Help getting pugs working?

Jeff Stampes

Aug 30, 2006, 6:02:34 PM8/30/06
to perl6...@perl.org
I told my coworkers I'd get pugs up and running for us, so we could
start getting some hands on experience. I managed this on my home
system in the past, but am completely stymied now.

We're running Red Hat Enterprise 4, and I'm stuck at square one, trying
to get GHC running. You need ghc working to compile ghc, or you need
to bootstrap it. Reading the bootstrapping instructions, it assumes
you have a system somewhere that has ghc working. That is not the case
for me. The other option is to unpack existing .hc files over your
source tree, but I am unable to find any.

Is this really as hard as it seems to me? I used to think I was reasonably
bright

Thanks,
~Jeff

Steffen Schwigon

Aug 30, 2006, 7:23:58 PM8/30/06
to perl6...@perl.org
Jeff Stampes <Jeff.S...@xilinx.com> writes:
> We're running Red Hat Enterprise 4, and I'm stuck at square one,
> trying to get GHC running. You need ghc working to compile ghc, or
> you need to bootstrap it.

Did you already try one of the binaries from

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_641.html

?

> Is this really as hard as it seems to me? I used to think I was
> reasonably bright

It should be easy, it's just the starting step that can be tricky,
inherently to bootstrapping in general.

But I can not really believe that RedHat doesn't have any old version
of haskell available somewhere. Have a second look, try the URLs above
for binaries and then it's really just a sequence of configure, make,
make install (and some hours of waiting between those steps).
If in doubt, read
http://dresden-pm.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/PM/PugsFirstBloodEnglish#Haskell
to get a general idea of the easiness, although it's not RedHat-driven.

GreetinX
Steffen
--
Steffen Schwigon <schw...@webit.de>
Dresden Perl Mongers <http://dresden-pm.org/>

Jeff Stampes

Aug 30, 2006, 8:07:17 PM8/30/06
to Steffen Schwigon, perl6...@perl.org

Thanks to Steffen and others who sent me some help and words of
encouragement...I believe I have it working now :)