[PHP] found a bug with File Uploads..

Dhaval Desai

Feb 28, 2001, 6:48:59 AM2/28/01
Hi!

I think I just found a bug in php.

I try to upload a file of size 37.0 K and you know
what happens.,,

The browser takes its own time..and the stupid thing
doesnot upload the file.

If I upload a file of size 2k then it uploads..

I have specified the file size in the form as :

<FORM ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data"
ACTION="upload.php" METHOD="POST">
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" name="MAX_FILE_SIZE"
value="100000">

In Php.ini file I have found 8M is the maximum size..

I am running php 4.0.3pl1 wioth Apache on Windows 98.
I also have a server on Cqhost.com

I have seen the same happen there,.too...

Is this a bug or a problem..??

Please Reply

Cheers!~
Dhaval Desai

TTT

Feb 28, 2001, 12:43:57 PM2/28/01
Hi ,
in fact it doesn't do much ( at least on the couple browser I tested it) :
whatever you put as a limit the file will upload ...
this is a p.. in the a... because if you do the check on the server it can
only be done when the upload is complete : pretty unfair to tell the user
that he has no more space when he spent 20 minutes uploading a file ( we use
audio files and they might be fairly big)

but apart from that I recently upgraded to 4.04pl1 and I have the same
problem (which didn't happen before) that is described by Dhaval , running
on Linux (RHT 7.0 with plenty'o patch ... , Apache 1.3.14) ...

changing the max file size doesn't do much :-(

the uploaded file seems to have 'type multipart...' and other junk caracters
added at the beginning of the file after the copy (which returns a success
error code !!!)

it seems to be a bug in 4.04pl1

help ....

--
Thierry TABARD
Digital Sound Planet
""Chris Lee"" <l...@mediawaveonline.com> wrote in message
> try droping the max_file_size entry, does it help? I run on linux and my
file uploads work from all browsers but opera.

> <input type=hidden name='MAX_FILE_SIZE' value='100000'>
>
> is a silly thing php has added, the only purpose I could ever see for this
is to prevent people from uploading 3G files, but if this is the case,
should the security not be server side, vs client side? as you mentioned,
modify php.ini to change your limit. does anyone know another use for this ?

> --
>
> Chris Lee
> Mediawaveonline.com
>
> ph. 250.377.1095
> ph. 250.376.2690
> fx. 250.554.1120
>
> l...@mediawaveonline.com
>

> "Dhaval Desai" <dhaval...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

TTT

Mar 1, 2001, 12:26:17 PM3/1/01
I found a workaround in
http://bugs.php.net/bugs.php?id=9298&edit=2

hope that helps.

--
Thierry TABARD
Digital Sound Planet
http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com

""TTT"" <thierry...@digitalsoundplanet.com> wrote in message

TTT

Mar 1, 2001, 7:10:00 AM3/1/01
after hunting a little more it appears that apache adds a 'content-type:
blabla" at the start of the file.
Php just copies the already corrupted file ...

any clues on how to fix that ?