replacement of $

Larry Wall

Apr 1, 2006, 6:04:19 PM4/1/06
to perl6-l...@perl.org

Recently I had time to think about the $ symbol we use in Perl.

I think Perl has been using the USD symbol for too long, and I'm now sure
that it's time to replace it. After some research I came to the conclusion
that the best fit is the euro symbol (€).

So, spread the word, Perl 6 will require you to replace all the $ in your
scripts with €. That's just a regex after all...

Darren Duncan

Apr 1, 2006, 6:42:11 PM4/1/06
to perl6-l...@perl.org

But $ isn't specifically a USD symbol. Its used
by Canada and Australia too, if not more places.
Its multi-country like the Euro is.

Perhaps what we need is a more universal currency. I suggest gold.

So every relevant symbol name could start with
'Au' instead of '$', and an advantage of this is
that it is still easy to type on any keyboard.

-- Darren Duncan

Larry Wall

Apr 1, 2006, 6:48:59 PM4/1/06
to perl6-l...@perl.org
On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 03:11:27PM -0800, Larry Wall wrote:
:
:
: Recently I had time to think about the $ symbol we use in Perl.

Hmm, like anyone's going to believe you...

Anyone can forge Larry-like email. Look how easy it is for *me* to
forge email from Larry even though I'm in Japan right now. All you
have to do is end most of your paragraphs with ... and throw in a
few Hmms here and there....

And then there's all these checkins I've been forging from Audrey.
Piece o' cake...

Now, gettin' myself made up to look like Larry for the Bugs Manifesto,
that was a wee bit more challenging, but I think most people were fooled...

TomTiady, AKA 落第の駱駝, AKA Larry Boy (the tsukemono, not the pickle)

Larry Wall

Apr 1, 2006, 6:55:17 PM4/1/06
to perl6-l...@perl.org
On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 03:42:11PM -0800, Darren Duncan wrote:
: Perhaps what we need is a more universal currency. I suggest gold.

:
: So every relevant symbol name could start with
: 'Au' instead of '$', and an advantage of this is
: that it is still easy to type on any keyboard.

For those of us without ASCII keyboards, it'd be a lot easier to type ⾦.

Larry (the real one (really! (heh, heh)))

ja...@mastros.biz

Apr 1, 2006, 7:38:15 PM4/1/06

In case you were wondering, U+2FA6 KANGXI RADICAL GOLD.

-=- James Mastros

Yuval Kogman

Apr 2, 2006, 12:23:28 AM4/2/06
to Larry Wall, perl6-l...@perl.org
On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 02:04:07 +0300, Larry Wall wrote:
^^^^^^^-- (actually that was IDT in the headers)

> Hi,
> I'm in Israel and Japan at the same time!

Nice one though ;-)

<plug>If you guys would have participated in the keysigning
parties...</plug>

--
Yuval Kogman <nothi...@woobling.org>
http://nothingmuch.woobling.org 0xEBD27418