[perl #41497] [TODO] config - profiling options are specific to gcc in config/init/defaults.pm

Paul Cochrane

Feb 13, 2007, 11:06:53 AM2/13/07
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by Paul Cochrane
# Please include the string: [perl #41497]

The profiling options used in config/init/defaults.pm are specific to
gcc. This should probably be specified in the relevant hints file.

Mark Glines

Jun 25, 2007, 12:19:40 AM6/25/07
to parrotbug...@parrotcode.org, perl6-i...@perl.org
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 21:13:14 -0700
"James Keenan via RT" <parrotbug...@parrotcode.org> wrote:
> The profiling options code in config/init/defaults.pm reads:
>
> if ( $conf->options->get('profile') ) {
> $conf->data->set(
> cc_debug => " -pg ",
> ld_debug => " -pg ",
> );
> }
>
> Can anyone confirm that these are indeed gcc-specific? Thanks.

This flag convinces gcc to generate profiling code specifically for
the GNU profiler, "gprof". I find it *extremely* unlikely that this
flag would be available and/or mean the same thing for other compilers,
but I do not currently have any others to test with.

Mark

James Keenan via RT

Jun 25, 2007, 12:13:14 AM6/25/07
to perl6-i...@perl.org
On Tue Feb 13 08:06:53 2007, ptc wrote:
> The profiling options used in config/init/defaults.pm are specific to
> gcc. This should probably be specified in the relevant hints file.

The profiling options code in config/init/defaults.pm reads:

if ( $conf->options->get('profile') ) {
$conf->data->set(
cc_debug => " -pg ",
ld_debug => " -pg ",
);
}

Can anyone confirm that these are indeed gcc-specific? Thanks.

kid51

Andy Dougherty

Jul 2, 2007, 12:00:39 PM7/2/07
to Perl6 Internals

Yes. They are gcc-specific. A plain -p is common on Unix systems, but
-pg is gcc-specific. For example, with Sun's C compiler, -xpg would be
the equivalent flag. (Though Sun's C compiler also has other profile
options selected by -xprofile. I haven't looked at them in ages, so I
can't tell you anything useful about them.)

--
Andy Dougherty doug...@lafayette.edu