PhoneGap app rejected by Apple for using "private API"

markdionne

Mar 8, 2009, 12:38:33 PM3/8/09
to phonegap
I just got the following rejection from Apple, after six weeks of
waiting:

Upon review of your application, [name] cannot be posted to the App
Store due to the usage of private API. Usage of such non-public API,
as outlined in the iPhone SDK Agreement section 3.3.1, is prohibited:

"3.3.1 Applications may only use Published APIs in the manner
prescribed by Apple and must not use or call any unpublished or
private APIs. "

The PhoneGap API that is included in your application does not come
from apple and does not comply with the iPhone SDK Agreement section
3.3.1.

Regards,

iPhone Developer Program

Note that my app does not use any of the PhoneGap API calls such as
camera, GPS etc. I am just using PhoneGap as a stub to try to launch
my web app on the App Store. Also, I did not mention PhoneGap anywhere
in my application, so they must have figured out on their own that I
was using it.

Good luck...

Mark Dionne

Nathan Freitas

Mar 8, 2009, 12:42:18 PM3/8/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Can you tell us what your web app is? That might provide some clue to why they rejected it while other apps using PhoneGap have been accepted.

Otherwise, this could signal a shift in their approval policy that would not bode well for us.

markdionne

Mar 8, 2009, 12:49:52 PM3/8/09
to phonegap
It's a calorie and nutrition logger. See calorieminder.com

On Mar 8, 12:42 pm, Nathan Freitas <nathanfrei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you tell us what your web app is? That might provide some clue to why
> they rejected it while other apps using PhoneGap have been accepted.
>
> Otherwise, this could signal a shift in their approval policy that would not
> bode well for us.

Jeff McFadden

Mar 8, 2009, 12:55:06 PM3/8/09
to phonegap
One thing you might consider doing, if you don't have any other ideas,
is to comment out a bit of code (so that your final executable is
different from your currently submitted one - try some of the PG code
you aren't using) and resubmit to apple. Maybe on try #2 it'd just go
right though?

I'd be extremely surprised if they are trying to crack down on web-
only tech, there are dozens if not hundreds of apps that are web-only
at their core right now in the app store.

Bennie

Mar 8, 2009, 1:10:08 PM3/8/09
to phonegap
You've given me a stomach ache.

Big Loud Jeff

Mar 8, 2009, 1:14:37 PM3/8/09
to phonegap
Also, doesn't section 3.3.1 refer to APIs supplied by the Apple SDK?
PhoneGap is a framework based on Apple's SDK and doesn't use any
undocumented API calls. I have a feeling that whoever reviewed the app
misunderstood the output of whatever tools they use to analyze
submitted apps. Is there any way to escalate this and ask for a more
specific reason?

I have a phonegap based app in the store under review. I submitted it
a week ago. In my app I disabled the location based code. And only use
the sound and vibrate features. I will let you know what happens to my
app when I here something back from apple.

Jeff

Bennie

Mar 8, 2009, 1:18:29 PM3/8/09
to phonegap
"The PhoneGap API that is included in your application does not come
from apple and does not comply with the iPhone SDK Agreement section
3.3.1. "

That sounds like a deliberate decision to me.

Paul Prescod

Mar 8, 2009, 1:19:11 PM3/8/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com, phonegap
I don't interpret their complaint as "phonegap is private (I.e. non-
apple)" I interpret it as "phonegap uses Apple APIs that are supposed
to be used only by Apple engineers." Does anyone know if Phonegap uses
undocumented APIs? If so, are those APIs core to it's functionality or
related to some specific feature?

###This message was lovingly handcrafted on a phone-like device###

Brian LeRoux

Mar 8, 2009, 1:32:28 PM3/8/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
phonegap uses only apple public apis. phonegap does not use private apis.

With 11 apps already in the store I'm finding it hard to place the
blame on phonegap -- webuiview is a perfectly legit use of their tech
as described by their legalese. hundreds of apps use webuiview (in a
similar fashion to phonegaps use of it).

Resubmit and remain adamant you use no private apis.

Bennie

Mar 8, 2009, 1:33:04 PM3/8/09
to phonegap
Maybe Apple has decided that using Safari is using an undocumented
API.

On Mar 8, 10:19 am, Paul Prescod <pres...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't interpret their complaint as "phonegap is private (I.e. non-
> apple)" I interpret it as "phonegap uses Apple APIs that are supposed
> to be used only by Apple engineers." Does anyone know if Phonegap uses
> undocumented APIs? If so, are those APIs core to it's functionality or
> related to some specific feature?
>
> ###This message was lovingly handcrafted on a phone-like device###

Brian LeRoux

Mar 8, 2009, 1:34:51 PM3/8/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
simply: no. its very well documented!

Bennie

Mar 8, 2009, 3:22:34 PM3/8/09
to phonegap
Well, I agree. I'm just saying Apple may have decided to draw a line
in the sand. Perhaps they are worried that webapps do not have the
user interface of Objective-C apps.

I hope this is not the case.

I have a possible contract for an app coming next week. I would bid it
differently if it has to be Objective-C. If Apple is going to start
rejecting all JavaScript apps, I'd like to know that as soon as
possible. Worst case would be to do an app on contract for someone,
only to have it fail in the app store due to its using PhoneGap.

Apple needs to clarify this issue. Does anyone know whom would be the
correct contact to resolve this? Maybe one of those nice people in the
developer videos? :-)

On Mar 8, 10:34 am, Brian LeRoux <brian.ler...@nitobi.com> wrote:
> simply: no. its very well documented!

Paul Prescod

Mar 8, 2009, 3:30:32 PM3/8/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com, phon...@googlegroups.com
We don't have much data to go on, but my guess is that they are now
comparing app linkage points to a white list of documented APIs
probably using a script. A mistake in the whitelist could cause
miscategorization. Or they could have just hit the wrong button in
some automated response system.

Just as important as remaining adamant is asking for the SPECIFIC name
of the offending API. The current complaint is similar to saying that
the app ui has a swear word without saying what word is offensive. It
is unreasonably vague.

###This message was lovingly handcrafted on a phone-like device###

Paul Prescod

Mar 8, 2009, 3:41:32 PM3/8/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com, phonegap
If they are cracking down on phonegap-like libraries then I would be
very disturbed to see that they are doing so by ignoring the plain
meaning of their SDK agreement.

I hope it is a single confused employee.

###This message was lovingly handcrafted on a phone-like device###

Big Loud Jeff

Mar 8, 2009, 3:47:37 PM3/8/09
to phonegap
I think we are ok! I just received the following email from Apple!

