reset() and S29 -- obsoleted?

Steve Peters

Mar 15, 2005, 3:39:06 PM3/15/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org
One function I noticed on the S29 list was reset(). With lexically scoped
variables, reset is almost useless. "Perl in a Nutshell" calls it "vaguely
deprecated". Can we remove the vagueness and deprcate it completely?

Steve Peters
st...@fisharerojo.org

Larry Wall

Mar 15, 2005, 5:34:29 PM3/15/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org
On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 02:39:06PM -0600, Steve Peters wrote:
: One function I noticed on the S29 list was reset(). With lexically scoped

: variables, reset is almost useless. "Perl in a Nutshell" calls it "vaguely
: deprecated". Can we remove the vagueness and deprcate it completely?

Yes, please.

Larry

Rod Adams

Mar 15, 2005, 5:45:45 PM3/15/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org
Larry Wall wrote:

I hadn't thought about it yet. I almost definitely would have come to
that conclusion.

>Yes, please.

Done.

-- Rod Adams

Uri Guttman

Mar 15, 2005, 5:44:07 PM3/15/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org

LW> On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 02:39:06PM -0600, Steve Peters wrote:

LW> : One function I noticed on the S29 list was reset(). With lexically scoped
LW> : variables, reset is almost useless. "Perl in a Nutshell" calls it "vaguely
LW> : deprecated". Can we remove the vagueness and deprcate it completely?

LW> Yes, please.

i have seen p5 newbies ask about using it. oy!!

uri

--
Uri Guttman ------ u...@stemsystems.com -------- http://www.stemsystems.com

Larry Wall

Mar 15, 2005, 6:58:10 PM3/15/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org
On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 05:44:07PM -0500, Uri Guttman wrote:
: >>>>> "LW" == Larry Wall <la...@wall.org> writes:
:
: LW> On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 02:39:06PM -0600, Steve Peters wrote:
:
: LW> : One function I noticed on the S29 list was reset(). With lexically scoped
: LW> : variables, reset is almost useless. "Perl in a Nutshell" calls it "vaguely
: LW> : deprecated". Can we remove the vagueness and deprcate it completely?
:
: LW> Yes, please.
:
: i have seen p5 newbies ask about using it. oy!!

There will probably be an emulation of it written in support of the
translator, but we don't have to make it terribly easy to get at, and
we can even require them to say:

use DEPRECATED_PERL_5_FEATURES <__p5_resetmatch__ __p5_resetvars__>;

up at the top. Of course it's no pain for the translator to insert
something like that when it needs to.

Larry