PhoneGap and Flash 10.1 content on Android

Raju Bitter

Jul 29, 2010, 4:33:42 AM7/29/10
to phonegap
Will PhoneGap officially support embedding of Flash content into the
app's WebView? I've tested embedding an SWF into a PhoneGap, and it
works without any problems. For full support of Flash content there
should probably be a boolean switch to activate plugins through the
WebSettings.

In DroidGap#onCreate we'd have to add a line to activate plugins:

WebSettings settings = appView.getSettings();
settings.setPluginState(PluginState.ON); // Turn Flash plugin on

PluginState can be set to OFF, ON and ON_DEMAND (you'll see an icon
instead of the plugin content, which you have to tap to display the
content).

- Raju

Jesse MacFadyen

Jul 29, 2010, 6:00:32 AM7/29/10
to Raju Bitter, phonegap
Phonegap will not unless apple allows flash. Plugins to the rescue.

Sent from my iPhone

> --
>
> For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com

Raju Bitter

Jul 29, 2010, 6:15:50 AM7/29/10
to Jesse MacFadyen, phonegap
Thanks, Jesse.

Raju Bitter

Jul 29, 2010, 6:43:01 AM7/29/10
to Jesse MacFadyen, phonegap
I believe it would make sense to make it easy for developers to use Flash
content within PhoneGap Android apps. It wouldn't hurt PoneGap to add a
boolean value to the DroidGap class. Something like

boolean pluginsEnabled = false;

In the generated application class any developer could overwrite that value
with "true" to enable plugins. If you don't do that, anyone planning to use
SWF content on Android would have to modify the DroidGap class or fork
PhoneGap to be able use Flash. HTML5 video playback is still not supported
in Android 2.2, I believe. That means, you can play back video on iOS within
a PhoneGap app, but can't do that on Android.

Just some thoughts...

Am 7/29/10 12:15 PM schrieb "Raju Bitter" unter

Matthew David

Jul 29, 2010, 9:31:13 AM7/29/10
to Raju Bitter, Jesse MacFadyen, phonegap
The best solution is to create a plugin for PhoneGap.

Matthew David
Make IT Happen
P: (920) 389-1212
E: mda...@matthewdavid.ws
B: Web 3.0 Blog
L: Linked In

Raju Bitter

Jul 29, 2010, 10:01:11 AM7/29/10
to Matthew David, Jesse MacFadyen, phonegap
Thanks, Matthew. I've found this information on PhoneGap plugins:
http://wiki.github.com/purplecabbage/PhoneGap-Plugins/

Do you know a good example of Android plugin, or a plugin template?

- Raju

Dave Johnson

Jul 30, 2010, 8:04:56 PM7/30/10
to Raju Bitter, Jesse MacFadyen, phonegap, Matthew David

Android plugins are not quite ready. Maybe next week though. Check out get github.com/davejohnson/phonegap-android in the plugins branch. Look at the command interface (Command.java) and the command manager (CommandManager.java). I will have a sample up soon too.

Let me know what your use case is so that I can make sure things line up.

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Matthew David <matthe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The best solution...

Raju Bitter

Aug 7, 2010, 12:34:51 PM8/7/10
to da...@nitobi.com, Jesse MacFadyen, phonegap, Matthew David
Thanks a lot for your answer, Dave. I will look into it next week, and
keep you updated.