Camera example tested on WP7 Mango (HTC Mozart) and Android 2.3.3 (LG Optimus 1)

Manuel

Jan 18, 2012, 5:16:59 AM1/18/12
to phonegap
Hi all, I'm scouting mobile frameworks and tecnology to decide which
way to follow, and my top list is PhoneGap.
For that reason I've tryed to first retrieve GPS position over all the
tree most common platform (A, iOS, WP), and in the second test I've
tryed to capture an image to show it inside a box.

I've got first that esample (Full example code)
http://docs.phonegap.com/en/1.3.0/phonegap_camera_camera.md.html#Camera,
and the result is that:

iOS: not tested jet

A: I can capture the picture using capturePhoto(), but when i close
the camera (touching on the attach symbol) often the test app will be
closed and i return to the home, if i try some times, it works. I've
seen that if i wait a bit before to close the camera, the app after a
black screen is opened again, if i don't wait and i push quickly on
the attach i neither see my app before to be sent to home.
There the log i had on eclipse after came back to the app
01-18 10:51:26.579: V/http(3009): <!>android.net.http.HttpLog 41<!>
919798 http3 httpFailure() *******
org.apache.http.NoHttpResponseException: The target server failed to
respond count 0 http://127.0.0.1:41516 /92901cd1-876a-4f53-b47c-
fbd3326e55ff

WP7: The botton are shown really small on top of the screen, but the
real problem is that nothing is working. If i try to select a picture
fron the library or album nothing append, if i try to get a picture
the screen become dark for a wile and i came back to the app view.

I think I'm missing something, the JS path is right, I don't know what
else to do. In that conditions is hard for me decide to use something
that so much problems, I hope would reconsider that opinion.

Thanks for help

Chip

Jan 19, 2012, 12:14:08 PM1/19/12
to phonegap
Unfortunately, the PhoneGap Camera API for Android is very unstable.
I've tried installing the latest builds that contain some fixes and
the Camera still crashes the app on a Droid. Here are reports from
other folks experiencing these issues:

https://groups.google.com/group/phonegap/browse_thread/thread/e084fb0fffb3f4bf#
https://groups.google.com/group/phonegap/browse_thread/thread/b0029e0ced980c8f#
https://github.com/callback/phonegap/issues/5
https://github.com/callback/callback-android/issues/31
https://groups.google.com/group/phonegap/browse_thread/thread/beaa5a9bc1f35038
https://groups.google.com/group/phonegap/browse_thread/thread/185c2fd8eb6270ac
https://groups.google.com/group/phonegap/browse_thread/thread/1174e85918251e78/435988ab09f9a16e

Hopefully, the problems with get resolved soon, as it would currently
be very risky to deploy a PhoneGap Android app that uses the Camera.

--chip

On Jan 18, 5:16 am, Manuel <manuel.salvat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, I'm scouting mobile frameworks and tecnology to decide which
> way to follow, and my top list is PhoneGap.
> For that reason I've tryed to first retrieve GPS position over all the
> tree most common platform (A, iOS, WP), and in the second test I've
> tryed to capture an image to show it inside a box.
>
> I've got first that esample (Full example code)http://docs.phonegap.com/en/1.3.0/phonegap_camera_camera.md.html#Camera,

Manuel

Jan 20, 2012, 3:50:46 AM1/20/12
to phonegap
Thank you Chip, I was wondering if I did something wrong, in the
example's page there aren't any indication about the issues you
reported, that's not appreciable.
I'll keep the framework under control but at the moment I'll prepare
my self to build native applications.

Thanks
Manuel