Dear Big Loud Software,

The status for the following application has changed to Ready for
Sale.

Application Name: Timing!
Application Version Number: 1.0
Application SKU: XXXXX

To make changes to this application or any of its metadata, log in to
iTunes Connect and click the Manage Your Applications module.

If you have any questions regarding your application, click Contact
Us.

Sincerely,

The iTunes Store Team

Woohoo!

Jeff

Bennie

Mar 8, 2009, 4:35:16 PM3/8/09
to phonegap
What a relief. It would still be nice to get a clarification from
Apple.

markdionne

Mar 8, 2009, 5:47:16 PM3/8/09
to phonegap
I responded to Apple and asked them to name the specific offending
API, though it seems from the wording that their rejection is a bit
more general than that. I have asked for clarifications of rejections
in the past, and never received a response, so I don't have much
hope.

I'm curious. How does go about "remaining adamant" in the face of the
App Store???

Brock Whitten

Mar 8, 2009, 8:37:51 PM3/8/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
1) There are now 12 (that we know of) apps in the app store that use phonegap.

2) PhoneGap uses the documented Apple SDK.

there is no reason to believe that PhoneGap is causing this response. If you are still skeptical, walk through the API yourself. there are only about a dozen API calls total.

- brock

Bennie

Mar 8, 2009, 8:47:24 PM3/8/09
to phonegap
"3.3.2 An Application may not itself install or launch other
executable code by any means, including without limitation through the
use of a plug-in architecture, calling other frameworks, other APIs or
otherwise. No interpreted code may be downloaded and used in an
Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple's
Published APIs and built-in interpreter(s)."

Pretty gray. Is PhoneGap an API? Safari's JavaScript interpreter is
built-in, isn't it? So that sounds kosher to me.

This clause does kind of creep me out. Tons of games and engines use
interpreters.

On Mar 8, 5:37 pm, Brock Whitten <brock.whit...@nitobi.com> wrote:
> 1) There are now 12 (that we know of) apps in the app store that use
> phonegap.
>
> 2) PhoneGap uses the documented Apple SDK.
>
> there is no reason to believe that PhoneGap is causing this response. If you
> are still skeptical, walk through the API yourself. there are only about
> a dozen API calls total.
>
> - brock

markdionne

Mar 8, 2009, 11:25:44 PM3/8/09
to phonegap
Games and engines might use interpreters, but at least all the code is
embedded inside the app. The JavaScript code in a web app can be
changed on the server at any time. Perhaps Apple is worried that a web
app built on top of something like PhoneGap could be changed to do
some damage. Suppose PhoneGap had a (possibly hidden) general-purpose
API to the file system on the iPhone. Take this chain of thought to
the limit, and any web apps built on top of stubs like PhoneGap could
be prohibited by Apple, except perhaps using a stub provided by Apple
itself.

Giraldo Rosales

Mar 8, 2009, 11:39:56 PM3/8/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Is your app an online or offline app? Also are the approved PhoneGap apps offline or online?

-G

Storm Basiat

Mar 9, 2009, 4:49:29 AM3/9/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
If anyone finds out the issue please do let me know. I'm looking to make an app for my blog so clicking the link will load an app up with a safari if you get me.

2009/3/9 Giraldo Rosales <nit...@gmail.com>

--
Best Regards,
Storm Basiat

Email: st...@iStorm.tv
Telephone: +447882702472
Twitter: http://twitter.com/stormbasiat

ueilat

Mar 9, 2009, 8:12:31 AM3/9/09
to phonegap
all this thing can be used and seen in different point or views....
I perffectly understand the position of apple that wants to have all
software certificated to avoid problem, but if you think to phone gap
in online mode you know better than me that i can have an approval for
an pplication and then in JS changing on the web server I can publich
whatever I want. So the request of apple is out of time....
the only possibilities is to lock application in offline mode without
reading anything in the web.. but this is out of time....
so my view is that phonegap (even if I have an approved app) is out of
the clauses, but is impossible to develop something according to the
contreact clauses....
For example any applications (i.e. new york times) that publish news
from the main site, if there is a photo with a bared girl because is
part of the news, is against the main clause. This is crazy.....
we'll never finish this discussion.... The only solution is that Apple
certify developing company and the responsability in case of damage or
other is in charge of dev company... but the software can be developed
as anyone want

On Mar 9, 9:49 am, Storm Basiat <storm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If anyone finds out the issue please do let me know. I'm looking to make an
> app for my blog so clicking the link will load an app up with a safari if
> you get me.
>
> 2009/3/9 Giraldo Rosales <nitr...@gmail.com>
>

> > Is your app an online or offline app? Also are the approved PhoneGap apps
> > offline or online?
> > -G
>
> Twitter:http://twitter.com/stormbasiat- Hide quoted text -

rborn

Mar 9, 2009, 8:28:36 AM3/9/09
to phonegap
Change a line of code, and submit it again, maybe this time will be
other guy on the other end.
> > Twitter:http://twitter.com/stormbasiat-Hide quoted text -

ueilat

Mar 9, 2009, 12:10:00 PM3/9/09
to phonegap
I agree with rborn......
pay attention to all property in project, eliminating phonegap...
ecc......
> > > Twitter:http://twitter.com/stormbasiat-Hidequoted text -

markdionne

Mar 9, 2009, 12:15:25 PM3/9/09
to phonegap
Trying again with a trivial change might be an interesting experiment,
but since Apple has taken 5-6 weeks to send a rejection, it's not
practical.

Perhaps I will try deleting all the PhoneGap API code that I am not
using, leaving just the UIWebView, which is all I really need, and try
resubmitting.

markdionne

Mar 9, 2009, 12:18:28 PM3/9/09
to phonegap
1) Couldn't a web app using the current PhoneGap download all of a
user's contacts to the server?

2) I see that PhoneGap has an unimplemented class called File. Will
that be a security hole when implemented?
> > Twitter:http://twitter.com/stormbasiat-Hide quoted text -

Brian LeRoux

Mar 9, 2009, 1:18:29 PM3/9/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
> 1) Couldn't a web app using the current PhoneGap download all of a
> user's contacts to the server?

If you author code to do that, then yes, you could send contacts to a server.

> 2) I see that PhoneGap has an unimplemented class called File. Will
> that be a security hole when implemented?

No. The concept is to provide a sandboxed api to fit w/ the sdk terms.

Brock Whitten

Mar 9, 2009, 1:24:22 PM3/9/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
As of last night, phonegap(0.7.1) lazy loads all its classes. So the classes you dont call, will never be ran.

