Inserting an Interval Using JDBC

Will Szopko

Jan 23, 2006, 12:02:17 PM1/23/06
My apologies if there's a simple answer to my problem, but I've looked
and looked and can't figure it out.

I have just upgraded to the 8.1-404 version of the JDBC driver from a
much older version. In the past I had been able load an interval into my
database by sending it as a string, as such:

String myInterval = "08:00"; // 8 hour interval
stmt.setString(1, myInterval);

Using the new driver I am no longer able to do this and get the
following error:

column "num_hours" is of type interval but expression is of type text

I have looked through the driver source code, but don't see that I could
send the value as an "object" or as one of the other time-related types.
If someone might be able to point me to a solution to this problem, I'd
be most appreciative.

Thanks.

- Will

subscribe-nomail command to majo...@postgresql.org so that your

Oliver Jowett

Jan 23, 2006, 3:10:13 PM1/23/06
Will Szopko wrote:

> I have just upgraded to the 8.1-404 version of the JDBC driver from a
> much older version. In the past I had been able load an interval into my
> database by sending it as a string, as such:
>
> String myInterval = "08:00"; // 8 hour interval
> stmt.setString(1, myInterval);
>
> Using the new driver I am no longer able to do this and get the
> following error:
>
> column "num_hours" is of type interval but expression is of type text

Use "CAST (? AS INTERVAL)" in your query, or use the custom
org.postgresql.util.PGInterval type and pass an instance to setObject().

-O

Will Szopko

Jan 23, 2006, 3:19:24 PM1/23/06
Oliver -

Thanks, much! I figured the latter out subsequent to my initial post,
but had not thought of the former, which ended up being more elegant for
my application. Again, thanks.

- Will

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend