Is it possbile to make a phone-call app with phonegap

qiu

Aug 8, 2011, 12:29:55 AM8/8/11
to phonegap
Hi,

Is it possble to make a phone-call app (or even a voip app) with
phonegap ?

To make a phone call app I need to send & receive voice package. But
is that possbile to use HTML and javascript only to do that?

I am not sure if this is a "dumb" question (and I am sorry if it is)
because I just heard of phonegap a week ago.

Thanks!

Qiulang

Simon MacDonald

Aug 8, 2011, 9:53:38 AM8/8/11
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Basic calling can be done using tel: URI and SMS using the sms: URI
but if you want to go full VOIP then you'll need to start writing
plugins for PhoneGap.

Simon Mac Donald
http://hi.im/simonmacdonald

> --
>
> For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com

jcesar

Aug 8, 2011, 6:05:03 PM8/8/11
to phonegap
take a look to phono mobile

http://blog.phono.com/2011/07/22/video-how-to-build-an-iphone-voice-conferencing-app-using-phono-mobile-and-phonegap/?utm_source=wordtwit&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wordtwit

On 8 ago, 15:53, Simon MacDonald <simon.macdon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Basic calling can be done using tel: URI and SMS using the sms: URI
> but if you want to go full VOIP then you'll need to start writing
> plugins for PhoneGap.
>
> Simon Mac Donaldhttp://hi.im/simonmacdonald

qiu

Aug 9, 2011, 10:07:36 PM8/9/11
to phonegap
Thanks for answering my question. Can you elaborate on the part of
"writing plugins for PhoneGap" ? What is the concept of plugin here ?

Also I am curious about how I can make a voip call with javascript and
html 5 only ? How I can send and receive data package with JS and HTML
5, what is mechanism behinds it? For example just like you said, to
make a basic calling I can embed tel:URI inside html and iPhone will
recognize that. So I do not need to worry about the part of making
the phone call process, iPhone does that for me. But with PhoneGap
how ?

On Aug 8, 9:53 pm, Simon MacDonald <simon.macdon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Basic calling can be done using tel: URI and SMS using the sms: URI
> but if you want to go full VOIP then you'll need to start writing
> plugins for PhoneGap.
>
> Simon Mac Donaldhttp://hi.im/simonmacdonald

qiu

Aug 9, 2011, 10:51:35 PM8/9/11
to phonegap
Hi,

I took a brief look at phono mobile (thanks for pointer BTW). But it
is not clear to me how it sends/receives voice data package (so back
to original question) ?

Do you have any idea of that ?

Thanks!

On Aug 9, 6:05 am, jcesar <jcesarmob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> take a look to phono mobile
>
> http://blog.phono.com/2011/07/22/video-how-to-build-an-iphone-voice-c...

jcesar

Aug 11, 2011, 3:13:55 AM8/11/11
to phonegap
To build a plugin you have to create it with native code, you can't
call just with html+javascript.
Phono mobile is a toolkit with the native part already build, so you
can add it to your project and use it.

qiu

Aug 11, 2011, 9:48:34 PM8/11/11
to phonegap