-brock

markdionne

Mar 9, 2009, 1:38:32 PM3/9/09
to phonegap
I will probably edit out all the API code from PhoneGap, leaving just
the UIWebView, and try resubmitting.

On Mar 9, 8:28 am, rborn <dan.ta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Change a line of code, and submit it again, maybe this time will be
> other guy on the other end.

markdionne

Mar 9, 2009, 1:48:25 PM3/9/09
to phonegap
This seems like a serious security hole. I could temporarily add some
JavaScript to the app on my server, use the PhoneGap API to grab the
contact information of a bunch of users, and then remove the
JavaScript to hide the evidence. Certainly Apple would not want to
permit this.

Brian LeRoux

Mar 9, 2009, 1:56:31 PM3/9/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
That is your server and your application. You could do the exact same
thing with a native application. Be smart and don't do stupid shit and
you'll be fine. Example: do not run 'rm -rf /' from your terminal.

Jeremy Edgell

Mar 9, 2009, 1:56:30 PM3/9/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Really, couldn't I do this, in theory, from a strictly obj c application as well? C'mon!

Chris Prather

Mar 9, 2009, 2:00:00 PM3/9/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Jeremy Edgell <edg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Really, couldn't I do this, in theory, from a strictly obj c application as
> well? C'mon!

That's my thought too ... though of course the rebuttal is that Apple
has the ability to scan for that if they chose.

But the point is the same, anything that has access to both the
network *and* the Phone internals is a vector for attack. PhoneGap
isn't any different than someone writing this ability into an ad-hoc
ObjC (or Java for those of us with Android!) program.

-Chris

Jeff McFadden

Mar 9, 2009, 2:05:31 PM3/9/09
to phonegap
There is no way apple is scanning for malicious code successfully
unless they have a team that's decompiling or reading machine code.
Even automated systems looking for certain api calls aren't going to
be able to make an intelligent decision as to *why* those api calls
are being made. Like Brock said be smart and you'll be fine.

Bradley S. O'Hearne

Mar 9, 2009, 4:35:04 PM3/9/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
All,

Likewise -- conjecture I'm not interested in, but I have a large corporate client on the verge of investing in PhoneGap as their multi-platform direction, and so knowing Apple's official stance on this is important. I don't make the decisions, but to the degree I'm advising them, if there's uncertainty with getting into the App Store if using PhoneGap, be it an occasional rejection (even if there are other apps in the store), I cannot recommend PhoneGap as a direction for significant business investment without knowing for sure that PhoneGap isn't a potential obstacle.

If anyone gets an official statement from Apple, please let me know either here on this list, or offline if that is desired.

Thanks,

Brad

Brad O'Hearne
Owner / Developer
Big Hill Software

For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com

markdionne

Mar 14, 2009, 12:05:12 PM3/14/09
to phonegap
After I was rejected for using PhoneGap, I resubmitted after editing
the PhoneGap source, removing all the API calls and renaming anything
containing "PhoneGap" or "Glass".

The app, CalorieMinder, was accepted last night at 1:30 AM Eastern
time.

Paul Prescod

Mar 14, 2009, 2:02:58 PM3/14/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Bradley S. O'Hearne
<brad.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
> Likewise -- conjecture I'm not interested in, but I have a large corporate
> client on the verge of investing in PhoneGap as their multi-platform
> direction, and so knowing Apple's official stance on this is important.

Apple's official stance is documented in its terms of service, which
are available to all of us equally. The problem is with a particular
reviewer's interpretation of those terms.

> don't make the decisions, but to the degree I'm advising them, if there's
> uncertainty with getting into the App Store if using PhoneGap, be it an
> occasional rejection (even if there are other apps in the store), I cannot
> recommend PhoneGap as a direction for significant business investment
> without knowing for sure that PhoneGap isn't a potential obstacle.

Nothing in life is for sure, especially when it involves human beings
and their opinions.

Paul Prescod

awaybbl

Mar 15, 2009, 2:20:03 PM3/15/09
to phonegap
I currently have 24 off-line UIwebview apps in the store, and all have
some flavor of phonegap/big5. None have ever been rejected for non-
public APIs. The best recommendation for any rejection is to make a
change, and resubmit (and in the section called Demo Account - Full
Access on the Overview tab of the app submission page, be sure to
explain that this is a re-submission, and explain that you are not
using any non-public APIs and that phonegap is just a set of UIWebView
javascript libraries.)

p w

Apr 8, 2009, 10:26:40 AM4/8/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Well, I just got rejected for having a PhoneGap application. I'm going
to resubmit and try to explain. Let me know if anyone has any
suggestions.

-Peter

Hello Peter,

Upon review of your application, Free for All Mas cannot be posted to

the App Store due to the usage of private API. Usage of such

non-public API, as outlined in the iPhone SDK Agreement section 3.3.2
is prohibited:

" An Application may not itself install or launch other executable

code by any means, including without limitation through use of a

plug-in architecture, calling other frameworks, other APIs or
otherwise. No interpreted code may be downloaded and used in an
Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple's
Published APIs and built-in interpreter(s).

The PhoneGap API implemented in your application is an external framework.

mbr...@sysgain.com

Apr 8, 2009, 11:53:14 AM4/8/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com, phon...@googlegroups.com
Was the rejection reason specifically because it was a PhoneGap-based
app or some other reason?

Adrian Goddard

Apr 8, 2009, 11:59:04 AM4/8/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
it sounds like you got one of the nazi style testers. best bet is to
make a change and resubmit hopefully it wont fall into the lap of the
same tester

Brian LeRoux

Apr 8, 2009, 12:05:41 PM4/8/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Make sure you rename all instances of PhoneGap esp in Info.plist --
they have no way of identifying the project otherwise and, really,
PhoneGap uses no private apis or frameworks. It is perfectly within
apples tos.

p w

Apr 8, 2009, 12:54:44 PM4/8/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that's my reading of it. They called it an "external framework".
The only conclusion that I can come to is that this is just like being
in grade school. Everyone must write all of their own code. There must
be no sharing because that would mean that you're relying on an
external framework.

-Peter

fuen

May 11, 2009, 8:07:34 AM5/11/09
to phonegap
Jep, they're firing again...

"Upon review of your application, fApp cannot be posted to the App
Store due to the usage of private API. Usage of such non-public API,
as outlined in the iPhone SDK Agreement section 3.3.2 is prohibited:

" An Application may not itself install or launch other executable
code by any means, including without limitation through use of a plug-
in architecture, calling other frameworks, other APIs or otherwise. No
interpreted code may be downloaded and used in an Application except
for code that is interpreted and run by Apple's Published APIs and
built-in interpreter(s).

