Book RFC - Migrating to Perl 6

Yuval Kogman

Oct 14, 2005, 4:11:18 PM10/14/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org
I'd like to start by saying "DON'T PANIC! I'm not going to write a
book on Perl 6" ;-)

Luckily we have people with much more enlish-fu,
structured-thought-fu, and general get-it-done-fu... Now let's talk
a bit about them:

Today Geoff Broadwell raised a book idea for discussion on #perl6.

The result was this wiki page:

http://pugs.kwiki.org/?MigratingToPerl6

Essentially Geoff's idea was that the book will come out around the
same time as Perl 6.0.0, and will be the guide for perl 5
programmers looking to swallow the Perl 6 pill as easily as
possible.

The wiki page illustrates how we think it will be structured, and
how we think it should be written.

Please post feedback and criticism on the list, #perl6 or the wiki
page.

--
() Yuval Kogman <nothi...@woobling.org> 0xEBD27418 perl hacker &
/\ kung foo master: MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM: neeyah!

Rutger Vos

Oct 15, 2005, 7:39:22 AM10/15/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org
Good idea. A fat new O'reilly tome will go some way to capturing mind share
for perl6. Gathering ideas wiki-style is also very Web2.0. Perhaps perl6
could be marketed as such, what with the development style - "Perl6, the
first Web2.0 programming language".

In any case, if the book comes out around the same time Perl 6.0.0 comes out
there's still plenty of time ;-)

David Storrs

Oct 15, 2005, 12:57:39 PM10/15/05
to Perl6 Language List

On Oct 15, 2005, at 7:39 AM, Rutger Vos wrote:

> Good idea. A fat new O'reilly tome will go some way to capturing
> mind share
> for perl6. Gathering ideas wiki-style is also very Web2.0. Perhaps
> perl6
> could be marketed as such, what with the development style -
> "Perl6, the
> first Web2.0 programming language".

I would suggest we avoid trying to link Perl6 with Web2.0 in people's
minds, at least at first. One of the uphill battles that I'm really
tired of fighting is convincing people that Perl is good for more
than CGIs and quick-n-dirty system administration hacks. We don't
need to throw fuel on that fire by "nicheing" ourselves right at the
start.

--Dks

Gregory Woodhouse

Oct 15, 2005, 1:27:42 PM10/15/05
to David Storrs, Perl 6 Language

On Oct 15, 2005, at 9:57 AM, David Storrs wrote:

> I would suggest we avoid trying to link Perl6 with Web2.0 in
> people's minds, at least at first. One of the uphill battles that
> I'm really tired of fighting is convincing people that Perl is good
> for more than CGIs and quick-n-dirty system administration hacks.
> We don't need to throw fuel on that fire by "nicheing" ourselves
> right at the start.

Well, I first learned Perl (Perl 4 at the time) so that I could use
it for CGI, and my interest in Perl started to wane in part because I
had moved on to other things. I've been doing a lot of work in an
ancient language known as MUMPS for the last 10 years or so. It's a
language providing, among other things, a rich set of string handling
functions, patterns, hierarchical associative arrays, etc. Perl
seemed attractive as a more modern (read: Algol-like) alternative to
M/MUMPS. But I never ended up using it as much as I expected I would.
I think what started me looking back at Perl was developing some UI
prototypes in Java (Swing). Maybe I just don't "get it", but I found
that the degree of coupling between presentation logic and business
logic to be appalling. Despite my best efforts, adding a few fields
to a simple patient lookup seemed to involve a lot more work than it
ought to (I work on medical information systems for the U.S. Dept. of
Veterans Affairs). M. J. Dominus' book "Higher Order Perl" caught my
eye (maybe because I have long been interested in computability
theory, and maybe because I had a good time learning LISP in
college). I know that Perl isn't a functional language, but I was
very impressed with what could be done with the language. (And now
that I've learned about pugs, I wonder if maybe I shouldn't run off
and learn Haskell!) Anyway, I've been thinking a lot lately about
maintainability of large scale systems. about 5 years ago, I was
given the task of parsing through millions of lines (literally) of
source code and building what is essentially a dependency graph. That
really made an impression on me. It just seems that no one ever
should have to do anything like that.

Okay, so maybe this is another niche, but it seems to me that complex
systems (and maybe health care in particular) is a natural area for a
language like Perl, and one well removed from CGI.

===
Gregory Woodhouse
gregory....@sbcglobal.net

"Einstein was a giant. He had his head in the clouds and his feet on
the ground."
--Richard P. Feynman