XB Zar

Mohsen Saboorian

Sep 13, 2009, 4:01:55 AM9/13/09
to Persian Computing
Hi,

Anyone here know why XB Zar is Italic (actually Iranic) by design?

Mohsen

Nasser Hajloo

Sep 13, 2009, 4:26:45 AM9/13/09
to Persian Computing
hi mohsen,

I am using XB Series font for a while, ( specially XB Zar ) I have
used this font in a enterprise project for default reporting syste
font ( for numbers ) .

this font as I am using is not Italic, it has an italic version too.
as I know the new fonts provide Italic and Bold version in different
fonts and if you want to use a complete functionality of font, you
should get whole ( 3 font ) and when you italic the word in a sentence
by default the editor use from italic version of the font and when you
bold the word, the editor use the BOLD one.

so I think that you should get all 3 XB Zar font to resolve your
issue.

On Sep 13, 12:01 pm, Mohsen Saboorian <mohs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Anyone here know why XB
> Zar<http://wiki.irmug.org/index.php/%D9%82%D9%84%D9%85%D9%87%D8%A7%DB%8C_...>is

Mostafa Hajizadeh

Sep 13, 2009, 4:31:57 AM9/13/09
to Mohsen Saboorian, Persian Computing
Hi Mohsen,

It's not. You either haven't installed regular (non-italic) version,
as Nasser told too, or there's a problem with the software you're
using. XB Zar, in the version that you linked, has 2 italic-like
variations, and a software that doesn't support these situations
correctly may chose one of these versions as the default, and the
other italic-like as 'italic' mode.

Mostafa

Mohsen Saboorian

Sep 13, 2009, 4:44:27 AM9/13/09
to Mostafa Hajizadeh, Persian Computing
Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies. I've just downloaded and installed XB Zar package and installed all 6 fonts:
XB Zar Bd.ttf
XB Zar BdIt.ttf
XB Zar It.ttf
XB Zar Oblique.ttf
XB Zar ObliqueBd.ttf
XB Zar.ttf

Attached is a screenshot showing how this font is rendered on my FF 3.5

Windows font viewer also shows English glyphs as Iranic when I double click on XB Zar.ttf. Can it be a bug with the recent irmug package?

Mohsen
xbzar-italic.png

Mostafa Hajizadeh

Sep 13, 2009, 5:37:42 AM9/13/09
to Mohsen Saboorian, Persian Computing
Hi,

No problem with the font itself. I just downloaded it from the same
place and everything's normal. I don't have a Windows here to check,
but at least you're sure the font itself is OK.

One possible scenario is that there's some problem with the regular
font and Windows automatically switches to the another variation of
the same font. I also found something similar here:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?threadID=309320

Mostafa

Mohsen Saboorian

Sep 13, 2009, 5:50:54 AM9/13/09
to Mostafa Hajizadeh, Persian Computing
Thank you Mostafa. I removed the 6 fonts from Windows font folder, and re-installed them. Everything works well now.

Mohsen.

Behnam

Sep 13, 2009, 7:26:32 AM9/13/09
to Mohsen Saboorian, Mostafa Hajizadeh, Persian Computing
The latest version of XB Zar has Italic and Oblique (Iranic). Windows do not see the oblique variants by default (normally) they can only be available in applications such as InDesign ME. But when you use Command+B or Command+I on Windows you should be able to have the bold and italic variants respectively (if installed).
I don't know what was your problem initially. This may have something to do with font caché in the system that 'memorized' a wrong variant for italic. This is what often happens on the Mac platform. But I'm no expert, just guessing.
-b

Mohsen Saboorian

Sep 13, 2009, 7:38:13 AM9/13/09
to Behnam, Mostafa Hajizadeh, Persian Computing
The problem was most probably a Windows font cache issue which is now resolved after re-installing fonts.

FYI: I wrote a small introductory article for some Quran-friendly (including XB Zar) fonts here:

Mohsen

Behnam

Sep 13, 2009, 7:54:09 AM9/13/09
to Mohsen Saboorian, Mostafa Hajizadeh, Persian Computing
Arabic Typesetting is a font coming with Windows OS, free (for Windows users) and very sophisticated and complete. Did you miss it or you don't find it suitable for Koranic expression?
-b

Mohsen Saboorian

Sep 13, 2009, 8:26:27 AM9/13/09
to Behnam, Mostafa Hajizadeh, Persian Computing
I wasn't aware of this font. I didn't see it before, because it seems that it's not bundled in Windows XP. I'll add it to the page as soon as I could ask someone to send me a screenshot with this font.

Thanks,
Mohsen

Connie Bobroff

Sep 13, 2009, 1:51:39 PM9/13/09
to Mohsen Saboorian, Behnam, Mostafa Hajizadeh, Persian Computing
Also bundled with Windows Vista and MS Word 2007 is the "Microsoft Uighur" font (with Perso-Arabic and Latin subsets) by Mamoun Sakkal and John Hudson. It is technically similar to Arabic Typesetting and comes in the same relatively small size making it great for printing or PDFs but unsuitable for web pages.
-Connie

Mohsen Saboorian

Sep 13, 2009, 2:16:09 PM9/13/09
to Connie Bobroff, Behnam, Mostafa Hajizadeh, Persian Computing