Re: Perl development server

Juerd

May 23, 2005, 11:25:57 AM5/23/05
to Rob Kinyon, Juerd, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
Rob Kinyon skribis 2005-05-23 11:22 (-0400):
> I'd like one.

Sure - just think of a nice catchy username! :)

> Maybe we should divvy these tasks out. It wouldn't do that have two
> people smoke-testing on the exact same machine or to have two SVN
> mirrors ...

Good idea, will you take the task of managing these decisions?

> dev.pugscode.org seems indicated ...

Sorry, but 'dev' isn't cute enough :). And it's going to be
something.perl6.nl, probably. I don't mind aliases, though, but they
better be CNAMEs.

Juerd

Juerd

May 23, 2005, 11:18:45 AM5/23/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
Hi,

because I see some people struggle to get things like GHC working, and
then to get make and a compiler working, and because some people have
limited bandwidth which makes big svn updates a less pleasant
experience, and for other reasons, I decided to have my company,
Convolution, sponsor a shell server.

It will be a simple server, with an Intel main board, a Pentium 4 2.4
GHz CPU, 1024 MB of RAM and 80 GB of mirrored (raid1) diskspace.

On the software side, there will be Debian GNU/Linux "Sid", with all
software required to compile Parrot and Pugs installed. Using Apache,
users can publish files for http access.

Twistspace, a Dutch colocation provider, is so kind to sponsor rackspace
and connectivity.

My current estimate is that the machine will be online and accessible by
the end of this week.

Everyone who wants, can get a login. Access is provided via SSH version
2 only (Windows users can use PuTTY and WinSCP), and the box may be used
for everything that improves Perl 6 development. Users are encouraged to
keep files world readable for transparency.

If you want access, please let me know. I will send you a temporary
password by e-mail, that I expect you to change the first time you get
the chance.

Please let me know which software you want installed. If it's in Debian
and doesn't conflict with other software, you can have it (but no X or
openoffice, or the like). If it's not in Debian, you'll have to compile
it yourself.

The box won't have an SVN mirror unless someone puts it there. There
won't be a smoke test unless someone writes the script. It's a community
machine, and users are expected to fill in the details.

Also, this new machine needs a hostname. Please help me think of a cute
name! I prefer a short hostname with less than 9 letters.

I have sent this message to perl6-language and perl6-compiler. Please CC
replies back to me if you read it on p6c, because I'm not subscribed to
that list.

Regards,

Juerd

P.S. No guarantees of any kind are made. If I turn BOFHish one day, you
may find your account removed just because I liked it :)

Juerd

May 23, 2005, 12:07:18 PM5/23/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
Thomas Klausner skribis 2005-05-23 18:03 (+0200):
> While I will inform everyone what they need, I'm sure quite a lot
> people will show up without a fresh checkout of the various
> repositories. So if I can get a number of dummy accounts (to be
> deleted after the event) that would be great!

hackathon1..hackathon9, or do you need more?

> BTW, will all users on this machine share one svn working copy or is
> everyone supposed to to his/her own checkout? Or is this one of the things
> someone should organise?

There may be a local mirror to minimize bandwidth (if someone arranges
this to happen), but every uses should have their own working copy,
because otherwise versioning systems don't work too well: you would be
committing someone else's changes, for which you don't know a good log
entry, and the logs no longer show the correct user names.

Juerd

Juerd

May 23, 2005, 12:03:10 PM5/23/05
to Stevan Little, Juerd, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
Stevan Little skribis 2005-05-23 12:00 (-0400):
> I would like an account too, username 'stevan' please.

Will be arranged.

> lambdacamels.perl6.nl?

I like it, but singular (as it identifies the machine itself, not its
users).

Juerd

May 23, 2005, 12:02:06 PM5/23/05
to BÁRTHÁZI András, Juerd, Rob Kinyon, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
BÁRTHÁZI András skribis 2005-05-23 17:40 (+0200):
> I think, the cute name can be about animals. A camel and a parrot are in
> my mind.

