[perl #41329] [BUG]: Imposition of coding standards breaks tests in t/tools/pmc2cutils/

James Keenan

Jan 23, 2007, 7:31:40 PM1/23/07
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by James Keenan
# Please include the string: [perl #41329]

FILES AFFECTED:

t/tools/pmc2cutils/00-qualify.t
t/tools/pmc2cutils/01-pmc2cutils.t
t/tools/pmc2cutils/02-find_file.t
t/tools/pmc2cutils/03-dump_vtable.t
t/tools/pmc2cutils/04-dump_pmc.t
t/tools/pmc2cutils/05-gen_c.t
t/tools/pmc2cutils/06-print_tree.t
t/tools/pmc2cutils/07-open_file.t

HOW BUG IS MANIFEST:

After running Configure.pl, but before running make, call either:

make buildtools_tests

or

prove -v t/tools/pmc2cutils/*.t

You will get the output in the attachment.

ANALYSIS:

In r16751, certain code was repositioned to conform with Parrot
coding standards. However, when repositioning code in test files,
one is well advised to re-run the tests to see if they all still
pass. This apparently was not done. If they had been done, it would
have been evident that calling 'use strict' before the BEGIN block --
with no other changes -- was ill advised.

I will try to repair the damage consistent with the coding standards.

kid51

23.01.2007.make.buildtools_tests.txt

James Keenan via RT

Jan 23, 2007, 8:36:05 PM1/23/07
to perl6-i...@perl.org
In each of the 7 affected test files, the initial mention of $topdir in the BEGIN block was replaced
by 'our $topdir'. These tests now pass when run via 'make buildtools_tests' or 'prove t/tools/
pmc2cutils/*.t' after running 'Configure.pl' but before running 'make'. I also ran 'make'
successfully. I ran 'make test' (which does not include the 'buildtools_tests'). That ran with one
error -- the well-known (at least to me!) error in t/shootout about which I have filed a separate
bug ticket.

See the attached patch. Since, when I apply this patch, it will be my first patch directly to trunk
(thanks for the commit bit, particle!), I would like some other eyeballs to look at it first and
provide feedback as needed.

Thank you very much.
kid51

t.tools.pmc2cutils.t.patch.txt

Paul Cochrane

Jan 24, 2007, 2:28:26 AM1/24/07
to perl6-i...@perl.org, bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
James,

> In r16751, certain code was repositioned to conform with Parrot
> coding standards. However, when repositioning code in test files,
> one is well advised to re-run the tests to see if they all still
> pass. This apparently was not done. If they had been done, it would
> have been evident that calling 'use strict' before the BEGIN block --
> with no other changes -- was ill advised.

I did rereun the tests otherwise I wouldn't have done the commit.
However, as you mention, make test is insufficient. I will broaden
the tests I run now, and this won't happen again. I apologise (again)
for the coding standards changes getting in people's way.

Paul

James Keenan via RT

Feb 3, 2007, 12:03:44 PM2/3/07
to perl6-i...@perl.org
Tests have been corrected and now pass again. People are aware of problem. Closing ticket.