The PhoneGap API implemented in your application is an external
framework.

Regards,

iPhone Developer Program
********************"

Hmm, what can i do best now?

By the way - amazing thing, PhoneGap. I edited a lot, but it still has
helped me very much into the world of iPhone coding.

Daniël

Vidal de Wit

May 11, 2009, 8:27:12 AM5/11/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Are there instructions to publish PhoneGap (my app uses phonegap framework) to the Apple Appstore?
I'll submit my app in a few days and I don't want Apple to reject my app.

I already removed the name "PhoneGap" texts in my project.

Any other tips and hints are welcome so Apple will approve my app.

Thanks
Vidal

fuen

May 11, 2009, 9:52:17 AM5/11/09
to phonegap
By the way, as i can read in my database log, they didn't even test
the app...

rborn

May 11, 2009, 9:56:16 AM5/11/09
to phonegap
Use the script provided in wiki pages to remove any phonegap
references, and resubmit the app.

fuen

May 11, 2009, 10:08:21 AM5/11/09
to phonegap
Yep, tried that. I'll let you know what happens now.

Another thing i'm thinking of... isn't my app going to be rejected
now, 'cause of the location problems with 3.0?

Giraldo Rosales

May 11, 2009, 10:32:23 AM5/11/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Quick question.... are any of the rejected apps downloading any images, files, or data from an external site? Are you using the local html, js, and css, files or external? Are you making any Ajax calls?

-G
LiquidGear.net

fuen

May 11, 2009, 11:55:07 AM5/11/09
to phonegap
Yep, my app is fully online. Calls for device id & modified call for
location.

Daniël

Giraldo Rosales

May 11, 2009, 11:59:30 AM5/11/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Do any of the accepted apps have external calls, downloaded files, etc.? If so what exactly? It may not be the actual PhoneGap, but rather the way you use it. Maybe Apple does not like external files being used to interact with the app, only those files within the "www" directory. Does this seem logical? or is there a situation where an app was accepted that uses files or calls outside of the local "www" directory? Or a situation where an app was rejected and everything was local?

-G
LiquidGear.net

Josiah

May 11, 2009, 12:15:13 PM5/11/09
to phonegap
I just got a rejection letter too, calling PhoneGap a private API.
What's so private about UIWebView? I thought I scrubbed it pretty
clean from PhoneGap references. I'll have to try the script
referenced above. I'm not doing anything crazy - just bringing my
mobile website up. No native stuff at all.

Any ideas? Is this common? I never got the impression that PhoneGap,
QuickConnect, etc were pushing the limits on Apple's SDK guidelines.
I've always felt they were great ways at making app-making more
accessible - something that I applaud and benefit greatly from. So
thanks for all the good work.

If there are suggestions of getting this through the App store I would
sure appreciate it. I've got many more apps I'd like to push through
with PhoneGap, but obviously am a bit concerned if it will be a big
cat and mouse game all the time.

If this is a continued problem regardless of what PhoneGap users do,
maybe someone at PhoneGap would want to tip off TechCrunch. TC loves
you guys and obviously is disgusted by Apple's App Store approval
process. May be better as a last choice though.

My rejection email is below:

Upon review of your application, ******** cannot be posted to the App
Store due to the usage of private API. Usage of such non-public API,
as outlined in the iPhone SDK Agreement section 3.3.2 is prohibited:

" An Application may not itself install or launch other executable
code by any means, including without limitation through use of a plug-
in architecture, calling other frameworks, other APIs or otherwise. No
interpreted code may be downloaded and used in an Application except
for code that is interpreted and run by Apple's Published APIs and
built-in interpreter(s).

The PhoneGap API implemented in your application is an external
framework.

Regards,

iPhone Developer Program

ade

May 11, 2009, 12:25:49 PM5/11/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
fyi: my original app was rejected for those reasons because i forgot to change the default.png - which had the original phonegap default.png - when i changed it & rebsubmitted it was accepted

i also thought about renaming everything from "phonegap" to something else as per the wiki but i didnt need to

--
ade
www.ibizaA-Z.com

Giraldo Rosales

May 11, 2009, 12:29:57 PM5/11/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Does it use anything online/external? if so what would that be?

Thanks,
-G
LiquidGear.net

ade

May 11, 2009, 12:33:00 PM5/11/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
nope - everything was in the www dir - though there are external links and errors in some of the pages  (which im fixing this week)

Vivian Aranha

May 11, 2009, 2:34:28 PM5/11/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
I had submitted around 10 applications using phonegap -  Apple accepted 6 of them rejected 4 of them... They were all using the same code only difference were the html and js.... i guess its just luck... depends on who check your code....

Viv
--
Vivian Aranha

Giraldo Rosales

May 11, 2009, 3:01:19 PM5/11/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Any major differences in that HTML/JS code that seem to fit a trend?

-G
LiquidGear.net

Vivian Aranha

May 11, 2009, 3:02:49 PM5/11/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Nope...

I follow step by step.... and all of them are almost teh same other then thier names adn teh www directory....

I guess they just started cracking down on frameworks.... Tiem to get back on to OBJ C

Viv
--
Vivian Aranha

John777

May 11, 2009, 5:59:21 PM5/11/09
to phonegap
Yes, it is time to get back to Objective C. Phonegap is specifically
targeted now, it is being watch closely in reviewing the app.

Josiah

May 11, 2009, 6:16:05 PM5/11/09
to phonegap
I loathe the idea of going back to Obj C, Java for Android, etc. But
with my iPhone app being rejected solely for using PhoneGap, I'm left
wondering if I have a choice. I've cleaned up my app according the
the wiki and resubmitted it to Apple. I hope it makes it through. But
even if it does, it is clear that Apple now has (arbitrarily) decided
to target PhoneGap. That leaves a gnawing in the back of my mind
that's hard to ignore.

PhoneGap: please talk to Apple about this. Or the blogosphere. Or
Obama or the Pope. Whomever. I really want PhoneGap for iPhone to
succeed.

I will keep using it for Android. I'll likely start using it soon for
the Blackberry Storm.

Please keep us updated on the state of the iPhone app store approval
process. I'll let you know how my resubmission goes.

Thanks.

-Josiah

John777

May 11, 2009, 6:26:07 PM5/11/09
to phonegap
> PhoneGap: please talk to Apple about this. Or the blogosphere. Or
> Obama or the Pope.  Whomever.  I really want PhoneGap for iPhone to
> succeed.

