[perl #39845] [TODO] Better IMCC Errors: unexpected IDENTIFIER

Matt Diephouse

Jul 16, 2006, 2:35:50 AM7/16/06
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by Matt Diephouse
# Please include the string: [perl #39845]

When IMCC encounters an unexpected identifier, it throws an error,
but it doesn't say what the unexpected identifier was. This is
painful for debugging compilers and should be fixed.

mini:~/Projects/parrot mdiep$ cat test.pir
.sub main :main
$I0 = $I1 - foo
end
.end

mini:~/Projects/parrot mdiep$ parrot test.pir
error:imcc:syntax error, unexpected IDENTIFIER
in file 'test.pir' line 2
mini:~/Projects/parrot mdiep$

--
Matt Diephouse

Klaas-Jan Stol via RT

Nov 13, 2007, 3:09:45 PM11/13/07
to perl6-i...@perl.org
On Thu Nov 08 12:14:15 2007, kjs wrote:

> On Sat Jul 15 23:35:50 2006, mdiep wrote:
> > When IMCC encounters an unexpected identifier, it throws an error,
> > but it doesn't say what the unexpected identifier was. This is
> > painful for debugging compilers and should be fixed.
> >
> > mini:~/Projects/parrot mdiep$ cat test.pir
> > .sub main :main
> > $I0 = $I1 - foo
> > end
> > .end
> >
> > mini:~/Projects/parrot mdiep$ parrot test.pir
> > error:imcc:syntax error, unexpected IDENTIFIER
> > in file 'test.pir' line 2
> > mini:~/Projects/parrot mdiep$
> >

> The example now outputs (since a few months already):
>
> error:imcc:syntax error, unexpected IDENTIFIER ('foo')
> in file 'test1.pir' line 2
>

> Is this sufficient? Can this ticket be closed?
>
> kjs

forgot to cc the list. See my previous comment.
kjs

Klaas-Jan Stol via RT

Feb 22, 2008, 4:02:16 AM2/22/08
to perl6-i...@perl.org
(forgot to cc list first time, you'll see this text twice in the ticket
history)

this issue seems to be resolved.

no reply was given on an earlier suggestion to close this ticket (i
probably forgot to cc the list)

I suggest to close this ticket.