[perl #38429] [BUG] --parrot_is_shared=0 and dynpmc

Leopold Toetsch

Feb 4, 2006, 11:42:12 AM2/4/06
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by Leopold Toetsch
# Please include the string: [perl #38429]

Platform x86/linux

Compiling a static Parrot simplifies debugging, e.g. for setting
breakpoints. But it doesn't play nicely with dynamic extensions.

$ ./parrot -w t/dynpmc/foo_1.pir
Couldn't load 'foo.so': libparrot.so.0.4.1: cannot open shared object file

It works only with

$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=blib/lib ./parrot ...

leo

Nick Glencross

Feb 4, 2006, 6:37:36 PM2/4/06
to perl6-i...@perl.org, bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org, Leopold Toetsch

I'm pretty certain that after a fresh build things works perfectly, but
my hunch is that the dynpmcs aren't forced to relink after a Configure.

I've just checked, and although they seem to be recopied into
runtime/parrot/ dynext, the timestamps don't change in src/dynpmc.

I suspect that the proper solution is to enhance 'needs_build' in
tools/build/dynpmc.pl to take into account whether Configure has been
rerun. I can propose a solution to this tomorrow, unless there are any
other takers...

Nick

Leopold Toetsch

Feb 4, 2006, 8:33:03 PM2/4/06
to Nick Glencross, perl6-i...@perl.org, bugs-bi...@netlabs.develooper.com

On Feb 5, 2006, at 0:37, Nick Glencross wrote:

> Leopold Toetsch (via RT) wrote:

>> Compiling a static Parrot simplifies debugging, e.g. for setting
>> breakpoints. But it doesn't play nicely with dynamic extensions.

> I'm pretty certain that after a fresh build things works perfectly,

> but my hunch is that the dynpmcs aren't forced to relink after a
> Configure.

Oh well. You are right, sorry. I did use the new 'make archclean' make
target, which is supposed to clean such files, but obviously doesn't.
Keeping the from .pmc generated .c files still saves a lot of build
time, so I think, this clean target just need fixes.

> Nick

leo

Joshua Isom

Feb 4, 2006, 10:14:16 PM2/4/06
to Leopold Toetsch, Perl 6 Internals
I sent a patch into rt, #38405, to address the make archclean issues,
so people could try it out. I'd only tested it on freebsd and darwin
and my main concern was with win32. It does a lot of restructuring to
help make it easier, and I wasn't sure how it'd be with windows.