Yes, totally agree. Its kind of like a lottery. In the past,
sometimes, some app approved some app were not. Now, more app created
using PhoneGap was targeted more often.

So after all the hardwork building an app in phonegap, suddenly it was
rejected. I think better invest on Ojbective C which is less risky
until phonegap issue resolved.

Kai

May 11, 2009, 6:28:36 PM5/11/09
to phonegap
Good luck to your app resubmission!

I also have a few apps I want to deploy to the iPhone and am in a
holding pattern until this issue is resolved. I second your plea!

Giraldo Rosales

May 11, 2009, 6:32:08 PM5/11/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Maybe there should be more buzz in Apple's forums and contact form (http://developer.apple.com/contact/). Get their attention.

-G
LiquidGear.net

mattnico

May 11, 2009, 6:39:56 PM5/11/09
to phonegap
On May 11, 4:16 pm, Josiah <josiahlcarl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I loathe the idea of going back to Obj C, Java for Android, etc.  But
> with my iPhone app being rejected solely for using PhoneGap, I'm left
> wondering if I have a choice.  I've cleaned up my app according the
> the wiki and resubmitted it to Apple. I hope it makes it through.  But
> even if it does, it is clear that Apple now has (arbitrarily) decided
> to target PhoneGap.  That leaves a gnawing in the back of my mind
> that's hard to ignore.
>
> PhoneGap: please talk to Apple about this. Or the blogosphere. Or
> Obama or the Pope.  Whomever.  I really want PhoneGap for iPhone to
> succeed.

I have to agree with Josiah on this one. I love PhoneGap but when my
programming is meant to feed my family I can't afford to be stubbornly
loyal if Apple has a black mark on you.

Please, please, please work this out!

Brock Whitten

May 11, 2009, 7:30:28 PM5/11/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
my programming is meant to feed my family

GROAN.

@Josiah, I think you will be ok if you have renamed your application to have no trace of "phonegap". Phonegap perhaps is an alarm bell to apple, perhaps because we use the term "API". However, phonegap uses the iphone SDK API in a cpmpletely fair way and is really just a template for getting started application when you think of it.

Apple has been very dark and mysterious when it comes to getting rejecting applications and its a burden that you have to accept if you are going to develop for the iphone platform (Objective-C or not). We are not going to carry this burden for you.

@mattnico if your families hunger is on the line, I would suggest hiring one of the several phonegap developers who have applications in the app store to help you get your application approved. If you have troubles finding someone I can make some recommendations. btw - "stubbornly loyal" is something we would never expect from anyone.

-brock

Josiah

May 11, 2009, 7:50:52 PM5/11/09
to phonegap
Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping all this blows over soon.

You've got an awesome project and community here. It's a great help.

-Josiah

On May 11, 5:30 pm, Brock Whitten <brock.whit...@nitobi.com> wrote:
> > my programming is meant to feed my family
>
> GROAN.
>
> @Josiah, I think you will be ok if you have renamed your application to have
> no trace of "phonegap". Phonegap perhaps is an alarm bell to apple, perhaps
> because we use the term "API". However, phonegap uses the iphone SDK API in
> a cpmpletely fair way and is really just a template for getting started
> application when you think of it.
>
> Apple has been very dark and mysterious when it comes to getting rejecting
> applications and its a burden that you have to accept if you are going to
> develop for the iphone platform (Objective-C or not). We are not going to
> carry this burden for you.
>
> @mattnico if your families hunger is on the line, I would suggest hiring one
> of the several phonegap developers who have applications in the app store to
> help you get your application approved. If you have troubles finding someone
> I can make some recommendations. btw - "stubbornly loyal" is something we
> would never expect from anyone.
>
> -brock

Ryan

May 12, 2009, 12:43:41 PM5/12/09
to phonegap
On May 11, 3:16 pm, Josiah <josiahlcarl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I loathe the idea of going back to Obj C, Java for Android, etc.  But
> with my iPhone app being rejected solely for using PhoneGap, I'm left
> wondering if I have a choice.  I've cleaned up my app according the
> the wiki and resubmitted it to Apple. I hope it makes it through.  But
> even if it does, it is clear that Apple now has (arbitrarily) decided
> to target PhoneGap.  That leaves a gnawing in the back of my mind
> that's hard to ignore.

While I do think the process is inconsistent, I don't think it is
arbitrary. What is clear is that Apple does not want "dynamic" apps.
They want to know the nature of the app when they approve it, and
changes from the original form must be reexamined through the approval
process. Phonegap provides a huge hole for unintended functionality
to be distributed down to phones after approval. This is one of the
main reasons why Apple hasn't allowed Flash on the phone. It would
unleash distribution in a similar manner. I'm not saying this is good
or bad. It just is what it is, and I think everybody would agree that
Apple's intent is to restrict this type of flexibility in distribution.

ade

May 12, 2009, 1:07:37 PM5/12/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Ryan wrote:
 What is clear is that Apple does not want "dynamic" apps.

that doesnt make sense - how do you have a cinema listings app that isnt dynamic - the mlb app etc etc

Giraldo Rosales

May 12, 2009, 1:12:41 PM5/12/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
You could, in Obj-C, create a time-sensitive app that loads one view then after a month, it changes to a whole new app. That would actually be hilarious and really screw with their approval system.

-G
LiquidGear.net

Vivian Aranha

May 12, 2009, 1:21:57 PM5/12/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
All my applications since last one week are being rejected...

one of my application LEMI got approved so I made some graphics change and updated the app and that got rejected too....

So I guess they are looking into to see if phonegap is used....

I have not mentioned abt phonegap anywhere - So I now know they have some kinda tool whcih checks for it....I say stay away from phonegap.... All the work will be just waste.... i am going to write my own framework probably that will be much easier then to use any other... Coz its not fair to all those OBJ C programmers

Viv
--
Vivian Aranha

Brock Whitten

May 12, 2009, 1:27:39 PM5/12/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Apple does not have a any problems "dynamic" applications and they don't have problems with the phonegap technique. They seem to have an issue with us saying we have an API. This falls under the "3rd party" clause. Its just semantics. When apple is unaware that "phonegap" is being used, they have no complaints. Those who have renamed their applications before submission have not had issues getting in the app store.

This issue really needs to be put to rest. It seems that it is those who are not producing apps that seem to be most vocal on this issue meanwhile others are cranking out phonegap applications in bunches.

