Can Parrot and Perl6 run on z/OS UNIX?

1 view

Sastry

Jan 28, 2006, 2:02:09 AM1/28/06
to perl6-i...@perl.org
Hi

The Parrot documet says that "Parrot compiles and runs on a large
number of platforms, including all common ones. The Parrot team is
committed to supporting the following combinations as "core
platforms": Linux (x86), Cygwin, Win32, Tru64, OpenVMS (Alpha),
Solaris (Sparc), FreeBSD (x86)."

a)Can Parrot and Perl6 run on z/OS UNIX as well? If so what is the
support currently available?
b)Are the features currently available will also be present for z/OS UNIX?
c)Are there any architecture dependency issues?

Thanks in advance

regards
Ravi Sastry

Jonathan Worthington

Jan 28, 2006, 7:30:48 AM1/28/06
to Sastry, perl6-i...@perl.org
"Sastry" <ravis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Parrot documet says that "Parrot compiles and runs on a large
> number of platforms, including all common ones. The Parrot team is
> committed to supporting the following combinations as "core
> platforms": Linux (x86), Cygwin, Win32, Tru64, OpenVMS (Alpha),
> Solaris (Sparc), FreeBSD (x86)."
>
> a)Can Parrot and Perl6 run on z/OS UNIX as well? If so what is the
> support currently available?
At the moment I don't see anything specific with regrad to z/OS in the
config system, so I guess we currently may not be able to build Parrot
there. If you have access to a z/OS box and wish to have a play to see how
far you can get, please do - I imagine folks here, myself included, will be
happy to offer hints to get around any tricky areas and apply patches you
send in (provided they are sane) to support z/OS. Please also see:-
http://www.parrotcode.org/docs/porting_intro.html
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/unix/bpxa1por.html

> b)Are the features currently available will also be present for z/OS UNIX?

Again, with someone with sufficient time, skill and access to a z/OS box,
any features that z/OS can support should be possible.

> c)Are there any architecture dependency issues?

I'm not sure what (if any) EBCDIC platforms we support at the moment; there
may well be issues here.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan