[perl #42411] [PARTIALPATCH] Building a 32bit parrot on freebsd under amd64 fails.

Joshua Isom

Apr 10, 2007, 4:32:42 AM4/10/07
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by Joshua Isom
# Please include the string: [perl #42411]

I recently got a new amd64 machine and worked on getting parrot
running, which was fairly simple. Then I wanted to get a 32 bit
version built for testing as well, and cross comparison. However, a
few problems were encountered. The first was that on freebsd, archname
is amd64-freebsd and doesn't contain x86_64. A quick patch led to
horrible failure on configure. Attached is a patch that will allow
parrot to successfully configure parrot for 32 bits on a 64 bit
platform.

Now, parrot will not compile. The first problem is in src/exec_save.c,
in that R_386_32 and R_386_PC32 are not defined. Right now, it takes
'perl Configure.pl --m=32 --execcapable=0' to configure parrot and get
past exec_save.c, it fails at compilers/imcc/imcparser.c with
"compilers/imcc/imcparser.c:885: error: conflicting types for 'malloc'"

WRT the patch, it changes it to modify flags instead of the compiler,
since at least for freebsd, cxx is hardcoded to g++ for some reason,
ignoring any previous modification. I have no clue how(or if) it will
affect linux on amd64(or x86_64 as they like it).

defaults_amd64.patch

James Keenan via RT

Dec 31, 2007, 6:31:35 PM12/31/07
to perl6-i...@perl.org
I'm wondering if there's any way we could move forward on the issues
discussed in this thread (which has been classified as STALLED for some
time now).

For example, could we simply say that on amd64-freebsd, 32-bit Parrot is
not supported at the present time?