to get PHudBase Connection to go green by connecting to this url:
and I see no messages on the console.

Thanks,
Ben

J Fitz

May 11, 2010, 10:03:57 PM5/11/10
to PHudBase Developers
Ben,
Assuming the server is still running, I can't see that port as open.
I'm not entirely certain how to help -- sys administration isn't my
forte' (not that I actually have a forte'...).

If it isn't still running, well, that explains why I can't get to it.
Since you're not seeing ANY kind of message on the console when a
client tries to connect, I'm still inclined to think that the outside
world just can't see the port to get to the server.

If you can get to another terminal ON the server, try telneting in to
both 127.0.0.1 and duuit.com on port 12346 -- if you can get to the
webmud server from the system it's running on, the port isn't exposed
to the outside world.

Given the info you've provided, I don't know why it wouldn't be at
this point -- I'd ask around the community around your distribution/
server environment (my home server is Ubuntu and my outside host is
Debian, so the configuration was fairly straightforward and similar
for me on both boxes...).

Good luck!

- John

On May 11, 8:41 pm, Benjamin Graham <bman.hw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> var wshost = "ws://127.0.0.1:12346/phudbase/wm_server/server.php";
> If the host is duuit.com the port is default and the install is athttp://duuit.com/phudbase/

Benjamin Graham

May 12, 2010, 1:46:50 PM5/12/10
to phudbase-...@googlegroups.com
John,

Yes I just use Debian stable on my server.  When I try to telnet:
Trying 0.0.0.0...
imrryr:/var/www/duuit/html/phudbase-wm/wm_client# telnet localhost 12346
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Trying ::1...
imrryr:/var/www/duuit/html/phudbase-wm/wm_client# telnet 127.0.0.1 12346
Trying 127.0.0.1...
imrryr:/var/www/duuit/html/phudbase-wm/wm_client# telnet 127.0.1.1 12346
Trying 127.0.1.1...
Client 0 connected.
Connected to 127.0.1.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
telnet> q
Connection closed.
imrryr:/var/www/duuit/html/phudbase-wm/wm_client# Disconnecting 0: bad read.
telnet duuit.com
Trying 127.0.1.1...

So even though i specify duuit.com it seems to only be listening on 127.0.1.1 the ip not the host (this is a virtualized server with more than one IP and hostname)

ALSO: Do you think this could be modified to work with telnet style bbs's as well?
I have one at telnet://exarch.org that I would like to use phudbase with as well.  Currently it uses a modified telnetd but I would like to totally replace that with phudbase.

Thanks much,
Ben