Questions about DEPRECATED.pod

Paul Cochrane

Oct 9, 2006, 6:05:56 AM10/9/06
to parrot-...@perl.org
Hi all,

I was having a poke around in DEPRECATED.pod and I've got a couple of
questions about the items therein:

.imc file extension paragraph:

There aren't any .imc files in parrot anymore as far as I can tell.
So, should this paragraph be in DEPRECATED.pod anymore? If not, I can
supply a patch removing it. From looking at the parrot-porters thread
associated with the paragraph, there might still be some outstanding
issues, with this change. Is this still the case?

Deprecated opcodes paragraph:

To remove the deprecated C<fetchmethod> opcode does one simply remove
the references to it in src/ops/object.ops (and other .ops files), and
remove the function from src/ops/ops.num? Does one then move all of
the ops numbers "up" so that there isn't a gap caused by removing the
opcodes? Is this relabelling of the opcode numbers going to break
anything else? If not, should I go through and remove references to
C<fetchmethod> and fix up ops.num and patch?

Thanks heaps in advance!

Paul

Bernhard Schmalhofer

Oct 9, 2006, 5:19:47 PM10/9/06
to Paul Cochrane, parrot-...@perl.org
Paul Cochrane schrieb:

> Hi all,
>
> I was having a poke around in DEPRECATED.pod and I've got a couple of
> questions about the items therein:
>
> .imc file extension paragraph:
>
> There aren't any .imc files in parrot anymore as far as I can tell.
> So, should this paragraph be in DEPRECATED.pod anymore? If not, I can
> supply a patch removing it. From looking at the parrot-porters thread
> associated with the paragraph, there might still be some outstanding
> issues, with this change. Is this still the case?
AFAIK all '*.imc' have been renamed.

> Deprecated opcodes paragraph:
>
> To remove the deprecated C<fetchmethod> opcode does one simply remove
> the references to it in src/ops/object.ops (and other .ops files), and
> remove the function from src/ops/ops.num? Does one then move all of
> the ops numbers "up" so that there isn't a gap caused by removing the
> opcodes? Is this relabelling of the opcode numbers going to break
> anything else? If not, should I go through and remove references to
> C<fetchmethod> and fix up ops.num and patch?
I think you mostly got it.
For the renumbering of src/ops/ops.num you can use
make -f tools/dev/ops_renum.mak
Also see the notes in PBC_COMPAT.

CU, Bernhard

Paul Cochrane

Oct 10, 2006, 4:22:14 AM10/10/06
to Bernhard Schmalhofer, parrot-...@perl.org
> > To remove the deprecated C<fetchmethod> opcode does one simply remove
> > the references to it in src/ops/object.ops (and other .ops files), and
> > remove the function from src/ops/ops.num? Does one then move all of
> > the ops numbers "up" so that there isn't a gap caused by removing the
> > opcodes? Is this relabelling of the opcode numbers going to break
> > anything else? If not, should I go through and remove references to
> > C<fetchmethod> and fix up ops.num and patch?
> I think you mostly got it.
> For the renumbering of src/ops/ops.num you can use
> make -f tools/dev/ops_renum.mak
> Also see the notes in PBC_COMPAT.

Thanks Bernhard! Added to my todo list :-)

Paul