S02 - s/environmental variables/environment variables/g please

Randal L. Schwartz

Apr 29, 2006, 10:50:02 AM4/29/06
to perl6-l...@perl.org

Please, let us agree to use the traditional name of "environment variables" in
the docs, and not re-introduce its bastardized cousin, which hurts my ears.
Thanks.

<mer...@stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>

ja...@mastros.biz

Apr 29, 2006, 11:07:15 AM4/29/06
to Randal L. Schwartz, perl6-l...@perl.org
On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 07:50:02AM -0700, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> Please, let us agree to use the traditional name of "environment variables" in
> the docs, and not re-introduce its bastardized cousin, which hurts my ears.
> Thanks.
I think they are different things. An "environment variable" is something
in %*ENV. An "environmental variable" is a variable which was declared with
env $foo, and which can be seen by callers.

I rather dislike this naming scheme, but can't think of a better one.

-=- James Mastros

Randal L. Schwartz

Apr 29, 2006, 11:11:33 AM4/29/06
to ja...@mastros.biz, perl6-l...@perl.org

james> I think they are different things. An "environment variable" is
james> something in %*ENV. An "environmental variable" is a variable which
james> was declared with env $foo, and which can be seen by callers.

If they both have "env"-ish stuff in the name, let's use the same
name for both. If they are far enough apart that they should be
distinct, call them something different.

But to have %*ENV be called "environment variables" while "env $foo" be called
"environmental variables", you're cruisin' for a world of hurt, and I say this
as someone who will have to document this and teach this to a group of newbies
for every week of my upcoming life.