Parrot can't be, because that's also the name of one of the projects,
and I want to avoid confusion.

Camel -- sorry, but years of Perl still haven't convinced me they are
cute animals :) Besides, it feels wrong to see a camel in Perl context
without the text "used with permission". (Even though that is only
required with images)

> Or what about camelseeks.org/perlseeks.org? It sounds like camel6 and
> perl6.

The domain already exists, but if you want to register additional
domains, go right ahead. Ask me for DNS information later.

Juerd

May 23, 2005, 12:51:31 PM5/23/05
to Nathan Gray, Juerd, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
Nathan Gray skribis 2005-05-23 12:50 (-0400):

> > >Sorry, but 'dev' isn't cute enough :). And it's going to be
> > >something.perl6.nl, probably. I don't mind aliases, though, but they
> > >better be CNAMEs.
> Juerd, why am I getting everyone's responses, but not your original
> messages?

I have no idea. I'm sending these messages to the two mailing lists, and
from there on, I can't track where they're going (or not)

Juerd

May 23, 2005, 12:55:29 PM5/23/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
Thomas Klausner skribis 2005-05-23 18:03 (+0200):
> onion

Sorry, I had previously overlooked this lone paragraph.

I like "onion" the best so far.

Juerd

per...@warpmail.net

May 23, 2005, 2:58:20 PM5/23/05
to Juerd, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
How about "zephyr".

Matt Creenan

May 23, 2005, 3:08:02 PM5/23/05
to per...@warpmail.net, Juerd, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
On Mon, 23 May 2005 14:58:20 -0400, per...@warpmail.net
<per...@warpmail.net> wrote:
> How about "zephyr".

No! That's the name of a project I'm working on dang it ;)

per...@warpmail.net

May 23, 2005, 3:14:50 PM5/23/05
to Juerd, Juerd, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
It reminds me of minor league baseball and roller coasters...anyway,
onion seems somehow appropriate since they also make the people kitchen
cry ;)

On Mon, 23 May 2005 21:00:51 +0200, "Juerd" <ju...@convolution.nl> said:
> per...@warpmail.net skribis 2005-05-23 13:58 (-0500):

> > > I like "onion" the best so far.

> > How about "zephyr".
>
> The building my grandmother lives in is called Zephyr.
>
> For me, the word is strongly associated with old people, and not at all
> with programming :)
>
> While an onion has many layers that together make a single whole that
> adds taste to almost any meal, which I think is a nice view of Perl 6.

Juerd

May 23, 2005, 3:00:51 PM5/23/05
to per...@warpmail.net, Juerd, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
per...@warpmail.net skribis 2005-05-23 13:58 (-0500):
> > I like "onion" the best so far.
> How about "zephyr".

The building my grandmother lives in is called Zephyr.

For me, the word is strongly associated with old people, and not at all
with programming :)

While an onion has many layers that together make a single whole that
adds taste to almost any meal, which I think is a nice view of Perl 6.

Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon

May 23, 2005, 3:21:35 PM5/23/05
Andy Bach wrote off-list:
> Isn't Abigail the golfer, YA excellent PH, FunWithPerl, er guy?
>
> I think camels are Fido and Amelia:
> http://www.perlmonks.org/?node=31716

You're right, of course. I knew it was one of those A names...

--
Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon <br...@brentdax.com>
Perl and Parrot hacker

Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon

May 23, 2005, 3:04:54 PM5/23/05
On 5/23/05, Juerd <ju...@convolution.nl> wrote:
> Also, this new machine needs a hostname. Please help me think of a cute
> name! I prefer a short hostname with less than 9 letters.

I seem to remember that the camel's name is Abigail...

Juerd

May 23, 2005, 6:48:22 PM5/23/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org
I've been advised to make sure I get the full names of users, not just
their nicknames and e-mail addresses, for juridical purposes.

