[perl #38393] [BUG] make clean removes languages/Makefile too soon

Bernhard Schmalhofer

Feb 1, 2006, 3:33:12 AM2/1/06
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by Bernhard Schmalhofer
# Please include the string: [perl #38393]

Hi,

when doing a 'make clean' I get an error from

make -C languages clean

because 'languages/Makefile' is removed, before the 'languages-clean'
dependency of 'clean' is executed.
The culprit seems to be the 'prog-clean' dependency of 'clean', that
depends on 'archclean', which removes '$GEN_MAKEFILES'.

There are two other things I find confusing in the root Makefile:
i. $(GEN_MAKEFILES) and $(GEN_CONFIGS) are in in $(STICKY_FILES)
and seperatly in the 'archclean' target.
ii. Leading tabs mark the command section of rules. That's why they are
neccessary in Makefiles. Using tabs additionally for laying out lists is
confusing.

--
Bernhard