For those who are sharing their "rejection" stories. We really appreciate knowing these issues. It will help others avoid this problems. So thank you.

-brock

Vivian Aranha

May 12, 2009, 1:32:46 PM5/12/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I totally understand this...

I am a Objective C programmer but I am better at HTML and JS.... i have done everything to make sure adn all my applications in teh start - check http://www.vivianaranha.com - I have 7 phonegap applications approved from APPLE.... Only that recently i have submitted more 12 applications and all of them were rejected....

So if you see they have started lookign into it adn they dont like applications that use loading safari adn runngn teh entire app....

But if you still wnat to make your applications in phonegap go ahead and try to submit... you will have the same outcome

Viv
--
Vivian Aranha

Brock Whitten

May 12, 2009, 1:42:23 PM5/12/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Wow, 7 phonegap apps? thats awesome.

So if you see they have started lookign into it adn they dont like applications that use loading safari adn runngn teh entire app

really? can you please share the letter where they told you this?

-b

Vivian Aranha

May 12, 2009, 1:45:57 PM5/12/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Yeah  - I love phonegap.... But now we need to either update PhoneGap or find ways to get around apple....

I am taking next 3 weeks off from work and working on PhoneGap Framework so that it can work for me and will keep on updatign the group if Apple approves anything that I make....

If anyone else has any comments or anythgn to share regarding apple's approval technique pelase share....

If anyone had their App approved in last 2 days or in future please share details

Viv
--
Vivian Aranha

Andy Edmonds

May 12, 2009, 1:47:54 PM5/12/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
> But if you still wnat to make your applications in phonegap go ahead and try
> to submit... you will have the same outcome

I submitted the first update to iBlipper last Friday. It's from a
recent nachoman build with the unphonegap.py script run.

The app makes one outbound call per run to an "update.js" file on my
server -- I'm just using it to get usage logs currently.

Now, the new build mechanism means that I do have a phonegap.js file
but other references should be gone. I'll let ya'll know when I get a
response.

_A

davidroe

May 12, 2009, 1:49:23 PM5/12/09
to phonegap
could this fall under the mantra of "we don't want to pollute the App
Store with web apps wrapped in a UIWebView"? do any of the rejected
applications use _any_ native functionality? perhaps Apple are drawing
a line and using the "private API" rule because it is the only clause
they have to wield.

/dave

On May 12, 10:42 am, Brock Whitten <brock.whit...@nitobi.com> wrote:
> Wow, 7 phonegap apps? thats awesome.
>
> > So if you see they have started lookign into it adn they dont like
> > applications that use loading safari adn runngn teh entire app
>
> really? can you please share the letter where they told you this?
>
> -b
>
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Vivian Aranha <vivianara...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Yeah I totally understand this...
>
> > I am a Objective C programmer but I am better at HTML and JS.... i have
> > done everything to make sure adn all my applications in teh start - check
> >http://www.vivianaranha.com- I have 7 phonegap applications approved from
> > APPLE.... Only that recently i have submitted more 12 applications and all
> > of them were rejected....
>
> > So if you see they have started lookign into it adn they dont like
> > applications that use loading safari adn runngn teh entire app....
>
> > But if you still wnat to make your applications in phonegap go ahead and
> > try to submit... you will have the same outcome
>
> > Viv
>
> > On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Brock Whitten <brock.whit...@nitobi.com>wrote:
>
> >> Apple does not have a any problems "dynamic" applications and they don't
> >> have problems with the phonegap technique. They seem to have an issue with
> >> us saying we have an API. This falls under the "3rd party" clause. Its just
> >> semantics. When apple is unaware that "phonegap" is being used, they have no
> >> complaints. Those who have renamed their applications before submission have
> >> not had issues getting in the app store.
> >> This issue really needs to be put to rest. It seems that it is those who
> >> are not producing apps that seem to be most vocal on this issue meanwhile
> >> others are cranking out phonegap applications in bunches.
>
> >> For those who are sharing their "rejection" stories. We really appreciate
> >> knowing these issues. It will help others avoid this problems. So thank you.
>
> >> -brock

Ryan

May 12, 2009, 2:01:15 PM5/12/09
to phonegap
> ade wrote:
> that doesnt make sense - how do you have a cinema listings app that isnt
> dynamic - the mlb app etc etc

That's different. Here, you have a shell (Phonegap) downloading the
application logic (Javascript) which runs native functions. That's
precisely what Apple does not want to happen. Downloading cinema
listings is different, and does not dynamically alter the behavior of
the application in the same way that Phonegap provides.

Ryan

May 12, 2009, 2:27:06 PM5/12/09
to phonegap
On May 12, 10:27 am, Brock Whitten <brock.whit...@nitobi.com> wrote:
> Apple does not have a any problems "dynamic" applications and they don't
> have problems with the phonegap technique. They seem to have an issue with
> us saying we have an API. This falls under the "3rd party" clause. Its just
> semantics. When apple is unaware that "phonegap" is being used, they have no
> complaints. Those who have renamed their applications before submission have
> not had issues getting in the app store.

I understand your view, and appreciate the value that Phonegap
provides. I was about to convert a native obj-c project to Phonegap,
and may still do so. However, let's not put our head in the sand and
ignore what is happening. Consider Apple's ban on "interpreters"

"No interpreted code may be downloaded and used in an Application
except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple's Published APIs
and builtin interpreter(s)...An Application may not itself install or
launch other executable code by any means, including without
limitation through the use of a plug-in architecture, calling other
frameworks, other APIs or otherwise."

Obviously, you can pick apart the language and find that Phonegap
doesn't fit what Apple is describing. However, consider the spirit of
what Apple is trying to do (and prevent). Allowing an application to
have an interpreter, which downloads code at runtime, provides an
opportunity to move in questionable features post-approval, and thus
circumvent the application approval process. For example, an app that
I developed and submitted as a to-do list application could easily be
changed post-approval to a gambling application. While phonegap does
not have its own interpreter, it is leveraging javascript through
safari, and so Phonegap might as well contain its own interpreter.
The end result is the same. Since the javascript is downloaded from a
server at run-time, it certainly looks every similar to what Apple was
looking to disallow.

On May 12, 10:27 am, Brock Whitten <brock.whit...@nitobi.com> wrote:
> This issue really needs to be put to rest. It seems that it is those who are
> not producing apps that seem to be most vocal on this issue meanwhile others
> are cranking out phonegap applications in bunches.

Ignoring this likely won't improve things. Being open and proactive
is the best policy.

