PGE/TGE and the future.

Kevin Tew

Jul 28, 2006, 10:46:50 AM7/28/06
to parrot-...@perl.org
I'm seeking information regarding TGE's design goals, aspirations,
future plans, etc.

I see that Perl6 implements its own version of PAST and POST nodes.
Is it possible to share basic PAST and POST nodes and extend them for
particular HLL needs?
I know that different HLLs share a lot of the same semantics, they
also have huge differences.

If there is a common set of goals or objectives for compiler tools that
Cardinal can contribute to or utilize, I would like to do so.
This is an offer to help build and test the compiler tools. :)

I just want to start a discussion about compiler tools and learn what
information, I've missed.

Kevin

Allison Randal

Jul 29, 2006, 9:00:27 PM7/29/06
to Kevin Tew, parrot-...@perl.org
Kevin Tew wrote:
> I'm seeking information regarding TGE's design goals, aspirations,
> future plans, etc.
>
> I see that Perl6 implements its own version of PAST and POST nodes.
> Is it possible to share basic PAST and POST nodes and extend them for
> particular HLL needs?
> I know that different HLLs share a lot of the same semantics, they
> also have huge differences.

The plan is that there will be a single set of OST node classes used by
all languages. Vishal Soni is currently working on this, as well as on a
OST-to-bytecode compile solution.

There will be a default set of AST node classes used by many languages,
but we anticipate that some languages will extend the set or even define
a completely different set.

> If there is a common set of goals or objectives for compiler tools that
> Cardinal can contribute to or utilize, I would like to do so.
> This is an offer to help build and test the compiler tools. :)

This is the first draft of the compiler tools plan, which I wrote just
as I started developing TGE:

<http://www.parrotcode.org/docs/compiler_tools.html>

It needs to be updated. Patrick has volunteered to draft the update as
the first step toward converting it to a compiler tools PDD.

> I just want to start a discussion about compiler tools and learn what
> information, I've missed.

Mainly what you've missed is a whole pile of conversations between
myself and Patrick over the past year. We'll be moving those out into
the public now, especially as we review the PDD. In the mean time, there
are a number of tasks to be completed on the compiler tools and some of
those can be delegated. The greatest contribution to the compiler tools
may be working on language implementations, since that's where we get to
test the tools, see where they need to be expanded, and where they need
to be smoothed out.

Allison