Re: [perl #37336] [RESOLVED] [BUG] Parrot 0.3.0 t/pmc/io.t assert core dump

Jarkko Hietaniemi

Oct 15, 2005, 4:09:38 AM10/15/05
to parrotbug...@parrotcode.org
Joshua Hoblitt via RT wrote:
> According to our records, your request regarding
> "[BUG] Parrot 0.3.0 t/pmc/io.t assert core dump"
> has been resolved.

According to my records, it's a TODO test and therefore not quite
yet resolved :-)

> If you have any further questions or concerns, please respond to this message.
>
> For other topics, please create a new ticket.
>
> Please don't feel obligated to say "Thanks" or "Kudos" or "I owe you a beer" -- if you respond to this message it will reopen the ticket. If you must, please send email directly to the person who handled your ticket, and not to the tracking system.

Joshua Hoblitt

Oct 17, 2005, 6:15:41 AM10/17/05
to j...@iki.fi, parrotbug...@parrotcode.org
On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 11:09:38AM +0300, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> Joshua Hoblitt via RT wrote:
> > According to our records, your request regarding
> > "[BUG] Parrot 0.3.0 t/pmc/io.t assert core dump"
> > has been resolved.
>
> According to my records, it's a TODO test and therefore not quite
> yet resolved :-)

It's a test failure for unimplemented feature(s). There is already a
TODO ticket (bug #31178) that ruffly covers this. Can you make a case
for why it needs to be to tracked as a software defect?

Cheers,

-J

Jarkko Hietaniemi

Oct 17, 2005, 1:39:13 PM10/17/05
to parrotbug...@parrotcode.org, j...@iki.fi
Joshua Hoblitt via RT wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 11:09:38AM +0300, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
>
>>Joshua Hoblitt via RT wrote:
>>
>>>According to our records, your request regarding
>>> "[BUG] Parrot 0.3.0 t/pmc/io.t assert core dump"
>>>has been resolved.
>>
>>According to my records, it's a TODO test and therefore not quite
>>yet resolved :-)
>

> It's a test failure for unimplemented feature(s). There is already a
> TODO ticket (bug #31178) that ruffly covers this. Can you make a case
> for why it needs to be to tracked as a software defect?

A core dump is a software defect, an unacceptable failure, doesn't
matter whether it is from an assert or not. If Parrot's
development thinks differently or uses different terms, fine,
close the ticket.

> Cheers,
>
> -J

Leopold Toetsch

Oct 18, 2005, 6:54:03 AM10/18/05
Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> Joshua Hoblitt via RT wrote:

>>It's a test failure for unimplemented feature(s). There is already a
>>TODO ticket (bug #31178) that ruffly covers this. Can you make a case
>>for why it needs to be to tracked as a software defect?
>
> A core dump is a software defect, an unacceptable failure, doesn't
> matter whether it is from an assert or not. If Parrot's
> development thinks differently or uses different terms, fine,
> close the ticket.

The core dump is caused by a TODO test, which tests 'features' that will
be removed anyway. The test does something like:

new P0, Undef
read S0, P0, 1

Citing chip from the other ticket #31178:

[TODO] IO - off with its head! er, opcodes!

IO doesn't belong as opcodes.

Design a standard IO library ... base it on something sane that already
exists ... and get all those IO functions the heck out of our opcode
space.

---

That means, that the C<read> opcode (and some other IO opcodes) will be
removed and replaced by a ParrotIO method. Calling "read" on a PMC that
can't "read" will just throw a "method not found" exception and this
case is resolved.

Anybody might decide, how many open tickets we need for this, and how
severe this one segfault is.

leo