{null,parrot,installable}_config.o

Florian Ragwitz

Feb 6, 2006, 10:29:14 AM2/6/06
to perl6-i...@perl.org
Hello *,

I'm the Debian maintainer of pugs and parrot and I experience problems
with the latest pugs when being linked to parrot. I get linker errors
because of Parrot_set_config_hash being not defined.

That's right, as we currently link the *_config.o object files into the
executables and not into libparrot.

So what I'd like to do is getting set_config_hash into libparrot as
installing extra object files for the config so other applications can
embed parrot obviously sucks.

So how can we do that?

a) We could relink libparrot when being installed.

I don't think this is a good solution as this is pretty hacky and may
cause lots of problems.

b) We could introduce another blib/lib directory (blib/installable_lib?)

It would contain libparrot linked against installable_config.o and
will be the libparrot that'll get installed during make install
instead of blib/lib/*. This is a better solution than a), IMHO, but
still doesn't feel "clean".

c) Merge parrot_config and installable_config

The only difference between those two seems to be the prefix setting.
This is set to $PWD for parrot_config and isn't set for
installable_config. Why is that needed? Does anything use it?

I'd suggest to somehow merge the differences between those two config
files and link it into libparrot. This would depend on linking
$(MINIPARROT) statically against $(O_FILES) and src/null_config.o,
which was planed anyway.

This is my currently prefered solution.

d) Any other ideas?

What do you think about the above? How could we solve the issue?

-Flo

--
BOFH excuse #345:
Having to manually track the satellite.

signature.asc

Leopold Toetsch

Feb 8, 2006, 2:22:10 AM2/8/06
to Florian Ragwitz, perl6-i...@perl.org

On Feb 6, 2006, at 16:29, Florian Ragwitz wrote:

> c) Merge parrot_config and installable_config
>
> The only difference between those two seems to be the prefix
> setting.
> This is set to $PWD for parrot_config and isn't set for
> installable_config.

The prefix points to the directory, where Parrot searches for runtime/*
files. It should be set for installable_config too of course.

$ make installable_parrot
$ ./installable_parrot --runtime-prefix
/usr/local

> -Flo

leo

Florian Ragwitz

Feb 9, 2006, 8:52:47 AM2/9/06
to Leopold Toetsch, perl6-i...@perl.org

Ah, I've missed that it is set to the install prefix overriden with $PWD
later in config_lib.pasm.

So.. what's your prefered solution to the problem? Or maybe you have
another idea?

-Flo

--
BOFH excuse #396: