Source cleanup ideas (pending STM merge)

Chip Salzenberg

Jul 17, 2006, 10:22:53 PM7/17/06
to parrot-...@perl.org, Charles Reiss
I've got a few source cleanups in mind, and I figured I'd share the ideas
I have kicking around my head, and ask if anyone else has been thinking of
cleanups as well.

Note that I don't want to make the eventual STM merge more difficult than
necessary, so I don't think we can make these cleanups yet, particularly
because these cleanups are mostly around the interpreter structure, which of
course is everywhere.

Ideas I've got:

* standarizing on "interp" or maybe even "intr" as the interpreter
variable, for brevity & consistency

* a macro for declaring the interpreter argument, and maybe a macro for
passing it

(BTW, our Perl experience teaches us that somebody is going to
want to make the interpreter a C++ object for Windows environments,
and it wouldn't hurt to make that possible, or at least work in that
direction, as long as clarity doesn't suffer)

* eliminating the CONTEXT(interp->ctx)->foo usage in favor of the
much simpler interp->ctx->foo , or similar simplification

* automated processing that would make a macro to let us write
somefunc(interp,a,b,c)
while the linkage is
Parrot_somefunc(interp,a,b,c)
for namespace cleanup

Once the STM merge is done, I will enjoy crying "Havoc!" and letting slip
the cage cleaners of war.
--
Chip Salzenberg <ch...@pobox.com>

Andy Lester

Jul 17, 2006, 10:38:22 PM7/17/06
to Chip Salzenberg, parrot-...@perl.org, Charles Reiss

On Jul 17, 2006, at 9:22 PM, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> Ideas I've got:
>
> * standarizing on "interp" or maybe even "intr" as the interpreter
> variable, for brevity & consistency

Yeah, that one's bugged me, too.

I've dumped all your suggestions into cage/todo.pod. Thanks for
taking the time to write them up so that I can format them in POD and
make it look like I'm smart.

xoxo,
Andy

--
Andy Lester => an...@petdance.com => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance

Chip Salzenberg

Jul 17, 2006, 11:03:58 PM7/17/06
to Andy Lester, parrot-...@perl.org, Charles Reiss
On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 09:38:22PM -0500, Andy Lester wrote:
> I've dumped all your suggestions into cage/todo.pod.

Thanks. That you're editing cage and herding the cage cleaners is a load
off my mind.
--
Chip Salzenberg <ch...@pobox.com>

Andy Lester

Jul 17, 2006, 11:07:15 PM7/17/06
to parrot-...@perl.org

On Jul 17, 2006, at 10:03 PM, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

>> I've dumped all your suggestions into cage/todo.pod.
>
> Thanks. That you're editing cage and herding the cage cleaners is
> a load
> off my mind.

That's my job. I flap my lips a lot, stir the soup, organize it, and
hand it off to other people.

I am manager, hear me roar.