Michael Nachbaur

May 12, 2009, 2:46:21 PM5/12/09
to phonegap
Excellent! I've been scripting the build process for PhoneGap, auto-
generating the javascript files, etc. What I was thinking of doing as
a next step is to merge all javascript in a webapp down into a single
JS file (e.g. my "app.js", "phonegap.js", etc) and minifying /
obfuscating it. So class and variable names like "MyApp" and
"PhoneGap" will be rewritten to _A, _B, etc.

That, and I always rename my XCode Project and app name to whatever is
appropriate for my application. Perhaps we should have a script to
automagically rewrite the project appropriately? I usually just do
this by hand.

On May 12, 10:45 am, Vivian Aranha <vivianara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah  - I love phonegap.... But now we need to either update PhoneGap or
> find ways to get around apple....
>
> I am taking next 3 weeks off from work and working on PhoneGap Framework so
> that it can work for me and will keep on updatign the group if Apple
> approves anything that I make....
>
> If anyone else has any comments or anythgn to share regarding apple's
> approval technique pelase share....
>
> If anyone had their App approved in last 2 days or in future please share
> details
>
> Viv
>
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Brock Whitten <brock.whit...@nitobi.com>wrote:
>

> > Wow, 7 phonegap apps? thats awesome.
>
> >> So if you see they have started lookign into it adn they dont like
> >> applications that use loading safari adn runngn teh entire app
>
> > really? can you please share the letter where they told you this?
>
> > -b
>
> > On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Vivian Aranha <vivianara...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Yeah I totally understand this...
>
> >> I am a Objective C programmer but I am better at HTML and JS.... i have
> >> done everything to make sure adn all my applications in teh start - check
> >>http://www.vivianaranha.com- I have 7 phonegap applications approved
> >> from APPLE.... Only that recently i have submitted more 12 applications and
> >> all of them were rejected....
>
> >> So if you see they have started lookign into it adn they dont like
> >> applications that use loading safari adn runngn teh entire app....
>
> >> But if you still wnat to make your applications in phonegap go ahead and
> >> try to submit... you will have the same outcome
>
> >> Viv

David Orchard

May 12, 2009, 3:03:20 PM5/12/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
I thought Paul Prescod had written a python script to do a replace on
any phonegap or glass strings? The one other thing that I thought
Apple could check for is the calls to gap:, and they might need to be
obfuscated as well. Paul and I talked and I think he's going to
update his script to do that as well.

cheers,
Dave

Jonathan

May 12, 2009, 3:49:57 PM5/12/09
to phonegap
Well, this happend to me this morning. I wrote back to them asking
what exactly the problem was:

Hello,

Your application uses the PhoneGap API which is an external framework.

Thank you.

Regards,

iPhone Developer Program

Please let me know what private API you are referring to. I'm only
using documented APIs

> >> --
> >> Vivian Aranha- Hide quoted text -

John777

May 12, 2009, 6:37:32 PM5/12/09
to phonegap
I think this mail and others apps that use PhoneGap have been
constantly rejected in the past week. This prove that PhoneGap is
specifically targeted. It will specifically scrutinize when it is new
app. For existing App, an upgrade might still able to pass the review
process.

Jonathan

May 12, 2009, 8:07:21 PM5/12/09
to phonegap
unfortunately, mine was an upgrade :(

John777

May 12, 2009, 8:39:21 PM5/12/09
to phonegap
On May 12, 5:07 pm, Jonathan <jonathan.mulc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> unfortunately, mine was an upgrade :(

oppppssss..... that's not good. :(

Jonathan

May 12, 2009, 11:36:27 PM5/12/09
to phonegap
I just went through and cleaned out all phonegap references from the
project and resubmitted. I'll keep everyone posted.

John777

May 13, 2009, 12:18:44 AM5/13/09
to phonegap

On May 12, 8:36 pm, Jonathan <jonathan.mulc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just went through and cleaned out all phonegap references from the
> project and resubmitted. I'll keep everyone posted.

:). I think we are just keep trying to sneak PhoneGap App in
eventhough Apple specifically said it is not allowed. It just like cat
and mouse game. Actually, I don't think it is a right approach. By
sneaking in and fooling around Apple, it will not good publicity for
PhoneGap. In Press/Media, PhoneGap will not be able to claim it is
compatible with iPhone. It is compatible with iPhone by fooling
Apple. :). Sorry not trying to post negatively but trying to find the
right approach for PhoneGap so it will be credible in the press/media

nurikabe

May 13, 2009, 8:39:19 AM5/13/09
to phonegap
I've been doing a lot of research into the emerging trend of app
stores. Thanks to the success of Apple's, this summer everyone and
their brother will be coming out with their own stores. RIM, Google,
and Microsoft of course; even individual handset manufacturers like
Samsung who want to promote apps optimized for their devices. Some
will limit the lowest price for apps to, I believe, $2.00 to try to
fend off commoditization and keep the quality of the apps high.

If Apple wants to control the app ecosystem/tech stack down to the
frameworks being used, perhaps the opportunity is to shift focus to
other under-served platforms that would welcome a framework like
PhoneGap.

nurikabe

May 13, 2009, 8:42:31 AM5/13/09
to phonegap
BTW, has anyone heard of other frameworks like QuickConnect or Rhodes
having problems?

mboehmer

May 13, 2009, 12:45:13 PM5/13/09
to phonegap
Is there any other way to distribute an application beyond the App
Store? What about the enterprise program?

davidroe

May 13, 2009, 1:14:29 PM5/13/09
to phonegap
On May 12, 11:27 am, Ryan <rhuff.9...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since the javascript is downloaded from a
> server at run-time, it certainly looks every similar to what Apple was
> looking to disallow.

in which case, run offline javascript, never download code from a
server, or at least list the servers that are approved to download
content from and improve the app store approval process so that it
monitors network activity to validate that this is the case.

seeing as Apple is so hard to talk to about issues such as these,
would anyone like to formally discuss this with them at the upcoming
WWDC so that a problem as significant as this can be resolved?

Jonathan

May 13, 2009, 2:59:50 PM5/13/09
to phonegap
The only way to reach the masses is either though the App Store, or
now the Cydia Store on jailbroken phones.

Andrew Hedges

May 13, 2009, 5:29:59 PM5/13/09
to phonegap
Just sent the following to the iPhone group, through http://developer.apple.com/contact/
... I'll let everyone know what response I get, if any.

"I'm reading that apps that leverage PhoneGap are being rejected out-
of-hand from the app store. This seems quite arbitrary and unnecessary
as PhoneGap is specifically designed only to tap public, sanctioned
iPhone APIs. Is it true that the use of PhoneGap is a cause for
rejection? There are, as far as I know, dozens of PhoneGap apps on the
store, so why would some get rejected, with PhoneGap cited as the
reason for the rejection, and some not? We need clarification so we
know how to work within the expectations. Thanks!"

On May 12, 10:32 am, Giraldo Rosales <nitr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe there should be more buzz in Apple's forums and contact form (http://developer.apple.com/contact/). Get their attention.
>
> -G
> LiquidGear.net
>

> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Kai <nopha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Good luck to your app resubmission!
>
> > I also have a few apps I want to deploy to the iPhone and am in a
> > holding pattern until this issue is resolved. I second your plea!
>
> > On May 11, 6:16 pm, Josiah <josiahlcarl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I loathe the idea of going back to Obj C, Java for Android, etc.  But
> > > with my iPhone app being rejected solely for using PhoneGap, I'm left
> > > wondering if I have a choice.  I've cleaned up my app according the
> > > the wiki and resubmitted it to Apple. I hope it makes it through.  But
> > > even if it does, it is clear that Apple now has (arbitrarily) decided
> > > to target PhoneGap.  That leaves a gnawing in the back of my mind
> > > that's hard to ignore.
>
> > > PhoneGap: please talk to Apple about this. Or the blogosphere. Or
> > > Obama or the Pope.  Whomever.  I really want PhoneGap for iPhone to
> > > succeed.
>
> > > I will keep using it for Android.  I'll likely start using it soon for
> > > the Blackberry Storm.
>
> > > Please keep us updated on the state of the iPhone app store approval
> > > process.  I'll let you know how my resubmission goes.
>
> > > Thanks.
>
> > > -Josiah

Tim Uckun

May 13, 2009, 5:37:00 PM5/13/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 12:42 AM, nurikabe <eao...@gmail.com> wrote:

BTW, has anyone heard of other frameworks like QuickConnect or Rhodes
having problems?

I don't know about quickconnect but rhodes is actually a compiler for a ruby like language and a framework. It actually compiles the language down to java bytecode.  I saw a web cast and the person said they specifically got an OK from apple.

John777

May 13, 2009, 6:36:23 PM5/13/09
to phonegap

On May 13, 2:29 pm, Andrew Hedges <segd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just sent the following to the iPhone group, throughhttp://developer.apple.com/contact/
> ... I'll let everyone know what response I get, if any.
>
> "I'm reading that apps that leverage PhoneGap are being rejected out-
> of-hand from the app store. This seems quite arbitrary and unnecessary
> as PhoneGap is specifically designed only to tap public, sanctioned
> iPhone APIs. Is it true that the use of PhoneGap is a cause for
> rejection? There are, as far as I know, dozens of PhoneGap apps on the
> store, so why would some get rejected, with PhoneGap cited as the
> reason for the rejection, and some not? We need clarification so we
> know how to work within the expectations. Thanks!"

If you see previous message in this thread, some app that passed Apple
approval process because they have been able to fool Apple by changing
any references to PhoneGap. So, the approval process is a matter of
how clever you fool Apple. :)

John777

May 13, 2009, 6:40:31 PM5/13/09
to phonegap
or until they discover you fool Apple too much then Apple might ban
your account instead.

Scott McWhirter

May 13, 2009, 6:48:23 PM5/13/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 3:40 PM, John777 <John...@gmail.com> wrote:
or until they discover you fool Apple too much then Apple might ban
your account instead.

So you personally have been in contact with Apple to ask for clarification on why they think the PhoneGap application skeleton isn't appropriate?

All I have seen from you in respect to this topic is fear-mongering, so either do something constructive (contact Apple) or decide that PhoneGap is not for you and move on. Use of phonegap is no different that using the Facebook connect iPhone skeleton. Apple rejects hundreds of apps per day that aren't phonegap related, so not using phonegap doesn't guarantee you a thing.

For us, we're just going to get along with developing phonegap and deal with issues as they come along.

--
-Scott McWhirter- | -Technology Consultant-
[ Cloudtone Studios - http://www.cloudtone.ca ]

John777

May 13, 2009, 7:18:01 PM5/13/09
to phonegap
I do use phonegap in my app and also has email about it. And also
thank you for PhoneGap that already provided that opportunity.

At the same time, this directly related to time and money investment
in creating the app using phonegap, I don't think it is fear-
mongering. What I am trying to do, is to bring awareness that this
might possibly a bigger priority. Sometimes, we might think all we
need is just to create a good framework however there is the other end
of business/legal side that we need to deal with.

Sorry, if my message cause fear-mongering. I will keep quite about it
then and put it in the back burner.

Scott McWhirter

May 13, 2009, 7:40:59 PM5/13/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 4:18 PM, John777 <John...@gmail.com> wrote:

I do use phonegap in my app and also has email about it. And also
thank you for PhoneGap that already provided that opportunity.

At the same time, this directly related to time and money investment
in creating the app using phonegap, I don't think it is fear-
mongering. What I am trying to do, is to bring awareness that this
might possibly a bigger priority. Sometimes, we might think all we
need is just to create a good framework however there is the other end
of business/legal side that we need to deal with.

We're aware of the situation, but I know of other phonegap users that have had their apps rejected for reasons completely unrelated to phonegap, so it's probably a LOT more common than you think.

While PhoneGap advertises itself as an API, it really isn't... it's just an application skeleton, the same as the examples you can download from the apple website. If you want to be constructive, please feel free to contact apple for clarification on the issue and ask them why phonegap is any different from the facebook connect API, or the medialets api or the admob api.

Sorry, if my message cause fear-mongering. I will keep quite about it
then and put it in the back burner.

Perhaps not fear-mongering, but banging the same drum again and again isn't constructive and I'd rather just get on with it and move forward than constantly freaking out about the possibility of an app getting rejected.

David Orchard

May 13, 2009, 8:15:51 PM5/13/09
to phon...@googlegroups.com
I feel that I finally have to weigh in on this. People are banging
the same drum again and again because of completely obvious and
reasonable risk that their app won't make it in specifically because
they chose to use PhoneGap. That the main phonegap authors won't even
admit that maybe they should try to talk to apple and instead push it
off to every phonegap user and then insult the developers for the
concern is about is pretty demeaning and discouraging to the
community.

I think if the phonegap authors take a step back, catch their breath,
calm the ruffled feathers, they will realize that the obvious thing is
for them to talk to apple and try to resolve the issue.

Cheers,
Dave
It is loading more messages.