Implementations until Perl 6.0.0 released?

1 view

gvim

Nov 26, 2010, 11:17:33 AM11/26/10
to perl6-l...@perl.org
I'm new to the Perl 6 lists so can someone tell me if the "implementations" of Perl 6 will eventually transition to a Perl 6.0.0 standard or will TIMTOWTDI apply to the language itself indefinitely?

gvim

yary

Nov 27, 2010, 12:33:45 PM11/27/10
to gvim, perl6-language
Roughly speaking, "will TIMTOWTDI apply to the language itself
indefinitely?" = yes.

Perl 5 is a language defined by an implementation, Perl 6 is a
language defined by a syntax and documentation. While there's no
predicting what will happen, as of now it looks like there will be a
few implementations of Perl 6- there's more than one now and nothing
to stop anyone with a good idea from starting another. On the other
hand, there are a few implementations that have already gone into
hibernation.

Jonathan Worthington

Nov 27, 2010, 12:37:25 PM11/27/10
to gvim, perl6-l...@perl.org
The implementations are aiming towards passing a common test suite[1]
and parsing Perl 6 using a standard grammar[2]. So yes, there's a common
aim. Of course, TIMTOWTDI applies to the language itself, but only
through pre-declared derivations, not "out of the box". :-)

/jnthn

Jonathan Worthington

Nov 27, 2010, 1:00:19 PM11/27/10
to gvim, perl6-l...@perl.org