[perl #41871] [BUG]: t/pmc/metaclass.t fails on Darwin

James Keenan

Mar 16, 2007, 10:09:33 PM3/16/07
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by James Keenan
# Please include the string: [perl #41871]

Twice in the past two days I have encountered this failure while
running 'make test':

[fresh] 539 $ prove -v t/pmc/metaclass.t
t/pmc/metaclass....1..9
ok 1 - new
ok 2 - Class PMC has "I am a class" flag set
ok 3 - name
ok 4 - new
ok 5 - attributes

# Failed test (t/pmc/metaclass.t at line 161)
# got: 'ok 1 - add_attribute() with no args fails
# not ok 2 - add_attribute() with unknown type fails
# clone() not implemented in class 'MetaAttribute'
# current instr.: 'test' pc -12635520 ((unknown file):-1)
# called from Sub 'test' pc 71 (/Users/jimk/work/fresh/t/pmc/
metaclass_6.pir:21)
# '
# expected: 'ok 1 - add_attribute() with no args fails
# ok 2 - add_attribute() with unknown type fails
# ok 3 - add_attribute() with valid args adds an attribute
# ok 4 - add_attribute() with existing attribute name fails
# '
# './parrot "/Users/jimk/work/fresh/t/pmc/metaclass_6.pir"' failed
with exit code 1
not ok 6 - add_attribute
ok 7 - set_attr/get_attr VTABLE methods
ok 8 - parents
ok 9 - roles
# Looks like you failed 1 test of 9.
dubious
Test returned status 1 (wstat 256, 0x100)
DIED. FAILED test 6
Failed 1/9 tests, 88.89% okay
Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail List of Failed
-------
t/pmc/metaclass.t 1 256 9 1 6
Failed 1/1 test scripts. 1/9 subtests failed.
Files=1, Tests=9, 4 wallclock secs ( 0.43 cusr + 0.52 csys = 0.95
CPU)
Failed 1/1 test programs. 1/9 subtests failed.

(The second time was after a fresh checkout from HEAD.)

kid51

myconfig

James Keenan via RT

Mar 17, 2007, 8:47:13 AM3/17/07
to perl6-i...@perl.org
On Fri Mar 16 19:09:33 2007, jk...@verizon.net wrote:
> Twice in the past two days I have encountered this failure while
> running 'make test':
>
> [fresh] 539 $ prove -v t/pmc/metaclass.t
> t/pmc/metaclass....1..9

On #parrot, Jonathan indicated this test is expected to fail. If there is no spec clarification by
the end of today's Bug Day, it will be TODO-ed.

Chromatic

Mar 17, 2007, 2:20:16 PM3/17/07
to perl6-i...@perl.org
On Saturday 17 March 2007 05:47, James Keenan via RT wrote:

> On #parrot, Jonathan indicated this test is expected to fail. If there is
> no spec clarification by the end of today's Bug Day, it will be TODO-ed.

No more expected failures that are not TODOs.

We've wasting enough volunteer time trying to debug expected failures.

We have TODO tests for a reason--so if you know a test will fail and you check
it in anyway, make it a TODO test. The rest of us can't read your mind.

-- c

Jonathan Worthington

Mar 17, 2007, 9:12:17 PM3/17/07
to chromatic, perl6-i...@perl.org
chromatic wrote:
> On Saturday 17 March 2007 05:47, James Keenan via RT wrote:
>

>> On #parrot, Jonathan indicated this test is expected to fail. If there is
>> no spec clarification by the end of today's Bug Day, it will be TODO-ed.
>>

> No more expected failures that are not TODOs.

I think that's a good idea, yes.

> We've wasting enough volunteer time trying to debug expected failures.

Turns out I'm one volunteer who's been trying to get this resolved. In
fact, there were more failing tests in that file that I worked to
resolve already. If you look in the test file, there's comments that
make it clear that the issue is a question on the spec. Perhaps I
shoulda marked the test todo earlier on when I knew I was waiting on an
answer to what the correct behavior should have been.

> We have TODO tests for a reason--so if you know a test will fail and you check it in anyway, make it a TODO test. The rest of us can't read your mind.

Not to pass the buck or anything, but it wasn't me that wrote and
checked in the test in the first place, I'm just working on the issue
raised by the test. I'd prefer that you just ranted about issues rather
than at/about individuals, but if you must at least bother to figure out
who to rant at.

Jonathan

Chromatic

Mar 17, 2007, 10:43:45 PM3/17/07
to Jonathan Worthington, perl6-i...@perl.org
On Saturday 17 March 2007 18:12, Jonathan Worthington wrote:

> Not to pass the buck or anything, but it wasn't me that wrote and
> checked in the test in the first place, I'm just working on the issue
> raised by the test. I'd prefer that you just ranted about issues rather
> than at/about individuals, but if you must at least bother to figure out
> who to rant at.

I didn't mean to single you out, and I apologize; I don't particularly care
who checks it in. I've checked in a few failures myself, but we really
oughtn't do it unless the fix comes in within minutes.

-- c

James Keenan via RT

Jul 8, 2007, 10:33:09 PM7/8/07
to perl6-i...@perl.org
t/pmc/metaclass.t was dropped from the Parrot distribution not long
after this ticket was filed.