A GraphViz eye view of Parrot

Allison Randal

Jan 31, 2006, 7:26:28 PM1/31/06
to Internals List
This'll likely be out-of-date tomorrow, but I found it useful as a
quick snapshot/overview of the Parrot repository.

http://www.lohutok.net/parrot.pdf (200k)

Allison

Allison Randal

Feb 1, 2006, 4:39:55 PM2/1/06
to Internals List

Sadly, it doesn't display in acrobat, but is fine in xpdf and
Preview.app. Here's the generated GraphViz .dot source file, if
anyone's interested:

http://www.lohutok.net/parrot.dot (400k)

Allison

Nicholas Clark

Feb 3, 2006, 3:38:42 PM2/3/06
to Allison Randal, Internals List
On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 01:39:55PM -0800, Allison Randal wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2006, at 16:26, Allison Randal wrote:
>
> >This'll likely be out-of-date tomorrow, but I found it useful as a
> >quick snapshot/overview of the Parrot repository.

The process used to created it isn't amenable to automation into a cron job?

> > http://www.lohutok.net/parrot.pdf (200k)
>
> Sadly, it doesn't display in acrobat, but is fine in xpdf and

For some values of xpdf :-(

xpdf 1.00 and 1.01 both fail for me with:

X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 53 (X_CreatePixmap)
Serial number of failed request: 303

so I guess that whatever xpdf needs to do to display it is an utter resource
hog and wants way more than either of my rather old machines that act as X
servers can actually provide.

Maybe acrobat is also failing due to blowing some internal resource limits.

Nicholas Clark

Allison Randal

Feb 5, 2006, 2:18:59 AM2/5/06
to Nicholas Clark, Internals List
On Feb 3, 2006, at 12:38, Nicholas Clark wrote:

>>> This'll likely be out-of-date tomorrow, but I found it useful as a
>>> quick snapshot/overview of the Parrot repository.
>
> The process used to created it isn't amenable to automation into a
> cron job?

It's just a Perl script, so yeah, could be done. Is it valuable
enough to spend the time? I was thinking of it as more of a one-off
for the heck of it.

> so I guess that whatever xpdf needs to do to display it is an utter
> resource
> hog and wants way more than either of my rather old machines that
> act as X
> servers can actually provide.
>
> Maybe acrobat is also failing due to blowing some internal resource
> limits.

Very possibly. It is an absolutely massive PDF (in dimensions, not
file size). I can tell GraphViz to split the PDF over multiple pages,
but that would be harder to follow. PNG output might be more
friendly, but the file will be much larger to download.

Allison

Nicholas Clark

Feb 5, 2006, 6:38:37 AM2/5/06
On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 11:18:59PM -0800, Allison Randal wrote:

> It's just a Perl script, so yeah, could be done. Is it valuable
> enough to spend the time? I was thinking of it as more of a one-off
> for the heck of it.

I don't know, and I'm not in a good position to judge given that I've not
yet convinced any of my hardware to display it for me.

No-one else has commented, let alone expressed interest in playing with the
script themselves, so current feedback seems to be "not really worth it".
Particularly as I'm inferring that time spent on this reduces time spent on
Punie. (And as I've not had occasion to say it before, thanks for all the
time you're donating to Punie and the tools it creates)

Nicholas Clark

Dakkar

Feb 5, 2006, 8:56:00 AM2/5/06
to Internals List
Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 11:18:59PM -0800, Allison Randal wrote:
>> It's just a Perl script, so yeah, could be done. Is it valuable
>> enough to spend the time? I was thinking of it as more of a one-off
>> for the heck of it.
> I don't know, and I'm not in a good position to judge given that I've not
> yet convinced any of my hardware to display it for me.

I did, and the big problem is that it has a size of 106967 x 2031 pts,
which I think translates to 1485 x 28 inches. This not only makes it
hard to display, but also hard to follow...

I might try to convice dot to lay it out a bit more clearly. I don't
promise anything (I'm not a GraphViz expert by any stretch of the
definition), but it might be fun to try.

--
Dakkar - <Mobilis in mobile>
GPG public key fingerprint = A071 E618 DD2C 5901 9574

signature.asc

Allison Randal

Feb 6, 2006, 2:58:55 PM2/6/06
to dakkar, Internals List
On Feb 5, 2006, at 5:56, dakkar wrote:

> I did, and the big problem is that it has a size of 106967 x 2031 pts,
> which I think translates to 1485 x 28 inches. This not only makes it
> hard to display, but also hard to follow...

That's more a result of Parrot than it is of any particular diagram
format. For me, this was actually the most valuable result of the
display. It's easy to look at the top level directory of Parrot and
think it's simple. But, the code base is quite large, with intricate
interlocking pieces. (The diagram was a side-shoot off working on an
architectural overview.)

As a side note in the useless statistics department: for some strange
reason, a very high percentage of Parrot's files are 3 levels down
from the root.

> I might try to convice dot to lay it out a bit more clearly. I don't
> promise anything (I'm not a GraphViz expert by any stretch of the
> definition), but it might be fun to try.

There are some things you can do to group sections of the graph into
boxes, etc. If you start with the .dot file I posted and send me a
diff of your changes, I'll work them into the script.

Allison

smit...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2006, 6:31:28 AM2/8/06
Had to rotate it left to see the full image.
Is that a source tree, or a profile of a mountain range? ;)
Back to lurking,
Chris