[perl #38960] [BUG] test troubles

Leopold Toetsch

Apr 21, 2006, 5:44:41 PM4/21/06
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by Leopold Toetsch
# Please include the string: [perl #38960]

I get this on x86/linux

languages/perl6 $ perl t/harness t/01-sanity/01-tap.t
t/01-sanity/01-tap....ok

[fine]

But on darwin 10.3

languages/perl6 $ perl t/harness t/01-sanity/01-tap.t
t/01-sanity/01-tap....Can't exec /usr/bin/pugs at t/01-sanity/01-tap.t
line 1.

(pugs isn't in any path on both machines)
This make all tests failing.

Another? problem is with pheme tests:

pheme $ make test
/usr/bin/perl5.8.8 -Ilib t/harness t/*.t
/bin/sh: line 1: /usr/bin/perl5.8.8: No such file or directory

leo

Matt Diephouse

Apr 21, 2006, 5:49:10 PM4/21/06
to perl6-i...@perl.org
via RT Leopold Toetsch <parrotbug...@parrotcode.org> wrote:
> # New Ticket Created by Leopold Toetsch
> # Please include the string: [perl #38960]
>
> I get this on x86/linux
>
> languages/perl6 $ perl t/harness t/01-sanity/01-tap.t
> t/01-sanity/01-tap....ok
>
> [fine]
>
> But on darwin 10.3
>
> languages/perl6 $ perl t/harness t/01-sanity/01-tap.t
> t/01-sanity/01-tap....Can't exec /usr/bin/pugs at t/01-sanity/01-tap.t
> line 1.
>
> (pugs isn't in any path on both machines)
> This make all tests failing.

On 10.4.6 (Intel) I get:

languages/perl6 mdiep$ perl t/harness t/01-sanity/01-tap.t
t/01-sanity/01-tap....ok
2/10 skipped: various reasons
languages/perl6 mdiep$ pugs
-bash: pugs: command not found

--
matt diephouse
http://matt.diephouse.com

Chromatic

Apr 21, 2006, 5:52:39 PM4/21/06
to perl6-i...@perl.org, Leopold Toetsch, bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
On Friday 21 April 2006 14:44, Leopold Toetsch wrote:

> I get this on x86/linux
>
> languages/perl6 $ perl t/harness t/01-sanity/01-tap.t
> t/01-sanity/01-tap....ok
>
> [fine]
>
> But on darwin 10.3
>
> languages/perl6 $ perl t/harness t/01-sanity/01-tap.t
> t/01-sanity/01-tap....Can't exec /usr/bin/pugs at t/01-sanity/01-tap.t
> line 1.
>
> (pugs isn't in any path on both machines)
> This make all tests failing.
>

> Another? problem is with pheme tests:
>
> pheme $ make test
> /usr/bin/perl5.8.8 -Ilib t/harness t/*.t
> /bin/sh: line 1: /usr/bin/perl5.8.8: No such file or directory

Which version of Test::Harness do you have installed?

Can you add a single line at the end of t/harness for either or both languages
and report what it prints?

warn "<$ENV{HARNESS_PERL}>\n";

-- c

Megavlad@Gmail

Apr 22, 2006, 3:01:01 PM4/22/06
to perl6-i...@perl.org
Hey, new guy here.

I'm really interested in the parrot bytecode. What are the files/dirs I
should be looking at to understand everything about packfiles, including
layout, api to deal with it, extracting, writing, JIT compiling, etc.

I took a look at the parrot bytecode format page, at parrotcode.org
under 'Doc>Parrot Design, Internals And Development>Bytecode Format
(PBC) <http://www.parrotcode.org/docs/parrotbyte.html>' but I didn't get
enough information to navigate myself around.

thanks
vlad

Jonathan Worthington

Apr 22, 2006, 6:56:38 PM4/22/06
to megavlad@gmail, perl6-i...@perl.org
"megavlad@gmail" <mega...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey, new guy here.

Welcome. :-)

> I'm really interested in the parrot bytecode. What are the files/dirs I
> should be looking at to understand everything about packfiles, including
> layout, api to deal with it, extracting, writing, JIT compiling, etc.

Well, the bytecode format doc that you have already seen should tell you
everything about the layout, except it's missing at least one thing (info on
the PIC segment). The API is described here:
http://www.parrotcode.org/docs/packfile-c.html
Though IMHO it's a bit of a mess - I was looking at moving packfile stuff
into PMCs, but haven't found the tuits to get anywhere with that.

As for the source tree, packfile.c itself is worth a look for reading in
packfiles and also packout.c for writing them. If you want an example of
using the packfiles API check out perhaps pdump.c or maybe pbc_merge.c; I
wrote the second of these when I was first trying to understand packfile
stuff, so it's reasonably well commented. The JIT subsystem is another
chunk of Parrot and quite seperate from the packfiles stuff.

Hope this helps a little,

Jonathan