WebKit2 in Qt with less interoperability?

Alessandro Portale

Jul 7, 2011, 5:20:10 PM7/7/11
to phan...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious what you people around PhantomJS think about this
announcement: http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/07/07/qwebview-and-friends-are-looking-for-a-new-maintainer/

- Alessandro

Ariya Hidayat

Jul 7, 2011, 7:44:30 PM7/7/11
to phan...@googlegroups.com
> I'm curious what you people around PhantomJS think about this
> announcement: http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/07/07/qwebview-and-friends-are-looking-for-a-new-maintainer/

Well, I guess we just need to fork/snapshot WebKit1 and keep it for
ourselves (see http://code.google.com/p/phantomjs/issues/detail?id=31).

Ivan De Marino

Jul 8, 2011, 8:14:20 AM7/8/11
to phan...@googlegroups.com
Why?

I mean, given that PhantomJS is not a massive project, shouldn't we just move to use QtWebKit2.2?

I have to say though, unless I'm totally "out of the loop", I wouldn't know how to do that. QtWebKit has lot of info in the documentation on what are the API and how to use them.
To move to QtWebKit 2.2 we would need that.

But after all, the switch should happen in Qt 5: Qt 4.8 should be using QtWebKit 2.1 (right?), and that is not a WebKit2 api.
By the time Qt 5 is released, documentation and the rest should be made available.

Am I making any sense Ale? Is the picture very different from what I described?

Ivan

Ariya Hidayat

Jul 8, 2011, 12:28:53 PM7/8/11
to phan...@googlegroups.com
I think Alessandro meant something in the far future. We can still
always use QtWebKit 2.x that does not switch to WebKit2 (aka
multiprocess WebKit).

However, the fact that WebKit1 API is considered "obsolete" means that
at some point, we will not be able to use the latest and greatest
WebKit features anymore.

--
Ariya

Ivan De Marino

Jul 8, 2011, 12:57:16 PM7/8/11
to phan...@googlegroups.com
I see.

I need to read more about what QtWebKit2.2 brings in terms of functionality. I did only a superfluous scan of the new WebKit2 multi-process arch.

Ivan De Marino

Jul 8, 2011, 1:32:30 PM7/8/11
to phan...@googlegroups.com
Ah, and so, what's the plan?
When do we start compiling QtWebKit in PhantomJS?

It would be great learning for us as well...

On 8 July 2011 17:57, Ivan De Marino <detron...@gmail.com> wrote:
I see.

I need to read more about what QtWebKit2.2 brings in terms of functionality. I did only a superfluous scan of the new WebKit2 multi-process arch.

Ariya Hidayat

Jul 8, 2011, 5:57:28 PM7/8/11
to phan...@googlegroups.com
> Ah, and so, what's the plan?
> When do we start compiling QtWebKit in PhantomJS?
> It would be great learning for us as well...

Whenever I find the time to start doing it.

Ivan De Marino

Jul 8, 2011, 6:13:33 PM7/8/11
to phan...@googlegroups.com
Let me know if you need help.
I have some experience in building QtWebKit from scratch and building stuff with it.

I just need to figure out how to mix Qt source/lib with QtWebKit source/lib.

Alessandro Portale

Jul 10, 2011, 4:40:47 AM7/10/11
to phan...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Ariya Hidayat <ariya....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think Alessandro meant something in the far future. We can still
> always use QtWebKit 2.x that does not switch to WebKit2 (aka
> multiprocess WebKit).

Indeed, I looked perhaps more than one Year into the future. As Ariya
mentioned, QtWebKit 2.x will stay WebKit1 based, and WebKit1 will not
go away that easily. My concern is only that the Nokia resources on
the current "in-process" QtWebkit 2.x API maintenance will be reduced.
(And while hacking on PhantomJS, we already found quite a few things
that need to be fixed in QtWebkit 2.x).

> However, the fact that WebKit1 API is considered "obsolete" means that
> at some point, we will not be able to use the latest and greatest
> WebKit features anymore.

I suppose that in the meantime, there will be more features added to
WebKit2 to ease the communication between the processes. Everybody
needs that (Mobile OSes, PhoneGap, Sencha tools, etc.), not just Qt.