Although this can be a rather sensitive subject for some, I've chosen to
follow the advice and require that users make their full name known.

If you don't have a last|family name, get one ;)

Juerd

Etienne Laurin

May 23, 2005, 8:36:31 PM5/23/05
to Juerd, perl6-l...@perl.org
I'd love to have an account as well. username atnnn. realname Etienne Laurin.
As for the hostname, what about s6nd.perl6.nl?

Juerd

May 24, 2005, 9:44:43 AM5/24/05
to wolverian, perl6-l...@perl.org
wolverian skribis 2005-05-24 15:01 (+0300):
> > I'm currently considering 'ui', which is Dutch for 'onion'. I bet almost
> > nobody here knows how to pronounce ui ;)
> That reads 'user interface' to me, which I think isn't what we want.
> How about 'sipuli'? That's what onion is called in Finnish. :)
> Anyway, I do think the name should be English, to be as accessible as
> possible. 'Feather' is nice, and reminds me of Pugs's origins. On the
> other hand, maybe 'falcon' (as terribly cliched as it is) is more
> accurate of Pugs nowadays.

Or the other nice words for onion. It's weird that the word for onion is
funny in every language, even though they words are radically different!

I like sipuli and zwiebel, just because they're the funniest.

But I like the newly suggested "feather" better, as it can relate to
pugs AND parrot.

Juerd

Michele Dondi

May 24, 2005, 9:50:13 AM5/24/05
to wolverian, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
On Tue, 24 May 2005, wolverian wrote:

>> Portuguese: cebola
>> Finnish: sipoli

Italian: cipolla (since nobody has mentioned it yet)

Michele
--
It was part of the dissatisfaction thing. I never claimed I was a
nice person.

Michele Dondi

May 24, 2005, 10:35:26 AM5/24/05
to Herbert Snorrason, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
On Tue, 24 May 2005, Herbert Snorrason wrote:

> Icelandic: laukur (Incidentally, none of you will ever guess how to
> correctly pronounce that.)

Incidentally, would 'laukurdottir' be a proper Icelandic offence? :-)

Michele
--
Me too. If it's any comfort, just think of the design of Perl 6 as
a genetic algorithm running on a set of distributed wetware CPUs.

Mark A. Biggar

May 24, 2005, 11:32:59 AM5/24/05
wolverian wrote:

> On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 03:44:43PM +0200, Juerd wrote:
>
>>But I like the newly suggested "feather" better, as it can relate to
>>pugs AND parrot.
>

> Feather is best one thus far, I think. I like carrot too; it's more
> playful. I equate Pugs with fun a lot.

How about "budgie". a small Australian parakeet usually light green with
black and yellow markings in the wild but bred in many colors, syn:
budgerigar.

--
ma...@biggar.org
mark.a...@comcast.net

Wolverian

May 24, 2005, 11:16:06 AM5/24/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org
On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 03:44:43PM +0200, Juerd wrote:
> But I like the newly suggested "feather" better, as it can relate to
> pugs AND parrot.

Feather is best one thus far, I think. I like carrot too; it's more

playful. I equate Pugs with fun a lot.

--
wolverian

signature.asc

Jonathan Scott Duff

May 24, 2005, 11:57:00 AM5/24/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org

I think carrot is nice too. Only it makes me wonder where the stick is :)

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
du...@pobox.com

Michele Dondi

May 24, 2005, 1:30:13 PM5/24/05
to wolverian, perl6-l...@perl.org

Hmmm, but has 'carrot' anything to do with perl6 & C any more, well, apart

s/p(?=arrot)/c; # obviously

(BTW: how would that be in p6?)

Also, while I'm not fond of the vast majority of vegetables, I like onions
as an ingredient of many other good meals ('meal' is not the correct
English word for what I mean, but the correct term eludes me ATM). But can
you say the same thing of carrots?!?

Michele
--
I once heard someone say, the sum of the reciprocals
of the known primes is less than 4 - and it will always be.